Alarm not setting post waterpump and radiator replacement (1 Viewer)

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Just as an aside I was speaking to a BMW service manager/security *expert* on this matter and guess what his answer was? Fit one of the steering wheel devices as they are the most visible deterrent and all an alarm does is annoy people. You are limited as to where you can fit the system and the bad boys are very good at sussing out how to overide the systems. Apparently the latest Vauxhall immobiliser was cracked within a week of the vehicles launch!
Not sure how a BMW service manager ends up being a "security expert" but as my job qualified me as one, I'll add that the "bad boys" can also bypass a steering wheel device in seconds if they want to; minutes at the most. And they frequently do, but what often pushes them towards particular vehicles and away from others is that they don't like noise that might draw attention to them whilst they are overcoming other obstacles.

It's all about layered security, and a decent alarm system has its place in that approach.

The problem with vehicle manufacturers' own alarm systems is that thieves quickly work out how to bypass them as you say, and because they set and unset with the door locks or lock fob, they are particularly vulnerable. So are aftermarket alarms which advertise themselves on the vehicle and make their installation manuals available on line to all and sundry. So look for a decent and well thought out system that recognises and avoids known compromise routes.

With teams of very knowledgeable hackers making a living in places like Bulgaria and The Lebanon from reverse engineering vehicle manufacturers' own security systems and producing tools and devices that they then sell worldwide via the internet allowing customers with no knowledge of their own to bypass them with ease, I would suggest that a multi-layered approach is essential if you are serious about protecting your pride and joy. Relying on a single device alone, whether that be a physical device or an alarm, is a bit like locking your front door and leaving the back door wide open ;)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Just as an aside I was speaking to a BMW service manager/security *expert* on this matter and guess what his answer was? Fit one of the steering wheel devices as they are the most visible deterrent and all an alarm does is annoy people. You are limited as to where you can fit the system and the bad boys are very good at sussing out how to overide the systems. Apparently the latest Vauxhall immobiliser was cracked within a week of the vehicles launch!
You are wrong, but entitled to, what is your opinion

A BMW mecanics opinion has little.or no bearing on motorhome security

Also owners with motorhomes over a certain value have no option as it is a condition of insurance.

Last edited:

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Didn't say I was right just what cropped up in conversation! Nice to stimulate debate though:rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
So you are an ex cop or similar, Come on be honest nobody responded to an alarm unless intruders on! The bottom line is that if they want to nick your pride and joy they will have it. All you are doing is slowing them down, its scanned for tracker using an app or lack of common sense or imagination by the fitters ( under a wheel arch) As you said those in *former eastern bloc* countries have the pass codes/isolating codes before most manufactures start selling the product. If you fit the alarm and or tracker and if you can prove this to your insurance company then you get paid out. If you say I left the doors open the ignition on and the keys in the lock then your insurance is invalid. The ones we read about with traced by tracker are the thick ones , the good ones very rarely get caught.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back