Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
As said not bothered ,not that I don’t like Silves I want to know where I can park at Tavira now.

Can I make a suggestion? - if your actually travelling on the Algarve at the moment just drive to Tavira and cruise around and look for a spot you like - be it campsite or wild parking and then after you have stayed there you can tell the rest of us all about it if you so wish :)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Can I make a suggestion? - if your actually travelling on the Algarve at the moment just drive to Tavira and cruise around and look for a spot you like - be it campsite or wild parking and then after you have stayed there you can tell the rest of us all about it if you so wish :)
I feel that you don’t embody the idea of the fun website,all I asked was where is it possible to park in Tavira now that everyone has been moved from the market car park?
If you look at my other posts you will see that I’am not in Portugal at present.
Regards Trevor.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I feel that you don’t embody the idea of the fun website,all I asked was where is it possible to park in Tavira now that everyone has been moved from the market car park?
If you look at my other posts you will see that I’am not in Portugal at present.
Regards Trevor.

Well Trevor - I don’t really want to consider nor care whether I embody the idea of the fun website or not - however my suggestion to you was based on you actually wanting the information right now as I obviously was under the impression wrongly that you had an urgent need to know maybe even for this evening.

My observations being on the ground as it were right now on the Algarve, and not staying in one place and just lingering here for a short while before onward travels, is that availability of campsites - the acceptance or otherwise of wild camping ( parking) is extreamly liquid and seems to change on a daily basis - just like the weather here - which itself is having an effect on where many choose to head for to camp /Park - a British guy, not a Funster, left Lagos yesterday for Silves (inland) and apparently along with many others to avoid the heavy storm battering Lagos stadium car park and again even at Lagos today where there is no entry on the stadium camping car park due to a Gypsy fair taking place on there tomorrow. All these factors are likely to make it difficult for a longer term view on where will be available in Tavira :)

I personally don’t have much interest in the Algarve East of Luz really and prefer west of Luz and the west coast - not the Algarve in general but that will not embody me in the spirit of the jammed and cramped places that most seem to prefer - probably to my benefit :)

Regards Chris.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Well Trevor - I don’t really want to consider nor care whether I embody the idea of the fun website or not - however my suggestion to you was based on you actually wanting the information right now as I obviously was under the impression wrongly that you had an urgent need to know maybe even for this evening.

My observations being on the ground as it were right now on the Algarve, and not staying in one place and just lingering here for a short while before onward travels, is that availability of campsites - the acceptance or otherwise of wild camping ( parking) is extreamly liquid and seems to change on a daily basis - just like the weather here - which itself is having an effect on where many choose to head for to camp /Park - a British guy, not a Funster, left Lagos yesterday for Silves (inland) and apparently along with many others to avoid the heavy storm battering Lagos stadium car park and again even at Lagos today where there is no entry on the stadium camping car park due to a Gypsy fair taking place on there tomorrow. All these factors are likely to make it difficult for a longer term view on where will be available in Tavira :)

I personally don’t have much interest in the Algarve East of Luz really and prefer west of Luz and the west coast - not the Algarve in general but that will not embody me in the spirit of the jammed and cramped places that most seem to prefer - probably to my benefit :)

Regards Chris.
Well I find this an interesting and very vague post from a fellow funster asking a very simple question,from what I gather from your post is that you were one that was moved but personally you don’t t like that end of the Algarve. Very confused , all I asked was whether it was from the market car park you were moved from not a diatribe about where you liked or not. Again I will say not in the spirit of Fun to be so shall I say unhelpful. My take on Portugal is every region has its good and bad points and it’s not for me to put anyone off visiting any one of them but to let them decide for themselves. Personally we love every region of Portugal and would not put anyone off visiting this country.
Regards Trevor.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Our recent (around Christmas and New Year) experience of Portugal (both in Algarve and elsewhere) was that camp sites were quiet, inexpensive, and pleasant, and “offsite” places were packed, often had people who had clearly been there for a very long time and we’re clearly “camping” rather than “parking”, and were to us quite unpleasant. We spent only one night in such a place (a Barragem) and left early the next morning.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Well I find this an interesting and very vague post from a fellow funster asking a very simple question,from what I gather from your post is that you were one that was moved but personally you don’t t like that end of the Algarve. Very confused , all I asked was whether it was from the market car park you were moved from not a diatribe about where you liked or not. Again I will say not in the spirit of Fun to be so shall I say unhelpful. My take on Portugal is every region has its good and bad points and it’s not for me to put anyone off visiting any one of them but to let them decide for themselves. Personally we love every region of Portugal and would not put anyone off visiting this country.
Regards Trevor.

No Trevor - I was not at Tavira and have actually never been moved on fortunately but that may well be due to the places that I choose to stop, if i’m not on a campsite.

My reply to you is an attempt to explain my findings most recently on the fluidity of the situation here on the Algarve of your question “I want to know where I can park at Tavira now”.

The diatribe is really the fun website general chit chat that takes place on most threads and can digress quite widely from the original thread as you might well be aware :) and not specifically for your consumption only.

Others looking to visit the Algarve may well find my observations helpful and useful and in the spirit of the Fun website - others like yourself maybe not - however it may help in understanding that nothing in the availability stakes here is certain.

Many Funsters exercise their right to give their views of likes and dislikes on this forum and make them only too obvious. I think I too have that right albeit on the odd rare occasion.

