Advice about Replacement Rooflight please. (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
The lifting mechanism on the smaller of my Dometic Rooflights has failed.

It has been still for a while, but I have not found any way of lubricating it. Last week, while we were away, I managed to open and shut it a bit, but when I tried the last turn to lock it, it went very tight and further pressure resulted in a nasty graunching noise. At least it was fully shut, but will lift about 25mm.

It looks like this:

IMG_20210602_141112069.jpg

While looking for a replacement, I have found a Heki Mini, (see link below) which seems to be a direct replacement (400mm x 400mm)

Has anyone fitted one of these, and will I find fixing holes from the original rooflight will be visible after installation?

Are they normally fitted using bedding tape, or a sealant such as Sika?

<Broken link removed>

Thanks, John

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
That looks much more sophisticated than the the standard type.
Have you tried taking it down off the roof? The surrounds are often just clipped up on steel fingers get you fingers behind and pull.
You might then see how to lube it

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
2 options, strip down and repair what you have, as parts are usually available. However the design means that water enters the mechanism, causing rust and the teeth slip on the "chain" it's not a chain, but wire with teeth on..

the other option is the heki of the same size is a direct replacement. the 2 halves, top and bottom clamp together through the aperture and seal with mastic tape. It's not particularly difficult and so long as you clean the old mastic away fully it will be watertight. white spirit loads of rags and an old bank card are your friends

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
This is important. Sand the sealing surfaces on new Hiki replacement windows as they have a mould releasing agent on them which prevents sikaflex bonding.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
strip down and repair what you have, as parts are usually available.
Have you seen these people -----

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back