Adria Twin 640 SLB Electrically assisted closing door? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for this Andy, all your replies are much appreciate. I shall have to give it some thought. Re the 22 models, Adria have not released any details yet, as far as I can find out. My dealer does not know & no prices yet. Adria say early July all will be revealed & said,
“Our new season will be launched early July.
There are no scheduled major changes to the Twin range, we just plan to launch additional layouts within the Sports range.

New pricing will be launched in July.”
New EU rules dictate from 22 there has to be more safety things fitted to motor vehicles which seem to be much of the current Fiat Safety Pack, which is £890 at the moment. My dealer was aware of this & suggested the base price would reflect this but had no idea what would happen to the existing safety pack. They were told by their Agents that the electrically assisted door was not available on a UK van, which is clearly not correct, so who knows.

Fiat have done something believed to be a cab & front end facelift for the vans 40th anniversary this year but won’t disclose it yet. I understand there is a new van in Grimsby at the moment at a Fiat dealer but only other dealers are allowed to see it! This is one of the reasons the existing vans are in short supply because they have ceased production in Italy. So I shall wait & learn all soon.
thanks once again
Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Oh! Last one for definite! I couldn’t tell from the video but I assume that stop on the door frame, to prevent it closing fully in one go as a safety measure & allow ventilation, is still there so you close it after passing that point with pulling the door handle. 😜

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
As Blue Knight says, our Sprinter has fully auto door, open from inside by either button on the dash or on the side door pillar or just give the handle a pull which activates the mechanism. From outside button on the key fob or just pull handle and mechanism takes over, it has only got "confused" once when it wouldn't close but there is a "keyhole" on the inside of the door which deactivates the electric mechanism, but the door is bloody heavy to close manually, it was easily fixed by fully opening the door then closing it manually after which auto system worked again. I like it as it reduces the "whoosh bang" effect, though I do worry if the motor has to have work done on it as I guess the mechanism is behind the kitchen units. They do an electrical assist system as well which I guess works as has been previously discussed .
If you want ant photos, let me know and Ill take some for you.

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
On the van I’ve seen which has the soft close door it also has a stopper so when you pull the handle it opens a small amount to give ventilation. To open it fully you have to pull the handle out again & hold it as you slide past a stop on the bottom of the door frame to be able to open it fully. Similarly if you try to close it by just sliding it it catches at that stop and you then have to pull the handle to get past that stop and close the door fully. I’m guessing it stops it from closing fully by about 9”. I think it’s a safety thing to stop the door sliding onto you as well as giving ventilation. 😊

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The soft close system is quite a nice little gimmick (we have it) but based upon the comments on the German PVC forums I always wonder when mine will stop working.

There's quite a few people who start off with a soft close system and then end up with a manual woosh-bang setup at the the 24-36 month point of ownership.

Also, be aware that it has a 3-4 second reset time from when you open it so when it's pi$$ing down outside you can't just open and close the door in a flash of a second, i.e. you have to open the door then allow the mechanism to reset itself before it will accept the latch again for locking.

The list price on my van was c£600 which is a huge chunk of money for something that will break at some point.

Last edited:
May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Sorry royandsharont , understand now.

The door has two open positions, fully open for max airflow and allow the table to be clipped onto the van and half way for normal entry / exit.

There is no other stop on my one.

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Have see the door myself now. You close the door as normal by hand but don’t slam it shut and the electric assist then closes the door for you without any further closing from you. Very quiet & needs the hab power on for it to work. Impressive whisper quiet 😊

Last edited:

Mondo74

Free Member
Jun 24, 2021
Aberdeenshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin On Order
I have an Adria Twin on order , it will be fitted with close assist.
Van has been delayed, I have been advised that it should be here August.
I will let you know how it operates as soon as I can.

Ally

Have you got your van yet Ally? I've ordered a pop top version and have opted for the soft close (in an attempt to not wake kids up at night). Is the close assist all it's cracked up to be?

Another Aberdeenshire Adria customer (to be)

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Mondo74 I’ve not got mine yet but a friend has and the electrical assist is very good and very very quiet compared to normal. I just so happened to try it today and almost closed the door to very gently and the electrics finished it off. Not quite like my fully electric car boot but a very close similarity to the final suck in & close if you are familiar to car boot ones.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
We have soft close on a Globecar
Took a bit of faffing with when we first had the van but has worked well since
Don't know if Adria are using the same kit
Certainly don't need to slam the door
Am l understanding your comments correctly, it appears you fitted an aftermarket market product? If so l would be grateful of a link as to where one could be obtained.Thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back