Advice please, what will £15000 get me. (1 Viewer)

elcottero

Free Member
Sep 8, 2017
Funster No
Hi folks.
I plan to buy my first motorhome over the next couple of months.
I have a budget of £15000.
I would like a four berth.
What make, year, mileage should I be looking at for my £15000.

I have no idea what I should be looking at and would appreciate some help to at least start me looking and making comparisons.

Regards, James.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Don't forget to look at the underlying structure of any prospective purchase. I have a small camper in the workshop now for two solid days of welding repairs! Customers only owned it a few months. It's very easy to fall in love with the idea of a motorhome and then be swayed by a clean and tidy interior without giving a thought to the mechanicals. £15000 is going to buy a ten plus year old motorhome so save a couple of grand for sorting out issues. Brakes, tyres, cam belt on even a smallish van could easily cost the thick end of a grand. Check the dates on the tyres and look closely for cracking both on sidewalks and in the tread.

D.
Currently at 28 hours of welding repairs, I grossly under estimated the extent of the rot in this one, probably still got 6 - 8 hours to go. A prime example of what not to buy and why you should not be swayed by a clean and chintzy interior and clean exterior bodywork, get down low and look closely at the underlying structure. Ask yourself this "would i buy a 19 year old car without having an inspection first?

D

Upvote 0

Jaycee3

Free Member
Dec 5, 2016
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just under £14k bought us a 16 year old 6 berth knaus traveller from a private ebay sellar with 12 m mot and quite a bit of history. It has a few minor dings on the outside but the inside is in good condition for its age. Might get the seats recovered at some point. We have put some money aside in case any issues crop up but feel even if they do we will have saved money over buying from a dealer.

I would say go to a show and look at loads. Even if over budget it will give you an idea of layout and makes you like. Then its a matter of finding 'the one'. Good luck.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2017
The Fens
Funster No
MH
Ford Duetto, 1995
Exp
I love that Hymer, but too soon to buy for us sadly and OH hasn't looked at any yet waiting until the funds arrive.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Last year for £15000 i bought a 2002 Autosleeper with 28000 on the clock,,full service history and two previous owners,,BUSBY,,

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Welcome to Fun.

Not sure if anyone has said to make sure you have four travelling seats - motorhomes don't always have enough for the number of berths.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Beerbiker

Free Member
Sep 13, 2017
Funster No
I am in a similar position but have been persuaded by looking that I need to go a bit higher. I'd check out continental vans in the 1999-2003 age bracket. But you have to imagine how you will live ...everybody's compromises are different. Having said that I saw a Mobilvette which looked fantastic in the photos but the MOT's looked a bit dodgy and the underside...lotsa rust..revealed what I thought the MOT history was telling me. Caveat emptor!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back