All moved from Tavira (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
A motorhomes moved from Tavira this morning at 10.00am.
Police turned up with van and car also tow truck. Gave every one ten minutes to move before issueing tickets .
The carpark by the market.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Wondered why there were 26 vans parked outside the Park do Rio aire this morning ..

Kath

Deleted User
A motorhomes moved from Tavira this morning at 10.00am.
Police turned up with van and car also tow truck. Gave every one ten minutes to move before issueing tickets .
The carpark by the market.

There are signs prohibiting motorhomes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Wondered why there were 26 vans parked outside the Park do Rio aire this morning ..

Kath
And free again where there is possibility of being fined . 8am to 8pm parking only . And they wonder why we are becoming unwelcome in certain areas of Europe

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
And free again where there is possibility of being fined . 8am to 8pm parking only . And they wonder why we are becoming unwelcome in certain areas of Europe

Well - that park is council owned I believe so perhaps they should designate that bit of the car park where those 26 were parked, and I was one of them, for campsite overspill - it’s right alongside the campsite and then we could have been charged! Most there were trying to get into the campsite - that is why they were there!!

Personally for perhaps my once in a long while stopover there usually just one night I think it’s better out there in the car park than in the packed campsite! :) Oh - and if you have been in the campsite before and used their Wi-fi - it works well in the car park outside as well :)

Last edited:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Your last
Well - that park is council owned I believe so perhaps they should designate that bit of the car park where those 26 were parked, and I was one of them, for campsite overspill - it’s right alongside the campsite and then we could have been charged! Most there were trying to get into the campsite - that is why they were there!!

Personally for perhaps my once in a long while stopover there usually just one night I think it’s better out there in the car park than in the packed campsite! :) Oh - and if you have been in the campsite before and used their Wi-fi - it works well in the car park outside as well :)
Your last phrase confirms exactly my comment .

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I am still very happily off-site motorhoming in the Algarve without causing any problems to the GNR or the locals and spending loads of dosh with local businesses... :)

The only folk I seem to upset are the gang of Anti Off-Site "motorhomers" on Fun. :whistle:

Mind you, they upset me too with their blinkered and often ill informed views on us Rufty Tufty vanners, who have no desire to pay for facilities we don't want or need or use. :(

I am currently on a very pleasant off-site area with a few other vanners, several of who meet up here regularily. Tomorrow I will head north and stop off at other, similar locations on my way back to Paradise aka QMJ. (y)

JJ :cool:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
tavira used to be really good . one of the old mayors used to come by and say hello. one year we were all given free tickets to a music festival with free food as well.
often got invited to things happening in the town.
early 2000,s . they stopped alot of the parking at 4 aguas and told every one to use the ground by pingo doyce.
you park in the town square area and under the road bridge area .
but times change . i still have the poster for one of the festivals in my trailer , was an accordion festival ,really good entertainment.
like every where its not like it was twenty years ago.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
In the good old days before that rich local business man built the big campsite at Conceicão (when the council changed the rules!)... (n)

think back handers etc ruled the way.
i know my kids used to love us going there years ago. even got trips in the boats at 4 aguas . and the turtles in the town was great for them to see,
mind i remember stopping in the forest are near quarteira on the east side . used to be a great place .
never mind at least we saw it in its best times . i often think how lucky i was in the early 60,s traveling around with my parents . remember benidorm with about tree big hotels .
my youngest had a spell out with me in spain a couple years ago he is now 39yrs old but we went to lots places we went to when he was only about 8 yr old , he has good memories as well.
mind it did snow the morning we were at punta prima . he will remember that for life.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

No different in UK when a load of "travellers" turn up. Everyone gets upset, including FUNsters. But do it in Portugal and they are supposed to welcome us ? If 26 travellers turned up in Macclesfield it would all over the papers and local TV.

Deleted User
In the good old days before that rich local business man built the big campsite at Conceicão (when the council changed the rules!)... (n)

That campsite, I am reliably informed, has been full since we left in January with probably about 200/250 units.

Strangely enough most of those campers spend money in the local economy as well as providing employment for probably around 20 locals, business opportunities for the restaurant and shop on site.

Since the 'good old days' mentioned the number of motorhomes and caravans visiting the area has probably trebled, where would you suggest that all these extra visitors stay.

Things change, nothing stays the same, life goes on.......

I find it strange that many people seem proud to support local businesses in the way of restaurants, cafes and bars but object to supporting businesses set up by 'rich' businessmen with the intention of not only making a profit, which is the aim of all businesses, but providing employment and a boost to other local businesses.

The owners of the Ria Formosa campsite are very hands on, friendly and nice to deal with, obviously they run the site with a view to making a profit, that's what makes the world go round.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Capitalist pig dog swines living off the backs of the downtrodden masses... (n)
Long live the revolution.

