LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
What i can't understand is why some people love them. Are they in denial after spending a fortune on what is little more than a legal scam? Have they never experienced a proper air conditioner? 🤔 Or do they somehow just work!? 😳 Err no.. forget the last one 😆
It certainly is a legal scam . Have you seen that , “ Transcool “ swamp cooler ?
They charge £340 ! Omg !
That’s not far off the Eurocom unit which is a real air conditioner !
I think people are embarrassed after spending so much money. Either that or a serve case of the Placebo effect.

Madbird

Free Member
Apr 25, 2015
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian
Exp
3 years
It's a roof mounted swamp cooler.
I’m not sure how it worked, we bought a trans cool before and yes, we’re p***ed off we had been taken in! This functions well in extreme heat and whilst not working as an a/c as such found it better! When we had our Elysian (RS) she had A/C in summer it didn’t feel like it was running because it couldn’t work hard enough! This moved the air and obviously worked off grid (with no Genny running to run it).
It certainly is a legal scam . Have you seen that , “ Transcool “ swamp cooler ?
They charge £340 ! Omg !
That’s not far off the Eurocom unit which is a real air conditioner !
I think people are embarrassed after spending so much money. Either that or a serve case of the Placebo effect.

Madbird

Free Member
Apr 25, 2015
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian
Exp
3 years
It doesn't perform very well at all really. It's an evaporative type so a circulating fan and a pool of water with maybe a cloth in it.
Ours worked excellently! Not chilling the air -but then I don’t really like the fact that an a/c ‘chills you’ once body temp has lowered! This gradually moved the air round and the air in (different strengths) was always MUCh cooler than the ambient temperature! I would suggest seeing one in action before negating them! And as mentioned previously - yes we got scammed to on the Transcool!

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Ours worked excellently! Not chilling the air -but then I don’t really like the fact that an a/c ‘chills you’ once body temp has lowered! This gradually moved the air round and the air in (different strengths) was always MUCh cooler than the ambient temperature! I would suggest seeing one in action before negating them! And as mentioned previously - yes we got scammed to on the Transcool!
I agree, we had a Trav-L-cool evaporative system on a Hymer which was a standard Hymer fit many years ago, it worked really well most of the time, Chuck some water and ice in the reservoir.

Madbird

Free Member
Apr 25, 2015
Kings Lynn, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian
Exp
3 years
I agree, we had a Trav-L-cool evaporative system on a Hymer which was a standard Hymer fit many years ago, it worked really well most of the time, Chuck some water and ice in the reservoir.
I’m quite a newbie to it all, and to be honest thought it was all ‘new tech’ I guess the ‘new tech’ bit is using water from the system and not having to do anything other than turn it on lol!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
Sadly we don't have AC, we have this that helps....

Attachments

• IMG_20220718_084742_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220718_084742_HDR.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 55
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I’m in the process of deciding whether ac is worth the money, I suppose it is when it’s hot, less so when it’s cool, it’s a cost vs value thing.

I KNOW I’ll end up getting it done, it’s just other problems that go with the fitting but I’ve got a very good company doing the necessary calcs 😉👍👍
Some Air con units are fairly heavy, I wouldn't fit one to a 3500 kg motorhome unless the motorhome was extremely light .

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Which model Freshjet did you choose? I'm interested in the low power start up and low power in use. I wonder if yours is an inverter or soft start.
It's a standard 1700 unit switched out from our previous van although for the length of motorhome Dometic recommend the Freshjet 2200. We just adjust the blower to suit. I believe they all have Dometic's SmartStart attachment pre built into them. This single phase soft starter can be fitted to any air con unit cutting any power spikes and reducing start up amps by about 65%.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Some Air con units are fairly heavy, I wouldn't fit one to a 3500 kg motorhome unless the motorhome was extremely light .
Our Freshjet 1700 with heat pump weighs 27kg which is 4kg lighter than the attached wind out sun canopy,

Aji

Dec 8, 2017
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Sgx
Exp
Neen
I thinks the Truma Air con unit fitted to my van is great.
Used throughout Italy, Spain and France .
Does a great job.
Not too noisy, nobody complained about noise on any of the sites when I had it switched on.
Ran okay on 6amp hook up, never tripped the supply once.
Would definitely go for the same or similar again.

