Advice please - found a potential motorhome (1 Viewer)

In the Pink

Free Member
Sep 19, 2018
Surrey/Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Complete Novice
Good morning Funsters
I am looking to buy a Hymer Exsis SK and they are few and far between. I have found one that I am potentially going to view in Dorset.

It is a 2005, Fiat 2.0 litre Jtd, 32000kgs GVW with 43,000 miles on the clock.

From previous posts on the forum the advice is don't worry about high mileage, that's what they are built for, better the motorhome is used and not sat around.
If the mileage is genuine, should I be worried it has not been used that much??
The seller says
'We are the 2nd owners and have had the Exsis since 2010. Most years we go away at least once for approx 4 weeks (mostly to France) and then have the occasional short break'

Your thoughts/advice would be appreciated.

Thank you and have a good day

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Take a damp meter and walk away if any readings are over 20%
Check all the paperwork especially Habitation checks.

If you do not understand how a motorhome works or never had one before - take someone who does. They are complicated bits of kit and some replacement parts are eye-watering expensive.

Low or high mileage not really a problem if it has been cared for and has regular serving. Have they got all the service invoices since 2010. Don't rely on stamps in the book.

I would post the advert and let people comment, someone might know the van.

Happy hunting (y)

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Check service history, cam belt change, does it run well? Do you know much about engines, mechanics etc or can you take someone with you who does?
some on here will say unless it's done 10 thousand miles a year then walk away, I disagree, it may still have been well looked after with low mileage.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
2.0 ltr jtd engine may be slow and underpowered especially on hills depends really if you are in a rush to get to places or happy to take day by day.

If it looks and smells ok ( damp smells ) pay out to get more checks done which will give peace of mind and some sort of insurance if done professionally

Upvote 0
OP
OP
In the Pink

In the Pink

Free Member
Sep 19, 2018
Surrey/Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Complete Novice
Thanks guys for your prompt responses...
I know nothing about motorhomes so if it is a potential purchase I will be looking for a mechanic to carry out an inspection.

@mfw I was wondering whether 2.0 litre would be sufficient. Ideally looking for the 2.3 litre version but hard to find.
I took advice from funsters and hired a van, it was a cChausson on Ford 2.0 litre engine and was a heap of s*** and laboured up any hill.
But, it was a hire van, that had clearly been worked hard and is a lot bigger than the Hymer Exsis.

Thanks again for the sound advice. As everyone says, joining the forum is the best £15 I have spent

Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Thanks guys for your prompt responses...
I know nothing about motorhomes so if it is a potential purchase I will be looking for a mechanic to carry out an inspection.

@mfw I was wondering whether 2.0 litre would be sufficient. Ideally looking for the 2.3 litre version but hard to find.
I took advice from funsters and hired a van, it was a cChausson on Ford 2.0 litre engine and was a heap of s*** and laboured up any hill.
But, it was a hire van, that had clearly been worked hard and is a lot bigger than the Hymer Exsis.

Thanks again for the sound advice. As everyone says, joining the forum is the best £15 I have spent

Never had a 2.0ltr but my 2.8 jtd can and does struggle on some steep hills unless i let it rev high in a lower gear - i tend to just let it rev to 2500 it can rev higher but change gear and power drops off so i just let my van have an easy life but i'm in no rush

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
@In the Pink With all the info you've now gleaned go have a look at it. Try not to listen to the vendors who will of course will be extolling it's virtues and overlooking it' faults. Make a few notes then come away and post again with your findings. As you've found out you'll get a lot more advice - okay some of it will be cinflicted but you should then have a much better idea if "it's the one"!

Good luck!

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
It looks a reasonably well maintained van. Check the date on the tyres. Good luck.
4B536DFE-99E4-47DA-AFDC-A4FDB36E898E.png
4B536DFE-99E4-47DA-AFDC-A4FDB36E898E.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
In the Pink

In the Pink

Free Member
Sep 19, 2018
Surrey/Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Complete Novice
So after the readings Jim's book again, I asked the seller a number of questions - his answers are in bold text.
After all I have learned from you good people I am surprised and concerned that nohabitation check or damp check has been carried out by the owner in 8 years of ownership!??

How many leisure batteries does it have and how old are they? One. Replaced in April 2015
Is a solar panel fitted? No
When was the last proper habitation check carried out? I never felt the need for a habitation check. Last one was August 2010 prior to my purchase.
When was the last damp test carried out?I never felt the need for a damp check. Last one was August 2010 prior to my purchase.
Has it ever been in an accident? No
Is there a full service history with receipts? I have Receipts for all (most - I can’t guarantee that I haven’t mislaid some ) work since I purchased it in 2010.
How old are the tyres? April 2015
Date of last service? July 2018
Date cam belt was last changed? June 2013
Date gas (boiler/fridge)last checked/serviced? Not known
Are there gas/Lpg detectors fitted? No
Do you have the manuals for the equipment? Yes

So what do you guys think?
Any further advice/guidance appreciated.

