Air assist Alco-chasess (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Ok the van dose not have a shaggy bottom but wondering if there's a product on out there like air assist
Retro fit for this type of suspension
Bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Kits available for coil and leaf springs.....just a matter of finding one that fits.
Don sum research and contact a manufacturer I can fit them owing to not having ABS as it would affect the braking with the rear axel having the load de sensor I plays havoc with the braking can however fit gas shocks
A bit more reserch.
I don't have springs it's arm's on my van
Once fitted I can then adjust load sell to the ride height apparently
But can't have the Aire bags as it can't compensation for the distant height apparently
Might just put new shocks on as the ones on the van are a bit tired
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There's a bit of an obsession amongst airbag manufacturers about adjusting the rear brake load sensor. The sensor (as you no doubt know) is there so that a lightly-loaded van rear brakes don't lock before full braking is achieved at the front. Now consider this: when is any motorhome 'lightly-loaded'? We're all more concerned about overloading. So if after fitting airbags you move the sensor arm so it thinks the van is fully loaded all the time, no matter what height you set the rear, everything will work just fine.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
There's a bit of an obsession amongst airbag manufacturers about adjusting the rear brake load sensor. The sensor (as you no doubt know) is there so that a lightly-loaded van rear brakes don't lock before full braking is achieved at the front. Now consider this: when is any motorhome 'lightly-loaded'? We're all more concerned about overloading. So if after fitting airbags you move the sensor arm so it thinks the van is fully loaded all the time, no matter what height you set the rear, everything will work just fine.
Thanks I am looking at a few potions including sumthing a Frend has fitted to his van having a look on Tuesday or Wednesday
Bill

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We have VB semi air on the rear of a Hymer Exsis/Alko maxi and no problems at all however I think that you may have to have it fitted as they are different for the Alko chassis
You can get load adjusting shocks ALC but only through Alko they look good but when I enquired it meant a trip to Germany to get them done.
Contact details for Alko.
Chris Gordon

Sales & Production Administration

AL-KO KOBER Limited
South Warwickshire Business Park
Kineton Road
Southam
Warwickshire
CV47 0AL

Tel:

E: chris.gordon@al-ko.co.uk
W: www.al-ko.co.uk

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the bags raise the rear simply adjust the load sensor back to its original position.
Might have to make new link rod but that's easy enough.
No matter how heavy the rear if the sensor is too high because of the airbags it will think the van is lightly loaded, adjusting the link rod length to suit will put braking effort back to normal.

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We have VB semi air on the rear of a Hymer Exsis/Alko maxi and no problems at all however I think that you may have to have it fitted as they are different for the Alko chassis
You can get load adjusting shocks but only through Alko they look good but when I enquired it meant a trip to Germany to get them done.
There are after market ones on the market that the convertors custom car van boys use
I have a cunning plan but will be changing the tired old shocker's any way
Bill

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
If the bags raise the rear simply adjust the load sensor back to its original position.
Might have to make new link rod but that's easy enough.
No matter how heavy the rear if the sensor is too high because of the airbags it will think the van is lightly loaded, adjusting the link rod length to suit will put braking effort back to normal.
Measurements under way making up and down in progress looking at M10 thread bar to make adjustment extension
Thanks John for
Bill

Mar 10, 2016
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class RMB 750HE
Exp
Three years and counting, 30 years a tent tower.
Don't know if this helps but our unit has Aircell units fitted, no compressor needed and the variable rate response of the material in the units compensates very well in our so far limited experience including side winds in Storm Katerina last year. I have the details in German if that would help?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
M10 sounds a bit heavy to me as its only moving the sensor arm, but you have the original one to measure it....not me.
I would have expected M6

OP
OP
Wildbill
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
M10 sounds a bit heavy to me as its only moving the sensor arm, but you have the original one to measure it....not me.
I would have expected M6
You might be right John I will look tomorrow getting shouted at by grandouter for not eating
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back