LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
An interesting thread and good to here the variety of views.

We are settling off next week and to date have only stayed at Gravelines, well....also on a car park at the Falkirk wheel with a bunch of fun loving people !

We are looking forwards to using aires , along with the occasional camp site for laundry etc, but as we get better at spotting chemical dump, water, laundry etc hope to reduce the need to visit campsites.

While money is always a consideration, the main driver in my mind is value. For example lat night we stayed over at a marina campsite at Gastang, cost £22 with electric.

The site wsa very clean indeed as was the toilet block, but there were no further facilities. The electric was not needed, nor were the toilet facilities we are after all a motorhome! An aire would have been far more suited to our needs
It'll all come down to where you're going or planning to go.
I do cringe at the thought of paying in the region of £20+ a night anywhere. We found most of the Aires around €6 - €10 euros (some free of course with ehu). One we particularly like is Pont a Mousson. €9.00 a night. EHU and water plus grey/black waste. Toilets, showers and laundry (charges apply) and think it's stay 6 nights get next free but we usually only stay 2/3 nights.

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
@EX51SSS , Do you have a list, or blog, of the 28 aires you visited?
I would love to persuade my wife to give them a try. However, any time I get near an aire she shudders.

Thanks

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I would love to persuade my wife to give them a try. However, any time I get near an aire she shudders.

Thanks
A couple for first timers that I would recommend, both only 2 or 3 hours from Calais are La Mailleraye sur Seine and Neufchattel en Braye.

The one at La Mailleraye is on the banks of the Seine and you park overlooking the river and about 10 ft from the bank. Lovely view and you get to watch some big boats going up and down the river. Mostly on grass and "Pitches" are marked by pegs and there is just enough room to put out an awning. Nice little town on the doorstep with shops and restaurants. Costs about 6 Euros a night. You can dump for free but the water is another 2 Euros.

Neufchattel is not such a nice view, but it has individual pitches surrounded by hedges. Each pitch has both grass and gravel hardstanding. Easy walk to a LeClerc, Aldi and Lidl supermarkets. Has free electricity and wifi as well as free water and waste dump, all for 12 Euros

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Alsoi take a long hard look at why you are thinking of staying in them? Cant you afford a site? How many 10s of K did you spend on your vehicle? Aires are normally glorified car parks.
What a stupid statement, why would what you paid for a van anything to do with how you pefer to camp. We love aires and they are our prefered choice, we dislike sites and will only stay on them as a last resort, they do not suit our style of traveling and don't get me started on their stupid rules of having to leave by 12pm.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007

