AirCon advice please, exhausting hot air (1 Viewer)

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
Hi all, happy New Year!

I have been looking at various air con solutions including 'cool my van', under bunk and roof ac units. For various reasons I am leaning towards a portable air conditioning unit(cost being one!). I would want to exhaust the warm air to the outside permanently rather than through a window. The ideal place inside means coming out in the gas bottle storage locker. Does anyone see a problem with warm air being directed at the gas bottles in the summer?

Thanks

Gerry

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If you can, try and have an inlet duct onto the condenser too, otherwise the warm air being blown out of the van is replaced by warm ambient air. Portables aren't very efficient.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
Thanks, they can be efficient if they are sealed properly, hence wanting to have a permanent exhaust. For me a portable could well be more efficient as I can use it in my home also!

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
It's not aircon but an extractor fan in one of the top vents can help rid hot air (it gathers up there) and draw cooler air in from below.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I had a portable unit at home and got rid of it, very noisy. I had a roof mounted unit on my last van and that was also too noisy, although not as loud as the portable. We have a roof fan now, much better.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
Thanks, but I am fine with portable air-con. Really don't like the heat in an enclosed space and a fan just moves warm air around.

Cheers

Gerry

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
If you can, try and have an inlet duct onto the condenser too, otherwise the warm air being blown out of the van is replaced by warm ambient air. Portables aren't very efficient.
Would`nt it just pull in air from inside the van (gradually cooled) , then blow the warmed air out through the exhaust ? (if he can find a route)

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
although the 'cool my camper' type are usually hung out of the window, i see no reason why you cant fix it permanently inside the van inside a cupboard/external locker that can be opened to the outside when parked up. of course you lose a cupboard/locker or you make you own ?
a lot of thinking and head scratching but i am sure it could be done - after all many outside lockers are also accessible form inside a motorhome ...

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Thanks, but I am fine with portable air-con. Really don't like the heat in an enclosed space and a fan just moves warm air around.

Cheers

Gerry
A roof extractor fan, not just a fan. Try sitting in a confined space with a portable first

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Would`nt it just pull in air from inside the van (gradually cooled) , then blow the warmed air out through the exhaust ? (if he can find a route)
Yes, the air that it pulls from inside the van and expels is replaced by outside air that probably comes in through the gas drop outs under the oven etc. If the van is airtight it can't expel any.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year

Not sure what you mean, it already has an exhaust for the warm air, I want it to draw its air from inside the van rather than outside.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
During the day I had our roof fan in a side window as it brings hot air in off the roof during the day (it's excellent at night though) then misted myself with water 😎👌 it's the next best thing to AC
Screenshot_20210107-215041_Gallery.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Not sure what you mean, it already has an exhaust for the warm air, I want it to draw its air from inside the van rather than outside.
Imagine you're stood outside looking at the van, there's a duct poking out of the window blowing air out, that air is coming from inside the van, if air can't get back inside the van somehow to replace the air that's being blown out, the atmosphere inside the van will be slightly lower than atmospheric pressure, fortunately the fan in the AC would only Be strong enough to push a bit of air out until it stops, otherwise you'd die a hideous death in a vacuum like you would in space 🤣

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
Imagine you're stood outside looking at the van, there's a duct poking out of the window blowing air out, that air is coming from inside the van, if air can't get back inside the van somehow to replace the air that's being blown out, the atmosphere inside the van will be slightly lower than atmospheric pressure, fortunately the fan in the AC would only Be strong enough to push a bit of air out until it stops, otherwise you'd die a hideous death in a vacuum like you would in space 🤣

I can't imagine any motorhome would be air/watertight LOL

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I can't imagine any motorhome would be air/watertight LOL
No it's probably not, that's why the portables are inefficient, they drag warm ambient air in 👍

A proper split system just circulates the cool air inside and the outdoor unit uses outside air and they are totally separate apart from 2 copper pipes.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
These will be good, they are variable speed same as the modern house AC systems, very quiet with no high inrush current on start up 😎👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
These will be good, they are variable speed same as the modern house AC systems, very quiet with no high inrush current on start up 😎👍

Looks good, unfortunately I don't have the space on my roof.

Thanks

Gerry

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

gerrym11

Free Member
Sep 18, 2020
Colchester, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Just a year
No it's probably not, that's why the portables are inefficient, they drag warm ambient air in 👍

A proper split system just circulates the cool air inside and the outdoor unit uses outside air and they are totally separate apart from 2 copper pipes.

Hmm, so actually the portable has an advantage then as well as a disadvantage. I like the idea that the portable a/c would bring in fresh air even if it has to cool it.
I think every use case is different. With me I don't have enough roof space for a split system or I would get one. I don't have enough room for an under bench system or I would get one. My choice really is portable or 'cool my camper'. As I am going to be on EHU nearly all the time, I think portable will be my best bet. I just need to find some way of venting the warm air out without using the windows.

Cheers

Gerry

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Hmm, so actually the portable has an advantage then as well as a disadvantage. I like the idea that the portable a/c would bring in fresh air even if it has to cool it.
I think every use case is different. With me I don't have enough roof space for a split system or I would get one. I don't have enough room for an under bench system or I would get one. My choice really is portable or 'cool my camper'. As I am going to be on EHU nearly all the time, I think portable will be my best bet. I just need to find some way of venting the warm air out without using the windows.

Cheers

Gerry
What about putting a false locker door in the side? Just open it when you park up.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back