Alko axle greasing is not at all difficult! (3 Viewers)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
7 to 12 on mine as soon as it starts backing up out of the nipple. Did you check the gun was primed fully first and not pumping air
Ye & All grease . No air. 46 before it became impossible to pump any in. The one nipple wouldn't reseal at all so I changed it so knowit was rammed full of grease.
I'm suspicious whether it had been done before.when he bought it privately he asked the original owner whether can belt had been done & he had no idea .

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Ye & All grease . No air. 46 before it became impossible to pump any in. The one nipple wouldn't reseal at all so I changed it so knowit was rammed full of grease.
I'm suspicious whether it had been done before.when he bought it privately he asked the original owner whether cam belt had been done & he had no idea .
Wouldn't recommend greasing the Cam Belt Gus:rofl::rofl:

Can't recommend using a scissor Jack for Anything other than road side emergency never ever, you will still suffer crush injuries even with a good ground clearance (Bounce) as our good Fireman friend knows only too well im sure

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Isn't pumping grease I until full a bad practice, as strange as it may seem because it can generate heat and lose its efficiency? .

OP
OP
Techno

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Best advice is take it to a garage, they'll stuff it up for you :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
From Alko website....

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/pages_faqs/axles-2.html
Should I grease my AL-KO axles?

Yes. We recommend greasing your AL-KO axles every 20,000 Km, or once a year whichever comes sooner.

Ideally jack the motorhome so both wheels are off the ground. The grease nipples are situated on the axle tube.

5-7 pumps of a hand grease gun for each side should be sufficient, until resistance is felt. Excess greasing could break the seals and fill the torsion tube.

We recommend 3 greases: Shell Retinax LX, Co. Kluber GL 1501 and Co. CONDA 3746 SP.

Failure to grease regularly could result in a requirement to replace the axles

As stated in paragraph 2....Alko also recommend raising BOTH ends together.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
my van is a 5 tonne tag axle, so other than an emergency tyre change, all jacking up is done in a properly equipped workshop. you just need to ensure that your chosen garage know the correct method for greasing alko axles. a great many don't know they are any different to old fashioned car axles

John&Kate

Free Member
Aug 30, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Sept 2015
Im glad I caught this post yesterday, as today I greased up my tag AT. Well pleased, lending on the info supplied by @pappajohn I didnt over-grease. Since I have owned this MH for the last (almost) 2 years I know that this is a service item that has not been done, so I opted to do slightly more than the recomended 5-7 pumps, it did not over-spill therefore I did not "keepgoing" not wanting to cause other problems by putting in too much grease.

Thanks @Techno for bringing this to out attention (although 4 years ago) (y):D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

RetiredPope

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 9, 2015
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 640
Exp
4yrs so still a newbie
Just had a look at my Autotrail Apache 700SE (2009). The manual describes the chassis as Fiat/Alko but doesn't give and further details. The bar/axle across the van is square not round, and mounted in line with the rear wheels, but below the centre. The clearance under the bar is about 6". The suspension is then leaf spring and dampers. Can't see any grease nipples, but if we go over a bump to fast, then the suspension does groan.

Anyone know whether this type of axle is Fiat or Alko, and whether/where it should be greased?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just had a look at my Autotrail Apache 700SE (2009). The manual describes the chassis as Fiat/Alko but doesn't give and further details. The bar/axle across the van is square not round, and mounted in line with the rear wheels, but below the centre. The clearance under the bar is about 6". The suspension is then leaf spring and dampers. Can't see any grease nipples, but if we go over a bump to fast, then the suspension does groan.

Anyone know whether this type of axle is Fiat or Alko, and whether/where it should be greased?
That is a Fiat chassis, Al-Ko is torsion bar inside the axle, no springs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back