Alarm & Tracker - any recommendations please ? (1 Viewer)

Clattergate

Free Member
Dec 11, 2018
Funster No
MH
Vw California
Exp
20 years
I'm in the process of changing van, the dealer fits Vodafone Alarms and trackers but they seem very expensive ... Any recommendations for proactive Thatcham approved options gratefully received

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
there is really only one i would recommend having had it fitted to all our vans to date. that is Vanbitz, Strikeback or if you have deeper pockets Growler.
they will also sort the tracker.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
PS; and i think you still get a discount for being a Fun member just look it up in the resources section before you book.

Woodster

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Woodbridge Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
We our newbies
Vabitz do they have Mobile installers country wide or is it on site only. We are waiting for our motorhome to arrive at dealers in a fortnights time and we live in Suffolk. :smiley:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
We have a Vodafone VTS tracker and are well impressed with them, even drove round the storage yard a couple of weeks ago so must have just slipped out of the geofence area and did not have the token with us and immediately got a text and phone call. We have a different alarm and are pleased with that but not a Vodafone one but would maybe look at a combined one next time but I guess Vodafone are not geared to MH's whereas the chap who fitted the alarm does them for the dealer so knows what needs to be covered and how to fit them etc but would be good to get an alert if the alarm went off.

Because we have a SP it keeps the tracker battery topped up and with the APP you can see it anytime plus where the van is and also set status such as garage or ferry mode. Another good thing is you see where you have been on the APP and web.

Oct 21, 2018
Funster No
MH
Malibu PVC
Exp
40+ years Caravanning & M/homes
As the BBC would say in regard of Vanbitz, other products are available!
Out Smart The Thief's Lockdown system is also effective and popular - Alarm, Tracker and Immobiliser combined - and they will come to you to install.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
We have a Vodafone VTS tracker and are well impressed with them, even drove round the storage yard a couple of weeks ago so must have just slipped out of the geofence area and did not have the token with us and immediately got a text and phone call. We have a different alarm and are pleased with that but not a Vodafone one but would maybe look at a combined one next time but I guess Vodafone are not geared to MH's whereas the chap who fitted the alarm does them for the dealer so knows what needs to be covered and how to fit them etc but would be good to get an alert if the alarm went off.

Because we have a SP it keeps the tracker battery topped up and with the APP you can see it anytime plus where the van is and also set status such as garage or ferry mode. Another good thing is you see where you have been on the APP and web.

Have to advise you don't have to drive the vehicle with the Vanbitz system. Not going to say what happens as just info for less desirables. Am happy that I don't need to move the thing before someone says IS THAT YOU!

Also given current situation had a general email query Vanbitz replied within an hour and so did the tracking firm.

wish they did chassis mounted ebike carriers.

Last minute thought can also confirm, by accident, that the growler alarm is just a bit loud.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
Have to advise you don't have to drive the vehicle with the Vanbitz system. Not going to say what happens as just info for less desirables. Am happy that I don't need to move the thing before someone says IS THAT YOU!

Also given current situation had a general email query Vanbitz replied within an hour and so did the tracking firm.

wish they did chassis mounted ebike carriers.

Last minute thought can also confirm, by accident, that the growler alarm is just a bit loud.
You don't with the Vodafone system either if the geofence is not set if you do not have the token with you, just that I have a geofence set in the storage yard so I can move it about to the wash pad etc. Also if someone tries to load it on a lorry or similar it will alert.

As others say above other system are available😁

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I'm in the process of changing van, the dealer fits Vodafone Alarms and trackers but they seem very expensive ... Any recommendations for proactive Thatcham approved options gratefully received
I’m sure there will be some nay sayers https://www.tracker.co.uk/ they have a range of solutions and do not rely on a mobile sim

Have to say I’m not knocking other trackers you pay your money and make your choice. Any tracker brand has to be better than none.
from memory Voda brought out Toad A few years back

Last edited:

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
I’m sure there will be some nay sayers https://www.tracker.co.uk/ they have a range of solutions and do not rely on a mobile sim

Have to say I’m not knocking other trackers you pay your money and make your choice. Any tracker brand has to be better than none.
from memory Voda brought out Toad A few years back

I think it was Cobra

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I think it was Cobra
Ah ok I knew that had brought someone as they wanted to push their mobile services so I guess if your a corporate with voda mobiles it would make sense to have your tracking system with them as well as a corporate deal.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
2A587C91-07E9-4B5A-96A7-D16A23F34106.jpeg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
beware most (all) dealer fit alarms, because they fit basic car alarms that generally tie into the can bus on the vehicle. It may sound convenient that the alarm sets with the ignition key remote, but if anyone can unlock the door, by default it turns off the alarm. A separate stand alone system with back up system and the ability to alarm all lockers and bike rack or trailer is the way to go. That leaves just one contender for the best motorhome specific alarm. Vanbitz

As for trackers, you get what you pay for, cheap not good, good not cheap

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As the BBC would say in regard of Vanbitz, other products are available!
Out Smart The Thief's Lockdown system is also effective and popular - Alarm, Tracker and Immobiliser combined - and they will come to you to install.
OSTT seems like a good system at the right price but not Thatcham approved so if it's an insurance stipulation they are a no no.

Martin

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2016
beware most (all) dealer fit alarms, because they fit basic car alarms that generally tie into the can bus on the vehicle. It may sound convenient that the alarm sets with the ignition key remote, but if anyone can unlock the door, by default it turns off the alarm. A separate stand alone system with back up system and the ability to alarm all lockers and bike rack or trailer is the way to go. That leaves just one contender for the best motorhome specific alarm. Vanbitz

As for trackers, you get what you pay for, cheap not good, good not cheap
We have all our external lockers alarmed and a flashing light in the window so still visible when blinds shut, we are happy with it and so are insurance company. I like that it sets with the locking, however does not unset by opening the door it has to be turned off and we can turn the interior sensors off at night so we can move around.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!

This is what happens when you fit an alarm/non starter from vanbitz, it stays where you left it. Most trackers will alert you to where it’s probably being stripped down or you will get there as it’s still smouldering. The non starter allows you to immobilise it so it can’t be taken as in the above post👍

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Due to the value of our MH we had to have a tracker fitted for insurance although an alarm wasn't required but we got it thrown in as part of the purchase deal (FOC) so were happy with it:

Tracker: SmarTrack Protector Pro Global TQA453 - it cost £199 to have fitted and £399 for a lifetime subscription.

Alarm: Autowatch 695 (canbus) - we've had versions of this previously on other MHs/campers and never had any issues with them so more than happy to have one on our Carthago.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Cost of vanbitz tracker and non starter please
Go to bottom of page where you can download the price list/info

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back