Air bag light + engine light + flashing mileometer (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
3 year old Ducato. 28000 miles.

On Friday when setting off for the weekend the airbag light came on.

I was parked up camping for the weekend- didn't start the engine at any point.

When I started it to leave today I have a engine check light in addition to the airbag, also the mileage is flashing.

Any ideas - I initially thought the common air bad issue but am wondering about these other additions- related or coincidence.

Any ideas other than ringing Fiat Professional in the morning. I'm meant to be off to France in a week and a bit. Annoying!

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Sounds like you need a proxy alignment doing to tell the vehicle which modules are fitted. Then a code read to see why it's lost them in the first place

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
I take it you haven’t got an OBD reader to get the diagnostic codes? If you are on a campsite you could perhaps ask around I’m sure some one will have a reader.

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I take it you haven’t got an OBD reader to get the diagnostic codes? If you are on a campsite you could perhaps ask around I’m sure some one will have a reader.

Question about that. I have a scan guage but it is permanently fitted to my VX220 so not use. I dug out an old OBD II reader from the garage but it doesn't seem to fit the Ducato. did they change port size at some point in the last 20 years?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Question about that. I have a scan guage but it is permanently fitted to my VX220 so not use. I dug out an old OBD II reader from the garage but it doesn't seem to fit the Ducato. did they change port size at some point in the last 20 years?
Depending on thevyear and model the Ducato uses a number of different pin configurations with the obd plug in.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
I used a scangauge on our 2019 ducato no problem.

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Well - considering I'm off to France next week I have bitten the bullet and booked into a Fiat Professional tomorrow. I'm all ready to be shafted! I will let you know by how much :(

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I have read that strange things happening with the instrument cluster (and vehicle electrics in general) can be down to a dodgy earth, could be worth checking out 🤔

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Airbag light & odometer flashing is normal for airbag ECU failure, not heard of it with engine light.

So it appears that the engine light is another separate problem (coincidental??). I shall post this in a separate thread to see how common it is.

So, not a great day. Visited a Fiat Professional in Bedford. The one I used before in Northampton is no longer Fiat and this one has just become Fiat in the last month. They have been very good at trying to fit me in quickly before my trip to France next week,

It is a failed Airbag module. they have had to order one in. They spent 2 hours investigating this and the other issue £180 diagnostic charge!!! Then there will be the airbag module and labour next week plus my other issue. I reckon I could be £1000 all in - on A 3 YEAR OLD 28,000 MILE VAN. :(

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It is a failed Airbag module. they have had to order one in. They spent 2 hours investigating this and the other issue £180 diagnostic charge!!! Then there will be the airbag module and labour next week plus my other issue. I reckon I could be £1000 all in - on A 3 YEAR OLD 28,000 MILE VAN. :(
Should be under £500 for the modual & fitting.
I thought they had finally got over the airbag ECU problem apparently not.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
So it appears that the engine light is another separate problem (coincidental??). I shall post this in a separate thread to see how common it is.

So, not a great day. Visited a Fiat Professional in Bedford. The one I used before in Northampton is no longer Fiat and this one has just become Fiat in the last month. They have been very good at trying to fit me in quickly before my trip to France next week,

The part is around £280-£320 ish.. I got mine from a local spares place.
DIY fitted 10 mins, 3 bolts and 2 clip in connectors.
New parts needs to be matched to the vans system "proxi alignment" local garage charged me £40 took longer to pull onto the forecourt than to do the programming. I could have bought the software to do myself but had no laptop handy.

Bad enough that these parts fail but a big bill like that is a right kick.. :swear2:

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
Should be under £500 for the modual & fitting.
I thought they had finally got over the airbag ECU problem apparently not.

Well, the new Ducatos may have done but unless they have upgraded the unit fitted to the affected model then surely it will keep happening?

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
The part is around £280-£320 ish.. I got mine from a local spares place.
DIY fitted 10 mins, 3 bolts and 2 clip in connectors.
New parts needs to be matched to the vans system "proxi alignment" local garage charged me £40 took longer to pull onto the forecourt than to do the programming. I could have bought the software to do myself but had no laptop handy.

Bad enough that these parts fail but a big bill like that is a right kick.. :swear2:

Can a local garage do the software bit then - I thought that would be Fiat only? Newer models you can read the codes but not delete apparently. I could have gone to my local guy but I suspected he would just say no. Also I felt having a warranty on the new one might be a good idea. And I needed a quick fix.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Can a local garage do the software bit then - I thought that would be Fiat only?
Yes if they have it.
There are many members on here who also have it and use it.
Multiecuscan is the software.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
i had something similat, turned out i had blown a fuse, think it was the radio fuse, the dash lit up like a christmas tree sending me into panic mode, but it really was just one fuse !!! i blew it when i was changing the head unit. of course if it is a blown fuse and it happens again, then it will need a bit more investigating.

if you havent already, check all your fuses under the dash ..... hopefully its a simple as that !

Nov 20, 2019
Monifieth, Dundee, UK
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo
Exp
Since 2020
I had the same NOX sensor and sender fault as you - just sneaked into warranty so the dealer dealt with that.
Two months ago the airbag ecu failed (flashing mileage and airbag light) which I sent off for repair, refitted and its been fine since.
Now the tpms ecu has failed so I have taken it off to identify it, bought a used one and will fit it when it arrives.
It seems like you had the first two faults at the same time and, if you are unlucky, still have the tpms ecu to come.
MultiEcuScan has been a great way to diagnose the problems, and, using proxi align, to turn off the annoying flashing mileage and warning lights while waiting for parts.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
3 year old van, may be worth contacting Fiat Professional UK (is there such a thing?) and asking for a bit of goodwill on the replacement cost, or asking the garage to ask on your behalf.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I have learnt the following from flashing dashboard lights and warnings this summer.

Air Filter needs replacement = Birds nest in air filter
Particle filter needs replacement = Another birds nest in the air filter
Engine light = ABS Sensor full of water.
ABS FAIL = Other ABS sensor also full of water (But seemed fine the day before)
Handbrake On = No it's not
Tyre low pressure alarm = It's a bit cold on that side, warm it up a bit and it will be fine.

Lessons:
Don't drive through flooded roads, even if it's only 6" deep
Don't park near trees or other bird nesting areas.
Park facing north or south so both sides of the van warm up equally.
Never leave the handbrake on when in storage.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.

😒Indeed.
Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back