Thank you once again

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
That's really difficult as a lot of people on here don't have damp or hab checks. You need to take a damp meter and check for yourself the full condition of the van, or take someone with you who knows.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
My Hymer is a 2003 B544, I`ve had it coming up to four years and never felt the need for a hab check.
I check myself regularly for anything untoward and mostly do my own maintenance. I`ve learned how to remove the fridge and service it. Mostly from friendly advice on FUN.
The main thing now I`m not sure about is if the Truma blown air boiler needs any servicing / maintenence. It`s working fine so my instinct tells me if it`s not broke, don`t fix it.
Writing this has prompted me to investigate further so I`ll post the question.
PS I just remembered, I did pay for a hab check before I bought it so I think the advice would be for you to do the same, or take someone who knows how to work a damp meter
Edit - have you posted a link to the ad ? would be useful for others to give it a scan over for anything that`s obvious to experienced motorhomers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
In the Pink

In the Pink

Free Member
Sep 19, 2018
Surrey/Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Complete Novice
Thanks guys....
There's no 'ad' as such. I posted a 'wanted ad' on the Hymer Exsis forum and this guy came forward saying they are thinking of selling and gave me the basic details. It transpires he is not committed to selling until he finds a suitable replacement and I understand he has a couple to view.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My main concern from your list of questions and answers is the cam belt.
At 5 years since last renewal it's definately due/overdue for renewal.
Cost of replacement could be between £300 & £400.
If it isn't replaced there's a very real chance it can fail with catastrophic consequences which could increase the repair bill by up to a thousand pounds.
£400 or £1400.......your choice.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
cam belt five years old is a bargaining point i would be worried if gross vehicle weight at 3200kg will give you enough payload possibly ok for a solo traveler

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
So after the readings Jim's book again, I asked the seller a number of questions - his answers are in bold text.
After all I have learned from you good people I am surprised and concerned that nohabitation check or damp check has been carried out by the owner in 8 years of ownership!??

How many leisure batteries does it have and how old are they? One. Replaced in April 2015
Is a solar panel fitted? No
When was the last proper habitation check carried out? I never felt the need for a habitation check. Last one was August 2010 prior to my purchase.
When was the last damp test carried out?I never felt the need for a damp check. Last one was August 2010 prior to my purchase.
Has it ever been in an accident? No
Is there a full service history with receipts? I have Receipts for all (most - I can’t guarantee that I haven’t mislaid some ) work since I purchased it in 2010.
How old are the tyres? April 2015
Date of last service? July 2018
Date cam belt was last changed? June 2013
Date gas (boiler/fridge)last checked/serviced? Not known
Are there gas/Lpg detectors fitted? No
Do you have the manuals for the equipment? Yes

So what do you guys think?
Any further advice/guidance appreciated.

Thank you once again

For me answering the questions like this is a person who bought and has run the motorhome on a shoestring.

They have never spent a penny on anything unless it inconvenienced them.

I suspect you will find major items that do not work properly and almost certainly damp issues.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Okay, you've told us what he said and I don't think there's anything suspicious there, other than what others have posted.

So what were your impressions? Did you like the look of it? Did it feel okay - even if you know very little about things you often get a "feel" for them. More to the point, do you think you could live in it?

We can only offer suggestions, in the end it's your money you're spending. If you still want to go ahead and think it's worth it arrange to have a habitation check done by a professional who knows about motorhomes, the AA or RAC are not experts in this case although they will check the mechanicals. Paying £150 now could give you peace of mind - or save you thousands of pounds.

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
Where is the van ?
At the moment im in west Sussex on the south coast if its anywhere near i would be more than willing to give it a once over for you.

Same goes for any funster looking down this way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You have not told us one of the main deciders the price!!. If its low it might be there would be a bit left over for any repairs sounds good to me that someone has had it for 10 years not getting rid after a couple ( if there are problems) also just 2 owners. I would get a hab check after negotiating a price dependant on it passing if you decide it looks like the one for you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
In the Pink

In the Pink

Free Member
Sep 19, 2018
Surrey/Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Complete Novice
@wigster
Thank you for the kind offer but the van is in Dorchester, Dorset.

@thewho @TerryL
Thanks guys.
It's £24k which compared to other SK's I've seen is overpriced, especially for a private sale. I'm going with my head and not my heart and have decided not to buy this one.

Thanks everyone for all your input, it's really appreciated and valuable, especially to someone like me. I know nothing about motorhomes and this will be my first purchase!!

Still looking for a RHD Hymer SK if anyone is thinking of selling

Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Old motorhomes 10yr old + have huge variations on price for same/similar models it is very much buyer beware

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2018
Bridport Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 655
Exp
Trailer tent for 10 years Motorhome since 2018
Suggest looking on the DVLA / gov vehicle tax web site and inputting the van reg (if you have it) there you will find the MOT history including any advisories and previous failures??

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back