Mar 18, 2016
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class Coachbuilt
Exp
25 Years
Hi All,
After some advice, thinking of setting up a Rally for the Funsters.
We are lucky to live where we live, with miles of beaches and Dartmoor on our doorstep.
As everyone knows the English Riviera is home to Devon's rich and famous and is a well known glamorous destination!

Trying to work out if:
A - There is a big appetite,
B - Would a Z list celebrity from Devon pull the masses?
C - If we did something like a Hog Roast, would everyone suddenly be vegan?
D - What time of year would be best
E - Do we need full blown facilities on a campsite or could we run of leisure batteries without mains?

As usual I am sure I will get warts and all from my fellow Funsters!!!

Simon

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
A) Just because it is you, we would attend, pending shifts etc.
B) Makes no difference to me
C) There is more chance of me getting a 50% discount off my next purchase from you than becoming Vegan
D) Warmth would help
E) No requirement from us for Electricity

Good thoughts and hope it goes ahead and we are available

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Our opinion....

A - Is there is a big appetite, ---- most Funster linked Rallyes seem to end up "full".
B - Would a Z list celebrity from Devon pull the masses? ---- entertainment is always welcome but don't be surprised if a good number do their own thing.
C - If we did something like a Hog Roast, would everyone suddenly be vegan? ---- Where food is being provided it's good to ask in advance for numbers to avoid wastage.
D - What time of year would be best ---- we don't care :) But use the calendar on the forum to avoid other popular activities, unless they are at the other end of the country of course. At colder toimes of year a function room or marquee makes all the difference.
E - Do we need full blown facilities on a campsite or could we run of leisure batteries without mains? ---- we never expect electrical hook up for a 2/3/4 day event and many people have solar etc... But the option of EHU is vital for a number of people - medical devices / electric bikes & scooters etc...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Find a site , work out a good date with them that does not clash with the many up and running rallies on the rally calendar, obtain price and post up to see the response.
Don't worry too much about EHU or what to put on (hog roast) - plenty of time to think about that once you decide it is going to happen.

Sep 7, 2018
Buntingford
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Platinum
Exp
Since 2019
Love Devon and Cornwall. Did two venues last year and throughly enjoyed both of them. Bring it on

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
A - There is a big appetite - Have you seen my waistline?
B - Would a Z list celebrity from Devon pull the masses? - Would eddievanbitz headline now he's got some free time?
C - If we did something like a Hog Roast, would everyone suddenly be vegan? - fat chance
D - What time of year would be best - I would have thought June or later summer / early Autumn would work best looking at when other rallys are organised, and there is less competition.
E - Do we need full blown facilities on a campsite or could we run of leisure batteries without mains? - I'm sure you can arrange mobile installation of battery banks, solar and such like with a kick back from Vanbitz :)

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
A- Excellent idea (even better if near bus routes)
B- There are already enough celebrities/ comedians Fun members but one more would not make much difference. :LOL:
C- Not needed but would be appreciated.
D- Warmish months (June) would lessen the need for E- but Autumn (out of school holidays) would be readily acceptable. :unsure:

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Noneā€¦ā€¦..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Great idea!
(Perhaps you could arrange for some extra ā€˜vans to be there too - you never know, you could make some salesā€¦..! ;) )

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Used to attend something similar up at Spinney, re-call they once did a sort of Barn dance with free BBQ.
Always very popular. Minibus used to ferry people to the showroom and back through the days.

Trying to work out if:
A - There is a big appetite, PICK A NUMBER FOR ATTENDANCE AND SURE YOU WILL FILL IT, MAYBE TICKET IN ADVANCE
B - Would a Z list celebrity from Devon pull the masses? WOULD NOT ENTICE ME JUST FOR THAT REASON.
C - If we did something like a Hog Roast, would everyone suddenly be vegan? (y) ANY FOOD IS A PLUS
D - What time of year would be best APRIL - SEPT, AVOIDING OTHER SHOWS AND FUN RALLIES. Early Sept always seems a quiet time, pre Lincoln.
E - Do we need full blown facilities on a campsite or could we run of leisure batteries without mains? EHU !!! WHATS THAT...

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Sounds like a plan šŸ‘
Pick a date and publish before booking it to see what interest you get.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
There seems to be appetite for as many rallies as exist

Any form of 'on field' entertainment is good.

Get food interest (and money) up front.
A quality pizza van may be easier with less wastage

When there are no other rallies

E - Do we need full blown facilities on a campsite or could we run of leisure batteries without mains?
if you are running any form of central entertainment, food, bar, band etc you will need main electricity (even if that is a trailer mounted generator)

EHU is always prefered

I'd start small, find a site for 20-30 vans but one that could take a lot more the next year
You wont make money year one, but you should be year three
Location, Location, Location.
You need the place to be walking/cycling/bus distance to local attractions
You need a pub or onsite bar.

You need water, elsan etc.
It is a lot harder to run a rally in a green field than it is to run it in a site geared up with facilities

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
There seems to be appetite for as many rallies as exist

Any form of 'on field' entertainment is good.

Get food interest (and money) up front.
A quality pizza van may be easier with less wastage

When there are no other rallies

if you are running any form of central entertainment, food, bar, band etc you will need main electricity (even if that is a trailer mounted generator)

EHU is always prefered

I'd start small, find a site for 20-30 vans but one that could take a lot more the next year
You wont make money year one, but you should be year three
Location, Location, Location.
You need the place to be walking/cycling/bus distance to local attractions
You need a pub or onsite bar.

You need water, elsan etc.
It is a lot harder to run a rally in a green field than it is to run it in a site geared up with facilities
Fun rallies aren't about making money unless it's for charity, actually you specifically should not make money out of running a fun rally.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Simon

Could the rest of your family join James by moving operations a bit further East?

We will be in France and could skip over to UK for VanBitz and even your hog roast but not flog from Dover to West Country.

How is James doing? get him to report on here please.

Geoff

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Why is it not on the Rally Calendar yet.
Book it. :giggle:
This is a really good point.

Choose the date as a follow on and/or from a Woodside Field Rally, allowing a day in between to pop in Taunton for a night to get an alarm fitted !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Great idea Simon, a bit of trek for us but as its you we would try and make it if we are around at the time.

Most rallies are over subscribed so I don't think would be a problem with numbers.

They will be Funsters who will put on a show or are you the Z list celebrity. :LOL:
It's the Funsters that make the rally.

Sounds good to me, plenty of grass for the vegans.:giggle:

Anytime proving you arrange wall to wall sunshine and 30Ā°.
As others have said try not to clash with other rallies.

Most rallies are just a field with a water tap and dump point. The simpler the better.

Jun 19, 2021
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Expedition 66
Exp
Nee
Iā€™d be there like a shot :smiley:. Had quite a few pre MH holidays in Torbay.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Fun rallies aren't about making money unless it's for charity, actually you specifically should not make money out of running a fun rally.
True, but I'm assuming that year one you would run at a loss
Year two you break even
Year three you make a 'profit' to counter year one loss
By year four you can pitch the price to ensure you have a float for year five

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The running of Rallies is not one of profit/loss.

No rally should run at a loss. We are not a business. We are a group of
individuals, some of whom organise events for the benefit of their fellow members.

It is a matter of pricing the pitch fee at a price that would allow the organisation
of same to pay the site owner and pay for other expenses without going into the Red.

We have been running Rallies for several years and the spectre of being in debt has
never been close.

Having said that, all profit coming at the end of a Rally is sent to a Charity. Without exception.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back