Yes - I too, similar to you, like many of the other regions of Portugal, the Algarve in general not so, as previously stated :)

Regards Chris.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Our recent (around Christmas and New Year) experience of Portugal (both in Algarve and elsewhere) was that camp sites were quiet, inexpensive, and pleasant, and “offsite” places were packed, often had people who had clearly been there for a very long time and we’re clearly “camping” rather than “parking”, and were to us quite unpleasant. We spent only one night in such a place (a Barragem) and left early the next morning.
Yes I agree with you that some campsites are very nice and inexpensive but one we went to which I think was Porto Covo was like a prison camp,you had to enter through a turnstile to book in. Then your other half had to to enter this way while you drove in, not my idea of nice and relaxing. We DO love Portugal and go where we like not be corralled in like an animal.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
No Trevor - I was not at Tavira and have actually never been moved on fortunately but that may well be due to the places that I choose to stop, if i’m not on a campsite.

My reply to you is an attempt to explain my findings most recently on the fluidity of the situation here on the Algarve of your question “I want to know where I can park at Tavira now”.

The diatribe is really the fun website general chit chat that takes place on most threads and can digress quite widely from the original thread as you might well be aware :) and not specifically for your consumption only.

Others looking to visit the Algarve may well find my observations helpful and useful and in the spirit of the Fun website - others like yourself maybe not - however it may help in understanding that nothing in the availability stakes here is certain.

Many Funsters exercise their right to give their views of likes and dislikes on this forum and make them only too obvious. I think I too have that right albeit on the odd rare occasion.

Yes - I too, similar to you, like many of the other regions of Portugal, the Algarve in general not so, as previously stated :)

Regards Chris.
Confused.com
Your post was to myself and one other seems unhelpful and vague but in the spirit of Fun not unusual so it seems,still not sure where you were amongst others as you say when moved. I over the last couple of years said where was good to stay and in so help others,if you want to be vague so be it,end of.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Confused.com
Your post was to myself and one other seems unhelpful and vague but in the spirit of Fun not unusual so it seems,still not sure where you were amongst others as you say when moved. I over the last couple of years said where was good to stay and in so help others,if you want to be vague so be it,end of.

Oh dear...oh dear ...Oh dear - yes you are confused old dear lol. I was not moved on!!! I was at Silves and my first post was in reply to post No.4 regarding Silves where I was one of the 26 vans parked outside that campsite who were accused by @spitfire - no one was moved on from there! :)

Nos da!! :)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Oh dear...oh dear ...Oh dear - yes you are confused old dear lol. I was not moved on!!! I was at Silves and my first post was in reply to post No.4 regarding Silves where I was one of the 26 vans parked outside that campsite who were accused by @spitfire - no one was moved on from there! :)

Nos da!! :)
So why not state that instead of commenting on something that happened several kilometres away????????

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
So why not state that instead of commenting on something that happened several kilometres away????????

Lol - I did state that very clearly if you read the thread - and how many others have commented on here including you besides me on something that happened many hundreds or thousands of kilometres away - let alone my several kilometres away lol - “embody the idea of the fun website” - maybe? :)

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
I was there on the morning in question.
To go to the market and shopping centre.
So you can't park in Tavria.

Deleted User
I was there on the morning in question.
To go to the market and shopping centre.
So you can't park in Tavria.

Was that on the surfaced car park for the market or the unsurfaced one a bit further away which has the no motorhomes signs on?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I am, can't speak for @hildweller, you were on a car park without facilities of any sort, a fundamental difference to the people inside the aire who are paying to use the facilities, including the wifi, the efficacy of which will be much reduced by people using it outside.

Queuing up outside a camp site on a public car park would not be tolerated in the UK or any other Northern European country, why do you think that it is acceptable in Portugal.

Knowing the history ofvthe car park I would doubt very much that many of the people using it were waiting for a place in the aire lol:)

As far as I am aware the aire is run as a private enterprise on a franchise basis.
You are indeed correct as I think the majority of people know deep down. There is space on said site/aire and still they park outside and use the facilities without paying and very obviously waiting till the owners are not there to take advantage all to save 2 euros and when challenged actually lie to say of course we have paid so I am sorry but these people are no better than thieves and spoil the reputation of all motorhomers.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am, can't speak for @hildweller,

This is bugging me now. I've looked and looked and have no idea where we are talking about, the heading is Tavira but what seems to fit is Santa Luzia.

Can you post a Google maps link.

Deleted User
This is bugging me now. I've looked and looked and have no idea where we are talking about, the heading is Tavira but what seems to fit is Santa Luzia.

Confused/.....not surprised, the OP was about being moved from a car park next to the market in Tavira.

@champers then mentioned a car park outside Parque do Rio in Silves which was used for mass motorhome parking in the past before the new aire opened.

I will try and post a link but may have to make do with GPS co-ords, there are 2 places in Santa Luzia, one is free, this one
DSCF0363.JPG

DSCF0360.JPG

This one half a mile up the road at Pedras del Rei costs about €5

DSCF0366.JPG

You pays your money (or not) and makes your choice:)......neither have any facilities.

Deleted User

Tavira market

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@37.1233983,-7.6452199,394m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Santa Luzia

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@37.099877,-7.6639268,226m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Pedras del Rei

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...7fc868a8984!8m2!3d37.0926216!4d-7.67657?hl=en

Parque do Rio, Silves

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@37.1853667,-8.4438208,319m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Deleted User
I appreciate it is each to his own, however, surely that free aire pictured above cannot be any place to stop with your partner other than to park up for a look around the town or max 1 night in transit to somewhere better.

Deleted User
I appreciate it is each to his own, however, surely that free aire pictured above cannot be any place to stop with your partner other than to park up for a look around the town or max 1 night in transit to somewhere better.

There is a large Concorde or similar + car + trailer, French I think, that stays on the front row, 2nd pic, most of the winter for the last few years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back