LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With micro switch the pump stops immediately you turn the tap off. With a pressure switch pump often runs on after turning off the tap. Also with micro switches there will be a pair of wires coming out of the tap.
Unusual to get an air lock in a micro switch system.
Often air in the system is cause by a a joint not sealing properly. You need to check all the connections on all the pipe connections difficult as some may be behind cupboards etc.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Maybe air is getting IN ?
Try some vaseline around the water filter cap.
It could be that the (plastic) bowl is cracked (if you didn't remove it over Winter and the water within froze), in which case you'll need a new bowl (filter cap).

OP
OP
Simon Meadwell
Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Hi the pump over runs so appears to be pressure switch system . Its an a class so most pipes hidden away . So how do you trace the pipes?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
So how do you trace the pipes?
Slowly, there is no easy way. If it happens on all the taps it's lightly to be at the start of the system. I would start by checking around the pump and check the strainer filter on the pump it just unscrews it may have a hairline crack often happens it water gets frozen in it.

OP
OP
Simon Meadwell
Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Hi Lenny
Photo of my pump looks dry is it the plastic bowl i need to check and should the system be drained before i unscrew it ?

Attachments

• 9A0FF3C1-7B75-4CBD-8612-60D08F97C100.jpeg
    9A0FF3C1-7B75-4CBD-8612-60D08F97C100.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 57

Campervan_man

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus
Exp
If you fit a 'one way valve' { non-return valve } close to your water tank it stops the water flowing back to the tank.
It gives your pump a big advantage. The direction flow arrow points away from the tank.
If you blow air down the valve the air only goes through one way { same as the water }.

<Broken link removed>

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
Are you sure the frost valve on the water heater hasn't triggered?

OP
OP
Simon Meadwell
Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Hi Eurajohn
Frost valve okay not triggered. One thing though when i did drain the boiler that sounded like it was full of air. Im home now so will remove the filter bowl. If not that it’s covered on my warranty so will book it in.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Maybe air is getting IN ?
Try some vaseline around the water filter cap.
It could be that the (plastic) bowl is cracked (if you didn't remove it over Winter and the water within froze), in which case you'll need a new bowl (filter cap).
If the filter wasn't removed over Winter and there has been a hard frost, it's quite possible that the bowl has cracked. Not easy to see but it might 'gurgle' less with tape wrapped around to prove the theory that air is getting in from there and the tape is restricting the amount getting in.
Otherwise, perhaps you have not been patient enough with the filling of the boiler? I don't believe in 'air-locks' in these systems. Either more air is getting in or you haven't yet forced it all out.

AdamH

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2017
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Mooveo P6
Exp
Since 2017
I had exactly the same issue so yesterday I took out the pump and cleaned the diaphragm. Put it back together and it works better than it ever has! The plastic bowl on the filter is now full and not dragging in air

OP
OP
Simon Meadwell
Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Latest update i have cleaned the filter bowl no cracks and tightened up the butterfly type pipe connectors. Put water in and turned on at board the pump now just stays on even before taps opened. Still got air in taps when i opened them . Closed taps and pump keeps running!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Latest update i have cleaned the filter bowl no cracks and tightened up the butterfly type pipe connectors. Put water in and turned on at board the pump now just stays on even before taps opened. Still got air in taps when i opened them . Closed taps and pump keeps running!
Have you opened the hot taps and waited for the boiler to fill it takes a couple of minutes.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think you may be being a little impatient.
The pump will come on and run for a few minutes until it has filled your boiler and got up to pressure.
Open a hot tap and (listen and) wait.
Check water flow at all taps, including cold, and close each one after a continuous flow has been established.
If the pump keeps pumping, you have a big leak somewhere (which should become visible) or it's sucking in air (most likely from the filter bowl).

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Been using the van sink toilet and shower since friday afternoon and still spluttering at the taps 30 minutes ago.
Then you have an air leak somewhere between pump and tank.
If it was after the pump it would force water OUT, before pump its sucking air IN.
Check the dump valve, it may not be seated correctly.
Open and close a couple of times to swill any grit off the seat.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Does the pump stop pumping at all?
Be aware that, if the culprit is the filter bowl, you may not see the crack!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Can you see any water in the filter bowl? Is the fresh water tank full? Any chance you can get a hosepipe into the tank side of the pump to prime it?

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If air is getting in, the filter bowl is the most common cause in my experience.

OP
OP
Simon Meadwell
Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
I have ordered one of each type will return the wrong one. Do i just change the glass bowl or the complete fitting ie the blacj plastic bit the glass bowl screws onto. Im trying to sort myself as cant see getting booked in anywhere soon .

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
If you are ordering and can return, it would make sense to get the range. I am unfamiliar with what you have and neither am I an 'expert' on filter bowls. Just change the bowl.
Be aware that my suggestion that you have a crack in the bowl is an assumption. But, from what I can understand from your description, I think that to be the most likely cause.
If you try a bit of Vaseline around the seal before replacing your current bowl and also smear the outside with some, that might reduce the amount of air getting in and confirm that that is the area of your problem. It may even stop the problem and let you get away.
Check for leaks (easier said than done) inside and out (below the dump valve). If the pump runs continuously, as I think you are saying (?) either water is going somewhere or (more likely) air is getting in.
Is there plenty of water in the tank? It may have dumped.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back