Advice required for Sterling BTB charger (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
I have a Sterling BB241235 charger fitted which is working well but we’re on site on EHU and every so often the BTB starts up and runs for a short while. If as It seems to me that the vehicle battery charger (CTEK MULTI XT 14000) is getting the vehicle battery up to a certain point wherein the BTB kicks in, is this okay or could I be harming the vehicle battery?
The BTB is wired as per their default setting but there is an option to incorporate an ignition feed, which means that the BTB is off.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Richard

Reactions: DBK
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I cannot answer your detailed question about the interaction of the B2b, the CTEk and EHU.

We have an Elektroblok instead of a CTEK.

I was advised, including by Sterling, to keep the systems separate.

So, our Sterling B2B is wired from the Alternator directly to the engine battery and then the leisure batteries.

Works well for us. Only glitch is that Elektroblok ammeter goes to negative - Sterling cannot find a way to make the two system compatible, but I do not care as I know from the higher voltage that the B2B is banging charge into both sets of batteries.

So my B2B only works off the alternator. Why do you need it on EHU as the CTEK must be doing the job of charging both battery sets?

I suggest separating the two systems and only using the B2B when driving.

Geoff

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I cant see any problem with that.. the battery to battery obviously thinks the alternator is running because of the high voltage on the engine battery... the only thing id be checking is what voltage its happening at.. i would have thought the charger would work within acceptable voltages and resort to a lower float charge when necessary..
If you try and start the vehicle with the batteries connected the leisure side may well be connected to the engine battery but shouldnt cause a problem as the engine battery is fully charged and shouldnt get a high current flow from the leisure batteries during starting...i dont have a battery to battery charger but guess that the ignition feed that you mention is to disconnect the b to b charger during starting..
See what others who have one fitted think..
Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Same thing happens with solar charging, if your B2B is the latest type you can set up to charge only when ignition is on there is a connection for this on the small terminal block, better still wire it to the D+ circuit from the alternator then it will only charge when the engine is running. Alternatively fit a relay inline with the output switched by the D+.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Why do you need a vehicle battery charger connected when you're using the van?
You should be able to last at least 2 or 3 weeks before you have problems starting...... Unless your starter battery is knackered.

OP
OP
Richard Birkett
Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks everyone for your advice & comments.
Perhaps I should have mentioned that the base vehicle batteries are 24v and therefore are not connected to the electoblok which deals with the 12v Hab side of things, which is why we have the CTEk 24v charger.
I will investigate the ignition link as per Lenny HB’s suggestion.
Pappajohn, I hope the above explains and no the batteries are fine (touch wood!)

Richard

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the cab battery is 24v and the hab battery is 12v what is the B2B charging.
To me its putting 24v into a 12v battery when the alternator is running... Or am I missing something.
I have no working experience of B2B.

Just realised, it's only across one of the cab batteries. :doh:

Still doesn't explain why you need a permanently connected 24v charger though.
If my starter battery starts getting flat I put it on charge for a while to top it up.

OP
OP
Richard Birkett
Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
Pappajohn, I have no idea why Carthago installed the permanent 24v charger and now you’ve pointed it out, you are 100% correct, as none of my previous motorhomes had a dedicated vehicle charger. Perhaps it’s because the EBL performed that function when both systems are 12v? It all does seem a bit ott as I’ve got both 12 & 24v alternators. The Carthago handbook does make reference to their system ensuring that the vehicle is always ready to drive off. Perhaps a simple solution to the original problem/niggle could be to just switch off the CTEK!
Richard

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It does appear at first sight to be a good idea as the CTEK will be a smart charger anyway and not harmful to the engine battery but at the same time it's interfering with other circuits which isn't a good thing.
I do like the idea of a dedicated 12v alternator though... Much more efficient than a split charge.

OP
OP
Richard Birkett
Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
Stop asking us amateurs and just phone Sterling - one of the most knowledgeable companies in the business.

Where did that come from! Though Perhaps it wasn’t intended to be as rude as it appears.
As noted elsewhere, it isn’t the Sterling unit doing anything wrong (if wrong is the correct term) and I have found the amateurs on here to be extremely knowledgeable and helpful with the previous few times I have asked for help but thanks for your input.
Richard

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back