Advice wanted on how to set a time delay for charging leisure batteries after engine start. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I worry that, as soon as the engine starts and the alternator outputs, it has to recharge the starter battery, the two leisure batteries and the 12v supply to the fridge and may put an unnecessary load on the alternator. This being worse when camping for a few days not on EHU. Yes I do have solar.
I am considering a timer circuit to interupt the D+ signal for about ten minutes to allow the starter batt to recharge and the engine etc to warm up.
Has anyone done this?

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Happy New Year 68c :xThumb:
I am wondering why you are concerned about putting a load on your alternator? Have you had one burn out recently?
Most alternators on MH's are heavy duty ones capable of supplying high enough currents to charge up batteries, and run on board fridges etc without too much concern.
Those that have fitted high power B2B's to charge up batteries faster in the main, do not need to fit a delay circuit to their D+ either.
Can you give us a little more info & reasons why you feel the need for a delay circuit?
Many Thanks.
LES

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I use a Victron B2B...it provide a delayed charge to my leisure battery set how I want it. Lots of Tech information on past threads..,👍🇪🇦

Reactions: 68c
OP
OP
68c

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
And a happy New Year to you TinaLes. Probably a daft idea, just that I thought the charging system was designed for a delivery van, not expected to charge two, possibly flat, extra batteries and the fridge. We do have 120Amp alternator, no aircon, so I suppose I am worrying about nothing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
120 amp alternator is quite small for a Motorhome but more than enough for your setup.
Starter battery will get the lions share when charging due to the heavy cables and shortest cable run to the alternator.
You are worrying about nothing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back