Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Im a Newbie
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times before but i'm new to the camper van world. My requirements are spend up to 18k to accommodate me and the missus, I want something where we can enjoy relative comfort. In two years I'll be retiring so I will have more time to travel a little further.
motorbikes and cycling are my thing, so a vehicle that could accommodate both would be great. I like the idea of finding a base for a few days and not having to drive the MH into local towns, which had even had me thinking of a 5th wheel at one point. Cheers in advance Steve

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
good luck with your search two points i will mention regarding carrying a motor bike a lot of garages in motor homes have very low weight limits on the floor so just because the garage is big enough doesnt mean it will carry a bike
also gross vehicle weight and axle loadings need to be taken into account a bike in a rear garage can put a lot of weight on the rear axle if the bike is any size you may need to consider towing a trailer for the bike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
As you're posting in the Fulltimers section, I assume you're looking to go full-time. You've therefore got a lot of other questions to answer before you find an "ideal" van.

Your licence is probably okay for over 3.5t so first off, how big a vehicle do you think you'll be comfortable driving? What kind of layout are you thinking about. Then think that last one again - it's THE most important decision in a van purchase. Once you've decided on size you can then think about carrying your bikes - an internal garage or will you need a trailer?

Are you thinking of moving every few days or would you want to stop longer; need to look at site fees etc. How much room means "comfortable", some people manage (really) in a VW campervan, others "need" a 10 metre RV.

Take time to read other posts on the subject in this section, there are plenty of posts covering this subject. You should be able to get something within your budget but it won't be anything like new so also checkout buying a van threads - in fact Jim has produced an excellent guide for this, see the Resources section (top of page, dark blue line, 3rd from left).

Good luck, and once you've digested that lot you can come back and ask more specific questions.

Oh yes, w2f

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
motorbikes and cycling are my thing, so a vehicle that could accommodate both would be great

Cycles are not a problem, bikes are.

The problem is the rear overhang, you put a modest 100kg bike on the back and if the overhang to the back axle is big enough it could be seeing 200kg and that could put you over your load limit.

Sounds like you are 63 and so will be able to drive over 3.5t for 7 years. If so you could go for a bigger van that will easily take the 100k/200k loading.

If you want small then you can tow the bike for find a van with short overhang and a good bit of spare capacity.

OP
OP
V

Vazy

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Im a Newbie
Many thanks for the reply. I'm looking at doing long runs, perhaps a few months at a time rather than living full time. I have more to think of now thanks to your feedback.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Many thanks for the reply. I'm looking at doing long runs, perhaps a few months at a time rather than living full time. I have more to think of now thanks to your feedback.

Okay - now you've got another set of questions and again you'll find answers here, although you'd be better off posting in a different section, probably "The Beginner"; lots of info in there.
Couple of thoughts, insurance; most insurers put a 30 day limit on leaving your home unoccupied. Travel insurance can have similar restrictions. While vehicle insurance is not usually a problem make sure you aren't limited to being away for a certain number of days each year.
Then, where are you going to park/store it when you're not away.

OP
OP
V

Vazy

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Im a Newbie
Okay - now you've got another set of questions and again you'll find answers here, although you'd be better off posting in a different section, probably "The Beginner"; lots of info in there.
Couple of thoughts, insurance; most insurers put a 30 day limit on leaving your home unoccupied. Travel insurance can have similar restrictions. While vehicle insurance is not usually a problem make sure you aren't limited to being away for a certain number of days each year.
Then, where are you going to park/store it when you're not away.
Never though of the 30 day clause Cheers

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
Welcome from South Wiltshire.

Cycles and motorcycles are my thing too, I've assumed I'm going to tow a m/c and get a tow bar mounted bicycle rack.

I'd like to have an idea of when I can retire but I haven't !

OP
OP
V

Vazy

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Im a Newbie
Welcome from South Wiltshire.

Cycles and motorcycles are my thing too, I've assumed I'm going to tow a m/c and get a tow bar mounted bicycle rack.

I'd like to have an idea of when I can retire but I haven't !
June 19 is my date I hope, I'll be 56 so hopefully a bit of life in the old dog :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back