Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Our Ducato PVC sit's low at the back even though it's weight is 300kg less than max which is 3500kg . It came from the converter this way as it appears too much "stuff" was placed towards the rear. Nothing actually wrong, but springs were down on bump stops, so not the most comforatble. Also didn't look level and my internal spirt level couldn't cope :)

Had VB Air Suspension fitted today by Rosmia in Bolney, Sussex. They did a great job in half a day and now the camper sit's perfectly. So a big thumbs up for Rosmia.(y)

By the way I know I could of fitted them myself, but it's cold outside :)

Mick

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My van is the opposite,,rear end sits 4 to 6 inches higher than the front,,Usually have to use levelling blocks to even it up on site. Its a bloody nuisance..BUSBY.

Aug 11, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
€6 Peugeot Boxer van conv
Exp
50 years inc camping and caravanning (and I'm not much older than that)
This is something that I'm interested in, and might fit - when it's warmer. From what you wrote, it appears to have been worthwhile.
Questions, questions!

Did you have a compressor fitted or schrader inflation points?
If it's schrader inflation points, where are they located? (they're often fitted in the drivers side cab step)
Can you adjust both sides independently, if so, can you adjust the side-to-side level of your rear end?
What's the ride like, any softer? I believe that it's dependent on the pressure, and that ~1 bar is normally good.
Have you got any idea what they weigh? (or reduce your payload by?)

Ducatos (and all x290's) are designed to run on the bump-stops (in fact they are spring assisters), in case anybody else is reading this (but they do make the ride bumpy).

OP
OP
tuscancouple

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
So to answer your questions:

Did you have a compressor fitted or schrader inflation points?

Schrader inflation points, although semi auto or full auto compressor fill is an option.

Can you adjust both sides independently, if so, can you adjust the side-to-side level of your rear end?

Yes although pressure difference must not be >0.5 bar

What's the ride like, any softer? I believe that it's dependent on the pressure, and that ~1 bar is normally good.

Ride feels smoother, less harsh bumps. The amount of pressure is dependant on weight of the PVC and required ride height, more weight or ride height = more pressure.

Have you got any idea what they weigh? (or reduce your payload by?)

About the same as the bump stops they replace. They have no effect on the PVC payload at all.

You're correct with the bump stop use, however it does make for a very firm ride and I guess converters don't use a heavy duty springs (extra leaf) as it would reduce payload.

Hope that all helps.

Mick

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
tuscancouple

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Missed one :)

If it's schrader inflation points, where are they located

Had them located behind rear wheels on the lower still. They can be put anywhere you wish, within reason though I didn't want them in the PVC.

Mick

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Springs down on bump stops ?

Have you checked the rear axle weight as you can exceed a axle weight without exceeding a gvw.

Steve494

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E530
Exp
Since 2008
Anyone reading this thread with a coach built MH, another added bonus of air suspension is that you DRASTICALLY reduce ‘roll’ when going around roundabouts and bends and another surprise to me was the reduction of ‘roll’ when being overtaken by lorries. (Not that lorries overtake me very often!)

Steve494

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E530
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Rob,
That’s the reason I had it done in the first place.
We wanted to carry a scooter on the back. We had to change the rear tyres too.
The unexpected advantages from air suspension was a nice bonus.

Also, on the Scottish small ferries, we were able to raise the back end a good few inches to stop the MH from ‘bottoming’ out.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Hi Rob,
That’s the reason I had it done in the first place.
We wanted to carry a scooter on the back. We had to change the rear tyres too.
The unexpected advantages from air suspension was a nice bonus.

Also, on the Scottish small ferries, we were able to raise the back end a good few inches to stop the MH from ‘bottoming’ out.
That’s great thanks, where was yours done and how much could you raise the back end by, you say a few inches?
What van/chassis have you got?

Thanks
Rob

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
That’s great thanks, where was yours done and how much could you raise the back end by, you say a few inches?
What van/chassis have you got?

Thanks
Rob
It’s a bit more expensive on an Alko and most suppliers will not sell them for diy.(y)(y)(y)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Our Ducato PVC sit's low at the back even though it's weight is 300kg less than max which is 3500kg . It came from the converter this way as it appears too much "stuff" was placed towards the rear. Nothing actually wrong, but springs were down on bump stops, so not the most comforatble. Also didn't look level and my internal spirt level couldn't cope :)

Had VB Air Suspension fitted today by Rosmia in Bolney, Sussex. They did a great job in half a day and now the camper sit's perfectly. So a big thumbs up for Rosmia.(y)

Mick

cost???

May 3, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago Chic I47
Exp
34 years

Mick

A S AirSuspension Nr Warrington

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Was looking at AS in Warrington as it’s only an hour away.
I know it’ll be expensive, probably a couple of grand but it’s nothing in the big scheme of things :frowny:

Steve494

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E530
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Rob,
I’m going senile in my old age so I’m not 100% sure on some of the details.

Our MH is a Bessacarr E530 on a Fiat Ducato.
It’s a 2007, not sure on the running gear but I’m sure you could google it.
I bought the diy kit and got my local garage who services the MH to fit it.
I think the kit was a Dunlop kit and I think it was about £400?
The garage had never done one before so it took them longer to fit than a ‘regular’ fitter but I’m sure the fitting was only about the same as the diy kit. One lesson they did share with me was to leave small amounts of slack in the air pipes as the chassis obviously ‘moves’ when driving and the pipes can kink easily.

We uprated our MH from 3500 to 3850 if I remember correctly which was perfect for the scooter weight.
The two obvious disadvantages of uprating your MH weight are that you will have to take a further test when you hit 70 and the disadvantage that I hadn’t planned on was that there are a lot of roads particularly in France that have a 3.5t limit on. So technically you can’t use these roads, however police seem to turn a blind eye to MH’s in France.

Interestingly (if you’re still awake) when I was doing the paperwork for the weight uprate I may have forgotten to send the original V5 back to DVLA, and I may have forgotten to take it out of the MH. Which means I now run with two V5’s, one showing the MH as 3.5t and one which shows it as 3.85t. So if I get pulled for being down a restricted 3.5t road, I may forgetfully produce the wrong V5!

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Hi Rob,
I’m going senile in my old age so I’m not 100% sure on some of the details.

Our MH is a Bessacarr E530 on a Fiat Ducato.
It’s a 2007, not sure on the running gear but I’m sure you could google it.
I bought the diy kit and got my local garage who services the MH to fit it.
I think the kit was a Dunlop kit and I think it was about £400?
The garage had never done one before so it took them longer to fit than a ‘regular’ fitter but I’m sure the fitting was only about the same as the diy kit. One lesson they did share with me was to leave small amounts of slack in the air pipes as the chassis obviously ‘moves’ when driving and the pipes can kink easily.

We uprated our MH from 3500 to 3850 if I remember correctly which was perfect for the scooter weight.
The two obvious disadvantages of uprating your MH weight are that you will have to take a further test when you hit 70 and the disadvantage that I hadn’t planned on was that there are a lot of roads particularly in France that have a 3.5t limit on. So technically you can’t use these roads, however police seem to turn a blind eye to MH’s in France.

Interestingly (if you’re still awake) when I was doing the paperwork for the weight uprate I may have forgotten to send the original V5 back to DVLA, and I may have forgotten to take it out of the MH. Which means I now run with two V5’s, one showing the MH as 3.5t and one which shows it as 3.85t. So if I get pulled for being down a restricted 3.5t road, I may forgetfully produce the wrong V5!
Thank you very much for that and I like the idea of the two V5s, might forget to send mine back!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back