Alarm not setting post waterpump and radiator replacement (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Gemini alarm now not working properly after having leaking water pump and radiator replaced. Alarm arms by pressing dimpled button number 1 and the lights flash twice, the doors lock and there are two beeps. Then after 30 seconds or so, damn alarm goes off. Disarming alarm works but then get a series of (I think) five beeps.
Tried setting the alarm with us in the van as normal by pressing dimpled button number 1 followed by pressing button number 2 below number 1 within 10 seconds of pressing the first button. Same two beeps, door locking, lights flashing but then alarm goes off.
Seems like the works have scrambled the Gemini's tiny brain. (Probably the same tiny brain that wrote the mostly useless manual!
Any suggestions of what we can try? Not too worried about tonight as it's raining so hard near Sevilla, any potential thief, mugger, burglar etc would need to be mad to be out. But would like it for future nights when parked out on our own.
Thanks in advance.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Not that clued up on the Gemini alarm but only sensor that is around the area that you have work done is the bonnet sensor, worth a check that it hasn't been disturbed when the work was done

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Id make sure you haven’t dislodged a door contact first i.e. either garage door or bonnet or any other opening aperture which has a pair of magnetic contacts which could have been separated inadvertently.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Possibly some help.
2A44EAA0-E757-4524-A9B1-0DC6BE503F4F.png

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Gemini only make car alarms and motorbike alarms, so you will have a single circuit, which will be normally open, and you will have a pin switch on the bonnet

Either in the rain gutter, or, on a bracket, and a mechanic has probably lent on it and it has bent

Should be easy to spot?? Shout if you need help, replacement pin switches are pennies so should be easily replaced if you need to.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for all the responses. Still not sorted. I checked the door contacts. The little red led on the contact, came on when the door opened then went off. I found the pin contact on the bonnet and it pushed up and down freely and I can't see that it's been damaged.
We tried the following:
  1. Disarmed the alarm with the little gizmo that fits into the mini socket on the dash. The red led on the socket came on. Then we got out of the van and pressed the top, dimpled button. The doors locked, there were two beeps and two indicator flashes. That normally signifies the van is locked and alarmed. After 30 seconds, the alarm went off.
  2. We disarmed it by pressing the dimpled button and it disarmed and gave three beeps as it usually does when disarmed.
  3. We tried setting it as we would when spending the night in the van i.e. pressing the dimpled button followed by the lower button. Again we got the two beeps, two indicator flashes and then the clicking sound when you press the lower button. Again, after 30 seconds, the damned alarm went off!
So here we are, parked up in the Port in Cadiz and can't set the alarm. I'd be very grateful if someone can suggest something else to try. By the way, I replaced the small flat battery in the door sensor just in case and checked the old battery with the multimeter and it wasn't flat.
Many thanks.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Bonnet switch does seem the most likely.
Have a good look at it, and the wire, to ensure it isn't touching earth underneath then press and hold by hand while setting the alarm.
If it has been dislodged by a clumsy mechanic it may not be opening to break the circuit. Holding it by hand will open it.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Either make sure the bonnet switch is working OR disconnect the bonnet switch. After disconnecting the bonnet switch test alarm. That will tell you the switch needs to open circuit or closed. I’m that if disconnected that the alarm will think bonnet is shut, as normally these switches just short to earth.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for the really helpful suggestions. I'll have a go in the morning (assuming we haven't been slain in the night). :giggle:

Or gassed! :sleep:

