All diesel (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
We are considering speccing a new motorhome. In the options available we could have diesel heating and a diesel cooker. If we did this then no gas would be necessary. Anyone here using a diesel cooker? Is it good.

Any comments would be gratefully appreciated

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Diesel heaters are power hungry and can be noisy,starting up and shutting down. Only experience night heaters in lorries some while back. The plus side of going all diesel is....... If you haven't got any...............NOTHING works. ;) .So you never let the tank get that low.
Tea Bag.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Modern diesel Eberspacher heaters correctly fitted aren't very noisy. Yes on fire-up they do make more noise and some fumes but with the correct controller (modulator in Eberspacher terms) they work just like a domestic central heating system.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
No gas in our van, we have a Wallas XC duo fitted and it’s great, contrary to Tea Bag’s comment, on start up it’s not power hungry and it is very economical needing a low heater(setting 1 on the 1 to 6 scale) to keep us toasty once up to temperature.
There are hundreds of VDub campers fitted and I did worry at first that the van may be too big a space to heat but we didn’t need to worry.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Sorry never heard of anyone wanting a diesel hob/cooker before, so cannot offer any help, but!
If I ever get a "next" van, then it will have diesel heating for both water & hab heating, but it will also have a Condenser F/F (not 3 way absorbsion) and an induction hob, needless to say it will have sufficient Lithium battery back up, charged via solar & B2B.
No need for LPG tanks in any 2023/4 vans these days, or the stress of finding LPG refilling stations here in the UK, so much less hassle with very cold winter usage, anywhere.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Sorry never heard of anyone wanting a diesel hob/cooker before, so cannot offer any help, but!
If I ever get a "next" van, then it will have diesel heating for both water & hab heating, but it will also have a Condenser F/F (not 3 way absorbsion) and an induction hob, needless to say it will have sufficient Lithium battery back up, charged via solar & B2B.
No need for LPG tanks in any 2023/4 vans these days, or the stress of finding LPG refilling stations here in the UK, so much less hassle with very cold winter usage, anywhere.
LES
I didn’t see the sense in having to search for gas when I can just fill up with diesel. Even in 2019 when we started getting the van completed I thought Gas supply was going to be an issue. I have always thought Calorgas was a bloody rubbish company to deal with ( we had caravans before) and didn’t know about flogas. The other issue was safety, I didn’t like the idea of underslung gas tanks in the event of a crash, vans are notoriously poor in crashes, Coachbuilts even worse.

davidroxburgh

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 16, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Lithium has helped the trend away from LPG hugely. I have heard no negative stuff about the diesel hobs. The only snag I can see is the move to smaller diesel tanks - but if you have to refill more frequently anyway, the hob is not going to be a significant extra drain.
Our van (2017) came with Compressor fridge and Eberspacher diesel heater - so too much space is taken by a small gas bottle that has to be got out to top up. The heater is great and Lithium with B2B and solar with Li settings is fine. No gas would be perfection!
Go for it.

davidroxburgh

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 16, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Another thread has reminded me that we tend to put in the better quality diesel. Our heating system is about to have its first flush (!) in 6 years so perhaps the only 2 issues are Lithium and better diesel. Neither of these points are a negative for me.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We have a diesel heater, yes it roars a bit on start up but doesn’t last long.
I looked at a diesel hob, ouch, they are expensive! Would have one if I could.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think Yorick may be the one who uses a diesel hob for safety reasons due to carrying his motorcycle inside the hab area.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back