Thanks
Actually I did them as we went along. When we first went we travelled over and went West towards Brittany and Normandy and then South. Over the last 5 years or so, we prefer the Eastern France. We usually travel down to Kent in the early hours on a Friday and look say at Herne Bay or Canterbury. There's a Park and Ride in Canterbury. £3.00 for 24 hours including bus into city centre. Travel later at night (you're just a little north from us) and go to Cite Europe (free), travelled later (when rested) to Cateau Cambresis (free Aire with EHU and water) close to Lidl (to get supplies), then to Stenay (on riverbank with toilets, showers, EHU, etc) think about €7.00 a night. There's also an area for boules and small town. Then onto Pont a Mousson (on the Moselle run by Captiniere) Toilets, showers, EHU, water, WiFi etc @€9.50 a night) lovely Aire. Next we went to the Alsace, Orschwihr (free but no facilities but wine tasting at lots of places). Onto Gérardmer (ski resort (no we don't ski, no snow in May)) €6.00 a night. Toilet at entrance, next to tourist information. Very lovely area not far from Lake Gérardmer. Next was Corravilliers. Free but no facilities, next to a babbling stream. Next was Montreux Chateau (on riverside and think charge was optional but think €5.00). St. Disdille Thonan Les Baines. (this was an ACSI site about €13.00 a night with all facilities and laundry) bus into Thanon Les Baines and onto Evian if one fancies.
Looked at All the Aires and fancied Lake Annecy (didn't look at map so through Switzerland (40 CHF for Vignette but views absolutely magnificent. Lots of tunnels but every time we emerged, a new vista. We stayed at Lake Annecy on ACSI site about €15.00 a night. Superb site and 'warden' was fantastic. Stayed 3 nights.
Next we went to Chamonix and moved to an Aire (not far from Chamonix and Mont Blanc was outside our door. Magnificent views. Free up to June 1St but then €10.00 a night but well worth it.
Stayed in Chamonix next night. Onto Switzerland (as we'd paid the vignette) and looked at a site from ACSI at Brig but it looked awful so we went on the Simplon Pass. There's an Aire right at the top ( the temperature was 28 C and I was throwing snowballs. Dropped down into Italy and stayed 3 days at Lake Maggiore. ACSI site (think about €17.00 a night. Full facilities and a great eating place on site) back to Switzerland and stayed on Simplon Pass again (free, toilets available free and water). To Lake Nantua and Aire about €5.00 a night. Right on lakeside and there was a zip wire competition. Onto Villarest on The Loire. Beautiful. 2 nights, can't remember cost but cheap. Next, Neris Les Baines (again can't remember cost but nice town. Onto Clermont-Ferrand (headquarters of Michelin), Aire was a Park and Ride and tram into city centre. Next day to the extinct volcano called Puy de Dome. Panoramic train to top. Free Aire, no facilities though but very scenic. Then to Paray Le Monial, then to Villegusine Le Lac (ACSI site. Owned by a Hollywood film director now retired) . Back to Gérardmer as it was such a lovely place. Back to Pont a Mousson (probably our favourite place), Les Islets, on top of a hill at €5.00 a night).
Starting to head north heading for Le Crotoy but diverted to an Aire at Roye (tried noyon (or something like that and a disused campsite) , then onto Le Crotoy. Steam train to St Valery sur Somme (that's another story but all ended well). Onto Arques (for vet). Up to Guines (ACSI site about €19.00) then to a Aire (completely forgotten name then next day onto Cite Europe) then train back to the UK. Stayed at Herbies ( might soon be in Brit Stops), onto West Stockwith (Brit Stops, free or £5.00 with EHU). Absolutely superb pub with tea room. Then we went round the corner for the Funsters meet at Misterton. Missed a couple out but that's a quick (well lengthy) rundown.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Aires are normally glorified car parks.
Completely wrong!!!! Yes there are quite a few like that but better that than muddy fields or grass sites that are suited to tuggers. The price of the Moho has absolutely no reflection on the type of sites we use and mainly we use Aires. Why pay £25.00+ for a piece of grass?
IMHO, you need to visit more Aires to make such a profound statement. There are Mohos ranging from a few thousand to a few hundred thousand using them!!!!
We use them out of preference, not need.

Last edited:

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
An interesting thread and good to here the variety of views.

We are settling off next week and to date have only stayed at Gravelines, well....also on a car park at the Falkirk wheel with a bunch of fun loving people !

We are looking forwards to using aires , along with the occasional camp site for laundry etc, but as we get better at spotting chemical dump, water, laundry etc hope to reduce the need to visit campsites.

While money is always a consideration, the main driver in my mind is value. For example lat night we stayed over at a marina campsite at Gastang, cost £22 with electric.

The site wsa very clean indeed as was the toilet block, but there were no further facilities. The electric was not needed, nor were the toilet facilities we are after all a motorhome! An aire would have been far more suited to our needs
You could have stopped on my drive then Alistair :LOL:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
How do you get on playing boule, not being a native,do you feel self conscious or do they make you welcome?
It's empty most of the time but when used it's either a practice or a competition but when empty, you can use it. I've done it a few times and just do my own thing. Also most boule places don't mind at all as they are a town facility.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
You could have stopped on my drive then Alistair :LOL:
Thanks... hopefully there won't be a next time as we were at E & P for a repair !

It looks like a lovely town,we walked from the marina down the canal,around thetown and had a meal in the Th' Owd ..... something

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
An aire we go back to most years is a glorified car park, hot and dusty! But it's Gruissan Plage, within 50ft or so of the beach, plenty of space for awnings, tables, chairs etc., local shops, but above all it's French. Fantastic atmospheric and everybody as friendly as can be. All for 9 euros a night including water.

The most important thing to remember though is that France is a big country and there are areas where Aires are thin on the ground.

Malcolm

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@Delboyarapaho

You are right of course.

Here are two glorified car parks we have stayed on

IMG_0239.JPG

Bruyères-et- Montbérault. Only four spaces, no facilities but set within flower beds against walls of old village. Restaurant at end of street shown, small supermarket, bank and boulangerie in village. No charge for Aire.

IMG_0820.JPG

View from our window on Aire at Mendes. This one really is a car park but, if you are lucky enough to choose your spot, the view can be be great. Many places on the Aire overlook the river. There is a pleasant river walk and the town has many good restaurants and bars.

