Airbag ECU failed again, advice appreciated (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 29, 2020
Ferndown, BH22 9sg, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Pepper
Exp
Since 2019
Hi all, I have read most of the information on the threads but still need advice.
Do we have it repaired (reset ) again £84 at last reset?
Do we invest in a new one £300 +(are they any better have the manufacturers sorted this problem of low voltage at crank)?
Do we invest in a reset interrogation piece of equipment £??? and do they actually reset the ECU?
When I received the ECU back from the repairer it mentioned the low voltage concern, our motorhome was then almost 4 years old so we decided to change the battery, We procured a Yuasa expensive battery, the best we could buy a YBX 5000. I checked all the terminals and rechecked all the circuit connectors and used Servisol cleaner on all connections.
We last used the motorhome 3 weeks ago on a trip to Cambridge so would not expect a low voltage on crank over.
But yes the light came on at the start of a journey locally to the New Forest.
I have checked the battery and the connections and tried various supposed reset procedures as on You Tube.
Before my retirement I was a industrial engineer and understand electronic applications PLCs etc so and find this problem unacceptable and still un resolved by the manufacturer.
If have monitored the battery since new and the lowest voltage ever was 12.5 volts
We have contacted the repairer by Email, no reply and then phone and there is no support from them only that the crank voltage is to low and it is not there problem, so we must have it reset again. Again Again. If the new unit resolves the problem then we will go down this route or if a reset piece of equipment is cheaper and works then this maybe the route to go
Any factual advice please.
Derek & Derith

20221002_171600.jpg

Feb 18, 2014
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Medium
Exp
Since 2015
Just to highlight another similar chat active at the moment....

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It seems curious to me that I've never heard of the problem occurring on cars or vans fitted with air bags.

(But I have to admit that I do enjoy the schadenfreude from having a faultless 27 yr old grey porridge Compass which is devoid of any complex electronics ;)).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Your frustration is felt by many of us.
Sadly there appears no guaranteed fix from a reset ecu or a new one.
Some dealers do offer a guarantee on fitting a new ecu of up to 2 years.
Personally if it’s been reset once and failed in a short time I would look at replacing it.
But , it’s still a gamble 😳

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Getting the airbag ECU module repaired worked for us. 2 years later touch wood it hasn't gone inop a second time.

If I haven't driven the van for 7 days or longer I always use EHU to make sure the starter battery is fully charged. I wouldn't risk anything longer due to parasitic drains on the battery, even if it still shows a nominal 12.7v before cranking.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
It seems curious to me that I've never heard of the problem occurring on cars or vans fitted with air bags.

(But I have to admit that I do enjoy the schadenfreude from having a faultless 27 yr old grey porridge Compass which is devoid of any complex electronics ;)).
I asume that the system (and its weakness) is designed for vans that do not stand unused for prolonged periods. Mine went during covid when it stood for over 6 months and i assumed that the voltage was OK, not realising that the system fails at 12.5 volts.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
12.5v is around 80% state of charge.
That low level of discharge should not have the effect it appears to have on these airbag ecu.
It is simply poor design and a manufacturer that cares. Less about the quality of performance of its components.
A funster has indicated that the failures are mostly human error and a sensitive product.
IMHO there are cases when human error has been the problem but it is likely less than a few % of the cases.
You don’t read of this problem to the same extent on Renault or Mercedes converted motorhomes.

Upvote 0
May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
DesandDek
Mine failed during a 2020 covid layup and the battery was 6 years old so not the same situation.

Like you, we replaced the battery and had the ecu reset which in our case seemed to fix the problem.

I did buy a relatively expensive OBD2 reader with reset facility. It read the fault and told us that it could not be reset. (Sent it to Crashdata who then fixed it) and sold the OBD2 reader on ebay.

I did read that seatbelt connections could trigger this or similar fault so maybe this could be something to look into. There are quite a few threads which cover this issue.

I personally don't think that buying a new ecu will be much different from having yours reset but I have no evidence to back this up. It's a software problem and Crashdata just replace the faulty software with new.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
After mine failed some time ago I was told that when starting the engine it pays to turn the ignition on and wait a few seconds for most of the dash lights to go out before cranking the engine. This is what I do now and I haven't had a second failure so far, but that could just be coincidence. Fingers crossed.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
After mine failed some time ago I was told that when starting the engine it pays to turn the ignition on and wait a few seconds for most of the dash lights to go out before cranking the engine. This is what I do now and I haven't had a second failure so far, but that could just be coincidence. Fingers crossed.
That is good practice and lets the ecu activate fully before any change in voltage.
Not fool proof but it certainly reduces the risk

Upvote 0

Stealaway

Free Member
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
That's a proceedure I've adopted with my three years old van from new.
But
My one failed on a touring holiday in France last month with the battery at peak performance.
Bugger.

6 days later the fault light went out again.
I've given up trying to understand why
It seems to make no sense.

Upvote 0

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020

May be stating the obvious, starting procedure is in the vehicle manual. 👍

However, the failures don’t seem to have any real pattern……other than what Crash Data claim.🤷‍♂️

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Some engine management faults where the EML light comes on will clear if the same fault does not re occur after 6 starts, a heavier or extra earth strap is always a good idea. Fitting a battery master using the hab batteries to top up the engine battery may help.

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
May be stating the obvious, starting procedure is in the vehicle manual. 👍

However, the failures don’t seem to have any real pattern……other than what Crash Data claim.🤷‍♂️
I prefer the much less confrontational way of giving info. Some people don't spend much time reading manuals.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back