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Just by way of an initial feedback, I haven't had a chance to try setting the alarm whilst holding down the bonnet switch. This is because where we are is full of motorhomes and I don't want to risk setting the alarm off and not being able to switch it off before being clubbed to death. Free aire just near Malaga but the atmosphere not too relaxed.
We move on again tomorrow so will try then.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I still haven't tried pappajohn's or Landy Andy's suggestions because we're still parked up on a rammed site at Denia and I fear that if I meddle I might set the damn thing off and be unable to disarm it or inadvertently set the immobiliser.
We are here for a while longer but I have a question for when I do try: if I hold the bonnet button down and the alarm sets ok, can I just either disconnect the bonnet switch or tape it in the down (off?) position and use the alarm as normal?
Sorry if I'm thick. It's so damned loud when it goes off I want to be sure I can stop it without inadvertently setting the immobiliser and being unable to start the engine when the time comes to leave. :think:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I still haven't tried pappajohn's or Landy Andy's suggestions because we're still parked up on a rammed site at Denia and I fear that if I meddle I might set the damn thing off and be unable to disarm it or inadvertently set the immobiliser.
We are here for a while longer but I have a question for when I do try: if I hold the bonnet button down and the alarm sets ok, can I just either disconnect the bonnet switch or tape it in the down (off?) position and use the alarm as normal?
Sorry if I'm thick. It's so damned loud when it goes off I want to be sure I can stop it without inadvertently setting the immobiliser and being unable to start the engine when the time comes to leave. :think:
If it does just pull the wire off it. It will be a Normally Open circuit which means that the alarm only see's a "signal" when the switch "pops" out, so with all wireless and N/O circuits the alarm doesn't check that they are OK on arming, unless a N/O circuit is "closed" (the circuit not the bonnet ;) )

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I had an issue on a previous mh and spoke with Gemini and they were helpful, I see you are not in UK at the moment so maybe not an option.
What worked for me was to disconnect the alarm from the OBD and leave for a few minutes then reconnect. This is situated by your right knee if a Fiat.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I had an issue on a previous mh and spoke with Gemini and they were helpful, I see you are not in UK at the moment so maybe not an option.
What worked for me was to disconnect the alarm from the OBD and leave for a few minutes then reconnect. This is situated by your right knee if a Fiat.
Not sure how you disconnect from the OBD. Or indeed what the OBD is. ☺️it’s a peugeot by the way, so similar I believe.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Not sure how you disconnect from the OBD. Or indeed what the OBD is. ☺it’s a peugeot by the way, so similar I believe.
It should look like this:- (The empty plug)
1581423165216.png

You have issues if you an alarm plugged into the port like this:-

1581423321105.png

There has been some argument recently regarding alarms plugged into the OBD Port

We checked earlier this week with the Motor Industry Repair Research Centre (M.I.R.R.C.) owned by the Association of British Insurers, known as "Thatcham"

An alarm will NOT be Thatcham approved if it is simply plugged into the OBD Port which is only there for a temporary connection for diagnostic purposes.

So beware if your alarm is a condition of insurance and connected this lazy way.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
No, alarm isn't connected to the OBD socket. Thanks for the info on the OBD socket.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
At the risk of being classed as a dinosaur why are you bothering with an alarm? Nobody pays the slightest bit of attention other than *somebodies alarm has gone off, inconsiderate gits we are trying to sleep and best not get involved* You are better off spending £1.99 on a set of stickers saying *VEHICLE ALARMED wifi direct to Police and tracker activated*. Get a dog, leave it in the van ( humanely ) or warning device that replicates a dogs bark no its not an alarm its a proximity warning device that can be wired up to your vehicles sensors/reversing camera and save yourself hundreds of pounds and a more responsive reaction from your neighbours ..............alarm............sod it must have set it wrong nothing to do with me...................,dog in distress...........something is up...lets go and find out!

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Can see your point AC/DC. Not sure my insurer will agree. As for the dog, not really practical for us. Now the dog-bark device worked on sensors etc. That may be a runner. Searching eBay.

Markas

Free Member
Jul 13, 2017
Bressuire, Deux-Sevres
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Off and on since 2015
At the risk of being classed as a dinosaur why are you bothering with an alarm? Nobody pays the slightest bit of attention other than *somebodies alarm has gone off, inconsiderate gits we are trying to sleep and best not get involved* You are better off spending £1.99 on a set of stickers saying *VEHICLE ALARMED wifi direct to Police and tracker activated*. Get a dog, leave it in the van ( humanely ) or warning device that replicates a dogs bark no its not an alarm its a proximity warning device that can be wired up to your vehicles sensors/reversing camera and save yourself hundreds of pounds and a more responsive reaction from your neighbours ..............alarm............sod it must have set it wrong nothing to do with me...................,dog in distress...........something is up...lets go and find out!
Love it!! You said you were on a ram-packed site, far better security than an alarm. Have a Thatcham 1 but insurance doesn't require it so don't often set it. Whenever I do, it goes off when I'm miles away for no reason (wind, dust, flappy seat belts, wombles etc.)
Alternatively obtain a dog, unconditional love and security too. Have woken up several times in the night recently thinking "did I lock the door...sod it, the dog'll soon kick off if there's a problem"

