Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Hi All

We have just taken our Pilote 716 out for our first weekend in the worst weather conditions of the year so far....

Anyway we sat down with all the manuals (of which there are loads) emptying fresh water filling it back up again purging the system, moving table positions sorting out TV emptying the grey waste and the cartridge for the loo getting our heads round the heating system!! Basically we have played with all the buttons!!
Anyway we have the Alde heating system which works very well but there is a switch at ankle height on the right hand side of the habitation door just below drinks cabinet (very 1970's). When you switch this on there is a whirring sound I'm sure its connected to the heating but not sure what it does?? Any advice greatly appreciated.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If I have to guess I would say it is the pump to preheat the engine through a heat exchanger, Do you have the heat exchanger option?

Martin

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have a similar switch on our Hymer & it controls a fan under the floor which pushes extra heat to the rear of the moho.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
If I have to guess I would say it is the pump to preheat the engine through a heat exchanger, Do you have the heat exchanger option?

Martin
I'm not sure I have asked the dealer who didn't know but to be fair to him he was on the end of the phone so not sure he knew what I was going on about. To be honest I've called him so many times I think he's losing the will!!:D:D
I have to go back in a few weeks to get an MOT and to sort any issues so I'm sure we will sort it then but its bugging me!!

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
If the switch only works on EHU its most likely engine pre-heat (very nice). Otherwise look for an air inlet, usually at the entrance, if so its a fan assist for the heating, could be a three position switch.

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
If the switch only works on EHU its most likely engine pre-heat (very nice). Otherwise look for an air inlet, usually at the entrance, if so its a fan assist for the heating, could be a three position switch.
Probably a silly question but why would you need an engine preheat?
See pic but if you follow the steps up and around into the lounge then there are are vents around at floor level. However I cant feel much air coming out when the fan (if that's what it is) is on?
Switch.jpg

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
On our Alde system there is a switch beside the drivers seat (LHD) which I often kick on by mistake.
There is an extra fan and radiator under the seat to give extra heat to the drivers feet.
If this is where your whirring sound is coming from you might have the same arrangement.

Richard.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You don't need EHU to operate the ALDE engine preheat.

Martin

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Probably a silly question but why would you need an engine preheat?...
There is an optional Alde exchange facility so we have a button which heats the engine before starting off (gets engine up to speed quicker, helping screen clearance, fuel, wear and tear - freezing if etc) and while moving allows the engine heat to circulate thus saving gas while keeping the whole van warm.

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
The whirring sound is coming from under the seat where the leisure battery is stored and there are some vents at floor level in this area.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
You don't need EHU to operate the ALDE engine preheat.

Martin
Mine only works on EHU I think the pump is 220v. The switch indicator doesn't light and the pump doesn't run unless on EHU.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Probably a silly question but why would you need an engine preheat?
See pic but if you follow the steps up and around into the lounge then there are are vents around at floor level. However I cant feel much air coming out when the fan (if that's what it is) is on?View attachment 290826
If that is the switch it looks like it is more to do with the habitation side of things so yes quite possibly a fan of some sort.

Martin

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
The previous owners had all sorts of weird things added and modified, I don't know why. When I bought it it had 2 owners ,2 years old and 2000 miles on the clock. The dealer who originally supplied it (Lowdhams) said it was constantly returned for extras and warranty problems (one was unable to tell the difference between cruise control and speed limiter) which accounted for all the mileage. So don't think my van is "standard".

OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Thanks everyone the vans not at home at the moment but I will check out under the seat and see what I find.

Seem to think this might be heat distribution system when you first put heating on as it’s quite slow to warm up.

Thanks again

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back