After market radio for MoHo (1 Viewer)

Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
My MoHo came with a very basic radio and I would like to replace it with something better. Fiat dash 2015 has a 2 din slot available.

Having experienced a modern radio system that came with my newish car I would love to have similar facilities in the vehicle I spend most time in! Decent amp, DAB, FM, bluetooth for phones, touch screen, USB for music, clear screen and intuitive menu.

Any ideas, recommendations, experiences would be appreciated. (quality and ease of use much more important than flashy graphics etc)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I've been using a Sony XAV-AX100 for the past six months driving around Europe. I've upgraded the original Fiat speakers with some £100 JBL components and put some more sound insulation in. It could do with a sub, but overall the sound is a massive improvement.

The main reason I got it is for Android Auto, which it's been fantastic for. It's been rock solid and the menus are very simple.

The AX100 has now been replaced. More recent models also have DAB. Note that many of them are mechless though (no CD) if that's important to you.

Bob Morrison

Free Member
Feb 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 130
Exp
5 years
Any ideas, recommendations, experiences would be appreciated. (quality and ease of use much more important than flashy graphics etc)

If you're in the UK, pop in to Halfords - stereo range has just been updated and some lovely prices on ex display models at the moment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi guys. We have just put in a Pioneer Apple car play

Changed ours from the fitted system and added this and to be honest...Its Brilliant! It did cost a few bob but I do love my music and the ability to keep in touch with folk with modern tech.
Love it to be honest

Kev

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I fitted a Clarion double din been very pleased with. Any decent branded uint will be pretty good these days.
Be wary of Pioneer although nice units, even at low volume the double din units draw 6, amps, my Clarion only takes 2 amps.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
I fitted a Clarion double din been very pleased with. Any decent branded uint will be pretty good these days.
Be wary of Pioneer although nice units, even at low volume the double din units draw 6, amps, my Clarion only takes 2 amps.
Just a personal note ..If the system is being used frequently off grid, regardless of make ..it will pull the batteries down as you mention. If you are on grid , the amps pulled would not be a problem. That aside..with the additional Sub and tweeters that we have..I may be pulling excess of the stated current drawer any way. It's a personal choice thing i am sure.

Kev

OP
OP
TeamBandS
Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Thanks for all the replies: Given me much to think about especially the Android Auto facility.

Bob Morrison.. Thanks for heads up re Halfords - will be visiting them tomorrow and hoping to find an assistant who is a "fountain of knowledge" on these systems. (figures crossed)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have just bought a Pioneer SPH-DA230DAB from Halfords, it is discounted at present. I chose it because it has Apple Car Play and Android Auto. This means I can feed Google Maps/Waze/Apple Maps to it’s double din screen from my phone. You can also connect a reversing camera. Many music apps can be launched using Siri.

It is for my new motorhome, arriving soon, so it is not yet installed. Pioneer has a good reputation so I do not expect to be disappointed. The Halfords demonstration of navigation with my iPhone providing the maps and data was more than enough to convince me it was the future. No need for a separate navigator and a good display.

OP
OP
TeamBandS
Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Went to Halfords in Oswestry and asked and got an extremely knowledgeable young man who spent about 30 minutes explaining all the features on radios from less expensive 1 Din models to the expensive 2 Din units. No pressure to buy and understood my requirements and lack of interest in flashing disco lights etc! Liked the look of the Sonys as they seemed simpler and more intuitive. Not sure if I will now go for a 1 Din with full mobile connectivity (expect will be the most used facility) or 3x the cost of the 2 Din unit which I can see Google maps on.....

Bob Morrison

Free Member
Feb 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 130
Exp
5 years
This is what was on offer today in my local branch

Attachments

• IMG_20190720_131120.jpg
    IMG_20190720_131120.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 35

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Don't be surprised when you take it to bits that what you think is a double din slot is not. Fiat don't fit double din radios or sat navs. If you want a double din one then you have to get the dremel out and cut away some of the plastic to fit the double din cage.

I have just fitted one of the new Pumpkin Android 9's with a 10.1 inch screen. Sure makes looking at maps a lot easier than a little screen. With it being true Android lots of different apps will run on it. Running iGO Pal at the moment but also have a copy of CoPilot that also works.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I recently fitted a JVC touchscreen Bluetooth + remote etc , very pleased. My Hymer had a double din slot so easy to fit.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
We went with the Sony ax 1000
Has apple car play but not DAB
Was able to adapt the original Fiat cage so avoiding the use of the dremel though that's not a big job
Link below re wiring so can use without ignition on
I ordered the wrong facia so had to alter that a bit to get a tidy fit

OP
OP
TeamBandS
Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
On my facia (Fiat 2015) it came with a 1 Din radio fitted into a slot in cage with a facia matching front trim. The 2nd 1 din slot has a open fronted box that slips in and has been very useful for glasses etc. I am guilty of assuming that this was a double din area (why would Fiat not make it so?) but I will now have to get the tape out and do some measuring. On a positive side, the wiring for the existing radio will simply connect to all the units I have looked at so no power problems. As it comes out in minutes, I might just take the cage and facia in to Halfords and try the radio....

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
On my facia (Fiat 2015) it came with a 1 Din radio fitted into a slot in cage with a facia matching front trim. The 2nd 1 din slot has a open fronted box that slips in and has been very useful for glasses etc. I am guilty of assuming that this was a double din area (why would Fiat not make it so?) but I will now have to get the tape out and do some measuring. On a positive side, the wiring for the existing radio will simply connect to all the units I have looked at so no power problems. As it comes out in minutes, I might just take the cage and facia in to Halfords and try the radio....

My radio fascia was the same so I removed the tray and the clip in surround, I cut out and smoothed the central separating piece which now left a good fit for the new radio.

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
I’m still waiting for availability of our new unit ... Kenwood DMX8019DABS 7". Bit irritating as the existing Kenwood is only 6 months old , works brilliantly but doesn’t support Apple CarPlay.

gpz

May 24, 2012
north yorkshire
Funster No
MH
converted movano
Exp
if you go to Halfords don't let them fit your new unit I made that mistake and after going back a couple of times because the radio was hopeless with no reception so ive ended up with the most expensive cd player ever ,after a couple of attempts to sort the radio receptionthey told me they could do no more

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Why does my radio cut off after about 20minutes ?

Does the radio use MORE energy from the engine battery than that battery will be taking in from the leisure battery solar panel passover?

Sorry if daft question.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Why does my radio cut off after about 20minutes ?

Does the radio use MORE energy from the engine battery than that battery will be taking in from the leisure battery solar panel passover?

Sorry if daft question.

It’s probably powered by the engine battery so is timed out to protect power for starting.
Ours is fed from domestic battery so no problem and might be worth getting yours changed to avoid the annoying cutting out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back