Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2013
hi guys
i am new to this please help me if you can
i have a peugeot boxer 2002 motorhiome
i am trying to get a replacement airbag clock spring .have tried all manufacturers i can think of ..all say this part is no longer available .have tried endless car breakers with no luck .
took van to peugeot and they could not do anything either as they do not have the tech for such an old vehicle
mot is due in dec ,so getting desperate now
does anyone know where i can try next
you help is greatly appreciated

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You could try contacting someone who repairs clocks and see if they will make one for you - assuming you have the bits of the old spring. :)

For example, I used these people for some work and they were very good.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
any chance the Ducato one is the same, as they often are on these vans.

<Broken link removed>

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

chris.d

Free Member
Nov 4, 2020
west wales
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2013
hi thanks for the info but, no i have scoured ebay for a couple months now no luck there either ,..trouble is mine is pre 2002 ,after that date they changed

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
sounds like you have covered all bases.

i guess the original is shot.... any way it can get refurbed by some electronics wizz kid

OP
OP
C

chris.d

Free Member
Nov 4, 2020
west wales
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2013
no i have tried to repair it myself with parts from another one but no luck.
peugeot mechanic suggested i try these forums in case there is a dealer somewhere that has brought up all discontinued parts that fit older vans,m knowing there is still a demand by motorhome owners

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
If it is just the airbag circuit that is affected, you could insert a resistor to isolate the squib and extinguish the fault lamp.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

Not being funny but try “the repair shop” the one that’s on the telly. Not sure how to contact them. It would be a hoot to see them repair it. Bet that Steve guy could mend it.🤞🤞🤞

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
And Welcome to Fun by the way! :)

OP
OP
C

chris.d

Free Member
Nov 4, 2020
west wales
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2013
If it is just the airbag circuit that is affected, you could insert a resistor to isolate the squib and extinguish the fault lamp.
thanks for reply i have tried using an airbag resister but light still stayed on as it was eliminating airbag but not slip ring

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Have you tried ebay.fr (French ebay) ? I've had success buying some bits from ebay.de in Germany that were available in the UK, but cheaper from Germany.
We have a French resident yodeli that might be able to help you with the lingo ?

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
A friend of mine (cough cough) once wired the airbag light on an old Freelander dashboard circuit directly to a timer relay so it came on with the ignition and then went out after a few seconds. I, I mean they passed, the MOT a couple of times like that.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You could try contacting someone who repairs clocks and see if they will make one for you - assuming you have the bits of the old spring. :)

For example, I used these people for some work and they were very good.

It isn't actually a spring of any sort. It's a section of flat, flexible 'cable' coiled into the shape of a clock spring and used to carry signals to and from the rotating steering wheel controls (and the airbag) to a stationary column connector. It winds / unwinds as the steering wheel is rotated and does the same job for multiple connections as the simple slip-ring horn connector used to do for one connection in the past.

• Thanks
Reactions: DBK

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It isn't actually a spring of any sort. It's a section of flat, flexible 'cable' coiled into the shape of a clock spring and used to carry signals to and from the rotating steering wheel controls (and the airbag) to a stationary column connector. It winds / unwinds as the steering wheel is rotated and does the same job for multiple connections as the simple slip-ring horn connector used to do for one connection in the past.

Sounds like you could make one from some flat cable. The connections at the end could be more difficult if they're not standard. Do you have a broken one you can canabalise?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
A friend of mine (cough cough) once wired the airbag light on an old Freelander dashboard circuit directly to a timer relay so it came on with the ignition and then went out after a few seconds. I, I mean they passed, the MOT a couple of times like that.
Yes I've done that for some things as well.:giggler:

• Nice One!
Reactions: DBK

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
thanks for reply i have tried using an airbag resister but light still stayed on as it was eliminating airbag but not slip ring
The slip ring just passes the circuits between the airbag controller and the airbag through the steering wheel. Without seeing a wiring diagram I'm not sure about the config of your van, but later vans have two circuits connected to the driver's airbag (stages 1 and 2). If you terminate both circuits with appropriate resistors prior to the airbag clock spring the controller will see the correct resistance in both circuits and the clock spring and airbag will both be eliminated from the system.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I wonder how insurers would fair with that in an insurance claim........write-off due to unavailability of parts?
They do that all the time. As it mostly applies to older vehicles the value is quite low and they'd probably be written off due to repair costs anyway.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
We have a French resident @yodeli that might be able to help you with the lingo ?