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
eddievanbitz-this is a slow job but a sunny day here in Spain so having a go at testing the bonnet switch for the alarm. The red spade terminal was certainly loose on the switch body and it also seemed a long way out of the bonnet.
Please can you confirm the sequence of putting it back? See the photo. I'm unsure that it had been assembled correctly. So,if you could say the sequence things go on the switch body after being put into the hole in the bonnet structure, I'd be grateful. See attached photo. I've lined up the parts except for putting the spring washer and nut on the switch to keep the spring from falling out.
Edit: the switche's hole is at 11'o Clock next to the big rubber grommet.
Thanks
IMG_0945.JPG

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
eddievanbitz-this is a slow job but a sunny day here in Spain so having a go at testing the bonnet switch for the alarm. The red spade terminal was certainly loose on the switch body and it also seemed a long way out of the bonnet.
Please can you confirm the sequence of putting it back? See the photo. I'm unsure that it had been assembled correctly. So,if you could say the sequence things go on the switch body after being put into the hole in the bonnet structure, I'd be grateful. See attached photo. I've lined up the parts except for putting the spring washer and nut on the switch to keep the spring from falling out.
Edit: the switche's hole is at 11'o Clock next to the big rubber grommet.
ThanksView attachment 363782
Sorry we wont use that type of bonnet switch for exactly this reason so can only guess

I would think that the switch is screwed in or out (up or down) using the two metal plates and then the spade terminal is plugged on the bottom

When the bonnet pops up, the plunger pops up/out and the wire on the red terminal touches the metal body and makes a circuit, so adjust it so that the switch is fully depressed when the bonnet is closed

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
By your reasoning the sticker won't be much use either if the thieves believe that no-one will pay an alarm any attention anyway.

But if no-one pays any attention to alarms, can you explain why four police officers turned up within a couple of minutes when my Growler went off in the middle of Dieppe a couple of years ago?

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry we wont use that type of bonnet switch for exactly this reason so can only guess

I would think that the switch is screwed in or out (up or down) using the two metal plates and then the spade terminal is plugged on the bottom

When the bonnet pops up, the plunger pops up/out and the wire on the red terminal touches the metal body and makes a circuit, so adjust it so that the switch is fully depressed when the bonnet is closed
Thanks Eddie. For my return (or when there is a good electric’s parts stpre on France next week, what is your preferred switch type please?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
If that switch operates by shorting to earth, which I think it does as there is only one wire to it. Then just leave it off and unplugged, and test alarm.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Thanks Eddie. For my return (or when there is a good electric’s parts stpre on France next week, what is your preferred switch type please?
Ours is an encapsulated mercury switch which is a two wire circuit so wouldn't be suitable sadly

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
If that switch operates by shorting to earth, which I think it does as there is only one wire to it. Then just leave it off and unplugged, and test alarm.
Landy Andy, I connected it up having (a) tightened the spade terminal to the switch and (b) enduring that the switch was now distanced enough to ensure the button was fully depressed when the bonnet is closed and hooray, it worked!
So now to try and and re synch the van key fob so we can lock the doors without setting the alarm.
Thanks for everyone’s help snd advice (again)!

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
By your reasoning the sticker won't be much use either if the thieves believe that no-one will pay an alarm any attention anyway.

But if no-one pays any attention to alarms, can you explain why four police officers turned up within a couple of minutes when my Growler went off in the middle of Dieppe a couple of years ago?
They probably thought it was an air raid siren! It's loud enough! ?

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Hi Dened easy answer its France! And no doubt ripping the a"re out of overtime keeping all the migrants away from the port and motorhomes. Where I come from a growler is either a meat pie or an angry dog!

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Just as an aside I was speaking to a BMW service manager/security *expert* on this matter and guess what his answer was? Fit one of the steering wheel devices as they are the most visible deterrent and all an alarm does is annoy people. You are limited as to where you can fit the system and the bad boys are very good at sussing out how to overide the systems. Apparently the latest Vauxhall immobiliser was cracked within a week of the vehicles launch!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back