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
Well we’ve used our air conditioning for the first time ever tonight (Van bought in February) absolute bliss 👍its 26 outside 18 in here ,a bit noisy but I’m more likely to sleep with it on than not 🙂

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Well we’ve used our air conditioning for the first time ever tonight (Van bought in February) absolute bliss 👍its 26 outside 18 in here ,a bit noisy but I’m more likely to sleep with it on than not 🙂
18c is not a healthy temperature for a/c use.

40 years in the RAC industry (Refrigeration and air-conditioning (not the AA Competitor)).

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
18c is not a healthy temperature for a/c use.

40 years in the RAC industry (Refrigeration and air-conditioning (not the AA Competitor)).
We love our Truma air con, can you elaborate on how we should be using it to its best ability in these kind of temperatures please, would hate to bugger it up!!

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We love our Truma air con, can you elaborate on how we should be using it to its best ability in these kind of temperatures please, would hate to bugger it up!!
It depends what you are quoting, 18c on the control unit, or are you recording 18c in the habitation area?.

Years ago, it was always suggested that for northern hemisphere 21c, anywhere south, 22c. But in general, its said that 10 degrees lower than the outside ambient temperature is sufficient and healthy .

So if its 36 outside, you will adapt better and be more comfortable at around 10 degrees less. So, 26c.

Thats my view.

It is currently 26c outside here in Manchester, after hitting 38.5c. inside the house was 36c earlier, even with blinds down. I set the home A/C to 26c and that suits us.

I am more than happy to listen to other opinions .

Aug 31, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
We have the “cool my camper” air con as shown by others . I only pulls 1.5 amp so it works with all hook ups . We are in SW France at the moment it’s 37 during the day and 28 at night . Our air con is a god sent at night it keeps the van at 19 , very comfortable. I wish we had bought one years ago

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We have the “cool my camper” air con as shown by others . I only pulls 1.5 amp so it works with all hook ups . We are in SW France at the moment it’s 37 during the day and 28 at night . Our air con is a god sent at night it keeps the van at 19 , very comfortable. I wish we had bought one years ago
Is that an evaporate air conditioner?

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
They really are fabulous units . Even if the hab area is really hot . This delivers enough of a cold breeze to instantly cool you down . We have been very impressed with ours and the off grid capabilities are good with the low 450w input

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Cool My Camper
I'd be tempted by one of these units if it wasn't for 3 things
I don't really have a suitable window in my PVC
They're supposedly not really easy/possible to handle by oneself
My window blinds close upwards

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Cool My Camper
I'd be tempted by one of these units if it wasn't for 3 things
I don't really have a suitable window in my PVC
They're supposedly not really easy/possible to handle by oneself
My window blinds close upwards
It’s actually easier by yourself rather than having someone getting in the way . Trick is to put the outside unit from the inside out .
You are welcome to come and have a try with mine if you are in the area .
Brackets etc can be made and make shift blinds sorted . We have been very happy with ours 👍🏻

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020
Devon
Funster No
MH
PILOTE 650 E
Exp
I wouldn’t trust anything that bloke suggests . He recently drilled through some cables in his roof . He’s a liability. I wouldn’t advocate taking any advice from this man .
Oh dear ! So why watch his channel? John offers practical advice and solutions based on his experiences, which for many is useful. On balance I have found his advice to be sound.

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
Oh dear ! So why watch his channel? John offers practical advice and solutions based on his experiences, which for many is useful. On balance I have found his advice to be sound.
I don’t watch the clown 🤡.
What I will do is always warn anyone on here to only watch his videos if you want to know how NOT to do something. He offers ill informed advice .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back