Would help with pleasure , but I need to know what is "an airbag clock spring "

Funnily I know what an airbag is... prevents you from going straight into the windscreen if you have a car crash, I know what a clock is... usually it gives the time, and I know what a spring is too, small ones to make your pencil go click on click off , also springs on a car to make the road holes smoother, but honestly the 3 together sound really weird to me.
I suppose one of the words has another meaning???

OP
OP
C

chris.d

Free Member
Nov 4, 2020
west wales
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2013
The slip ring just passes the circuits between the airbag controller and the airbag through the steering wheel. Without seeing a wiring diagram I'm not sure about the config of your van, but later vans have two circuits connected to the driver's airbag (stages 1 and 2). If you terminate both circuits with appropriate resistors prior to the airbag clock spring the controller will see the correct resistance in both circuits and the clock spring and airbag will both be eliminated from the system.
hi there is only one 2 pin connection from squib to airbag i might try this route with a resister ,just need to work out correct resistence and how to connect it.my electrical knowledge is not great

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Would help with pleasure , but I need to know what is "an airbag clock spring "

Funnily I know what an airbag is... prevents you from going straight into the windscreen if you have a car crash, I know what a clock is... usually it gives the time, and I know what a spring is too, small ones to make your pencil go click on click off , also springs on a car to make the road holes smoother, but honestly the 3 together sound really weird to me.
I suppose one of the words has another meaning???
It's an electric circuit connector that spirals around the steering column in, or just below the steering wheel, to pass current to and from switches, and in this case the airbag fitted within the centre of the steering wheel, and cater for the range of movement through which the wheel can be turned in either direction. Driver's airbag and horn button connections often pass through it, plus any other steering wheel mounted controls that might be fitted.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Deneb

Right. Got the explanation alright. I now need to find the equivalent words for that in French. I might call my mechanic in the morning (hoping he won't be closed because of lockdown). He will know for sure.
Thank you very much for this very clear explanation

Amicalement
Frankie :Smile:

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
hi there is only one 2 pin connection from squib to airbag i might try this route with a resister ,just need to work out correct resistence and how to connect it.my electrical knowledge is not great
I'm on my phone at the moment so can't paste links, but you can buy switchable resistance testers on eBay. You connect the two pins or wires from the airbag controller to the two leads or sockets on the tester, and switch through the different resistances until you find the resistance (range) that stops the airbag light illuminating. Then obtain an airbag circuit resistor with the required resistance and connect the two wires in the vehicle circuit to either side of the resistor. The better resistors are fused so that they will break the circuit in the event of an airbag activation current being generated by the controller.

Look through the ads on eBay, some include links to a video showing what I have explained.

You could probably just obtain a 2.2 ohm resistor and try that as a start. It's a fairly common resistance and most circuits have fairly wide thresholds, but if you want to do it properly use a tester to establish the acceptable range of resistance that keeps the light of and choose a resistor as near as possible to the mid point.

When working on the airbag circuit, disconnect the battery and wait about 20 minutes before connecting or disconnecting any cables or plugs. You obviously have to connect the battery in between to test the circuit, so it can be slow going, but be careful and methodical and you will get there. The resistor has to terminate the circuit on the vehicle body side of the clock spring. If you try and fit it at the airbag connector in the steering wheel the broken clockspring will still be in circuit and the controller will still see the fault.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back