But, they still are car parks!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
@DavidG58
Would I do such a thing!:eek:

No, we were in the very last place on the right as you enter the car park.

It looks as if you had parked parallel to the river.

The view was taken from our parking place. No room for anyone else between us and the river.

Mendes is one of those Aires that are great for an evening or overnight but it is purely a car park. Great position though.(y)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi @MichaelT ,
just out of interest which aires did you use & where did you go , also for how long.
I'm looking for inspiration for September. PM me .
Terry

Cervantes

Free Member
Jan 13, 2011
Pilar de la Horadada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo time it590
Exp
Since February 2013 (but planning for 10 years!)
Hi,
I've just read this thread and wonder if anyone who is at all nervous about using aires will find the following helpful.
I've put together some videos to show the aires and how to get to them.
Hope they will convince you that aires are a great way to see the villages and countryside, often at no cost.

Last edited:

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Hi,
I've just read this thread and wonder if anyone who is at all nervous about using aires will find the following helpful.
I've put together some videos to show the aires and how to get to them.
Hope they will convince you that aires are a great way to see the villages and countryside, often at no cost.

Very good, keith chesterfield also has some good videos as does @Clarky

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
The aire Les Islettes used to have a free veg patch which you could help yourself from. Was mainly tomatoes & herbs but what a nice touch.

The aire at Montherme is another riverside aire, €3.40 per night. If you have washing to do the captainaire does it for you, washed, dried & folded and brought back to your van for the princely sum of €5! Great service. But it's a long walk uphill to the bakery if the one by the river is shut - as it was when we stayed there.

Joe

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have the same discussions and I have to say we found using our first aire with another couple a big relief. It seems to me that there are times when an aire is essential or highly desireable just to get that view or location and the local campsite is full. BUT if you have air con think about how steamy it gets with no hook up! Alsoi take a long hard look at why you are thinking of staying in them? Cant you afford a site? How many 10s of K did you spend on your vehicle? Aires are normally glorified car parks. I know there are some really good ones and for an overnight they work but not for us on a regular basis unless we have no option.
Well, everyone is different, personally, I don't understand why after spending thousands on a self contained vehicle, people would want to stay on a campsite. For me, campsites are for caravans and tents and a last resort when the nearby aire is full
Years ago, when we started touring in France ( in a VW camper) aires didn't exist so we stayed on municipal sites. One night maximum.
Over the last 4 years, we have stayed on 3 campsites. 2 in the UK for a week each because we were visiting family and the van was too big to park anywhere else ( 32 ft Winnebago ) and once in France at Dunkirk because the 2 local aires were full and it was getting late.
There are thousands of aires in France, the vast majority of which are excellent and in fantastic locations, but if you prefer to spend your days between caravans and tents, campsites are ideal

Mar 16, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu T460
Exp
Feb 2017
Taking our first trip in our (new to us) Motorhome (the Van) this Sunday morning, from Calais to Paris for a few day's and then onwards.
I had asked a question about "Continental" / "French" post codes in another thread and was given some great feedback (I must thank them), in particular the word "Mapcode" was mentioned, i did not know this facility, never heard of it. IF it works on my satnav then it is nothing short of brilliant.
I have downloaded the FREE app to my phone and cant wait to try it out.
My question for this thread is..........
What is an "AIRES" ? i see the word in lots of conversation's but do not understand what it is ?
Can someone explain to me what they are, how you use them and do they cost anything ?

Feb 26, 2013
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autocruise stargazer
Exp
since 2013
An Aire is an area specifically for motorhomes to park and stay overnight. Many towns or villages have them to encourage visitors. Some are free, some have a small charge. They can be great places to stop but don't get them mixed up with the ones on the motorways as I believe these can be a target for thieves. Enjoy your trip.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just to clarify - you're looking for Aire de Camping-Car. There are other "aires" (translation is area) - aire de repos (rest) and aires de service which are service areas, usually on motorways and should never be used to overnight for security reasons. Usually easy to spot, look for the motorhome symbol, quite often seen first as you approach a village.

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Embrey is a brilliant small site, we have used it 4 times on our way home, lovely croissants and jam can be ordered for breakfast, nice walk down to the small village, dog loves it too. A bit out of the way but that's the type we like.

Jun 10, 2013
Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Festivals
Do you have habitation air con, I didn't know that such a thing existed?

We have the same discussions and I have to say we found using our first aire with another couple a big relief. It seems to me that there are times when an aire is essential or highly desireable just to get that view or location and the local campsite is full. BUT if you have air con think about how steamy it gets with no hook up! .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back