I blame Thatcher.

I blame Barclays;)

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
No different in UK when a load of "travellers" turn up. Everyone gets upset, including FUNsters. But do it in Portugal and they are supposed to welcome us ? If 26 travellers turned up in Macclesfield it would all over the papers and local TV.

Are you actually aware of the campsite here in Portugal and know the car park area in question? - the 26 travellers outside the site were exactly the same as the 40 or so travellers inside the campsite who had the advantage of the facilities - the 26 outside were all presumably hoping 26 inside would leave lol :)

The outside 26 went there specifically ( as I did ) to go inside the campsite and use their facilities :)

Maybe a good idea for the papers and tv in Silves to put it all over the public view and then maybe they will take up my original post suggestion of making that part of the carpark an overflow facility for what is obviously a too small campsite - like some public car parks in the U.K. you could pay an overnight Motorhome parking fee in a machine.

Any genuine or rather intentional wild campers would not have driven there in the first place in my opinion :)

Last edited:

Deleted User
Are you actually aware of the campsite here in Portugal and know the car park area in question? - the 26 travellers outside the site were exactly the same as the 40 or so travellers inside the campsite who had the advantage of the facilities - the 26 outside were all presumably hoping 26 inside would leave lol :)

I am, can't speak for @hildweller, you were on a car park without facilities of any sort, a fundamental difference to the people inside the aire who are paying to use the facilities, including the wifi, the efficacy of which will be much reduced by people using it outside.

Queuing up outside a camp site on a public car park would not be tolerated in the UK or any other Northern European country, why do you think that it is acceptable in Portugal.

Knowing the history ofvthe car park I would doubt very much that many of the people using it were waiting for a place in the aire lol:)

As far as I am aware the aire is run as a private enterprise on a franchise basis.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I am, can't speak for @hildweller, you were on a car park without facilities of any sort, a fundamental difference to the people inside the aire who are paying to use the facilities, including the wifi, the efficacy of which will be much reduced by people using it outside.

Queuing up outside a camp site on a public car park would not be tolerated in the UK or any other Northern European country, why do you think that it is acceptable in Portugal.

Knowing the history ofvthe car park I would doubt very much that many of the people using it were waiting for a place in the aire lol:)

As far as I am aware the aire is run as a private enterprise on a franchise basis.

Your view - your entitled to it but I would not agree :)

Anyway - no time to chat here anymore - I need to go and intentionally find a wild camping spot ( on this occasion ) like @JJ has described West of Lagos :)

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Are you actually aware of the campsite here in Portugal and know the car park area in question?

No. Are you talking Camping Rio de Formosa here ?

I'm just wondering what the locals are thinking and why they sent in the troops. Always two possibilities, they feel invaded or the campsite owner feels business is threatened.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
No. Are you talking Camping Rio de Formosa here ?

I'm just wondering what the locals are thinking and why they sent in the troops. Always two possibilities, they feel invaded or the campsite owner feels business is threatened.

No - read back through the thread maybe :)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
No - read back through the thread maybe :)
OK the OP mentioned beside the market,I have parked there before. @Freespirit1 could you please explain where you were parked if it was beside a campsite ? The only campsite I know in Tavira is the police campsite and it was nearly full last October.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
used to be a real good pub right by the market and have some good rock bands playing there .
there was a time you could actually park inside the market area if it was rough weather.
mind its got a lot posher around there now . was just gravel parking .
there was another mini artic similer to mine parked there for ages . came from liverpool . had a vw lt pulling it like mine had originally . they bought some land out by one of the roundabouts , not sure if its still around tavira but was for years .

Deleted User
I'm being polite and reasonable with you, even looking hard on maps to find the site so if that is you attitude I'll stop wasting my time.

The aire in question is Campercontact 525401, Parque do Rio, Silves which only fully opened in October last year partly in response to the hundreds of motorhomes parking(camping) on the public car park near the swimming baths.

Deleted User
Your view - your entitled to it but I would not agree :)

Anyway - no time to chat here anymore - I need to go and intentionally find a wild camping spot ( on this occasion ) like @JJ has described West of Lagos :)

Motorhomes not allowed to park overnight anywhere in the Costa Vicentina Natural Park.........though I know lots do.

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm being polite and reasonable with you, even looking hard on maps to find the site so if that is you attitude I'll stop wasting my time.

My suggestion you read back through the thread was so that you could see how I and others have digressed somewhat from the title of the thread and hence arrived at the comments towards the end of the thread.

The first reply to the OP’s posting by @champers names the campsite to which much of the discussion has centred on :)

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
As said not bothered ,not that I don’t like Silves I want to know where I can park at Tavira now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back