Adria Twin 640 SLB Electrically assisted closing door? (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
My 2022 model van will have a soft close side door as standard but there is an option to have an electrically assisted closing one at £350. I cannot find any info anywhere about this door or anything like it on a Ducato chassis. No images or details of how it works any additional fitments intruding Into the kitchen area. Whether they are subject to problems & can you close them manually if they go faulty. Do you close them mainly & then the assist takes over. How do you close them internally etc etc The no slam is the big bonus but all the above needs to be considered first. Does anyone have any knowledge. Regards, Roy

Aji

Dec 8, 2017
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Sgx
Exp
Neen
I have an Adria Twin on order , it will be fitted with close assist.
Van has been delayed, I have been advised that it should be here August.
I will let you know how it operates as soon as I can.

Ally

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
That would be much appreciated Ally, will you please message me?
regards Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
We have soft close on a Globecar
Took a bit of faffing with when we first had the van but has worked well since
Don't know if Adria are using the same kit
Certainly don't need to slam the door

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
My 640SLB came with the soft close.

Works with the habitation electrics on and when you pull the door across as it meets the door jam it grabs the trailing end and pulls it closed for you. Means you don’t have to slam shut, it’s just slide and a soft whoosh as the mechanism kicks in.

Is it worth it? Before we got the 640 we hired a Malibu which had an ordinary sliding door. It was a hire van so may have been misused but the door did need a firm pull/slam and there were times we had more than one effort to close. I have no doubt given time we would have got used to the pressure needed.

Not tried to upload videos before but if it’s dry tomorrow I might be able to video it working.

I didn’t have any choice, it was too late to change the specification when I ordered the van, but I’m glad my van has it.

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Realised I didn’t answer your questions

Whether they are subject to problems & can you close them manually if they go faulty. yes

Do you close them mainly & then the assist takes over. yes

How do you close them internally etc etc. just pull the door closed gently and it’ll finish it off for you

The no slam is the big bonus 👍

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Realised I didn’t answer your questions

Whether they are subject to problems & can you close them manually if they go faulty. yes

Do you close them mainly & then the assist takes over. yes

How do you close them internally etc etc. just pull the door closed gently and it’ll finish it off for you

The no slam is the big bonus 👍
Do you know the manufacturer of this system? I've seen one on YouTube that works off the remote key fob, that doesn't need any assistance.

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
No, there is no documentation with the van and you can’t see the mechanism.

Key fob version sounds good but I hope it closes quicker than my car hatchback or you could get very wet in a storm. I’d be reluctant to install an aftermarket one on a new van and void the warranty

Good point on the factory fitted one is that if it fails you just use the door as normal.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Wow! I don’t know how Ive managed thus far without a soft close door! Good luck with it when it goes wrong.

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you Andy MacD your answers are very good in helping me decide. A video would be fantastic if you could do it. I’m guessing you just attach the video file like a photo. That will definitely be the decider. Can you see anything of the mechanism inside the van, I presume it would be in the kitchen area? If not would you email me the video?
regards Roy

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Also, are you saying that if the electrics are not on you just close the door as normal? Also it means the door closes as quick as you want it unlike some fully closing electric doors which is a bonus in the rain. If that’s so then it would never become a problem if it failed 😊

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Also, are you saying that if the electrics are not on you just close the door as normal? If that’s so then it would never become a problem if it failed 😊
Correct

Wow! I don’t know how Ive managed thus far without a soft close door! Good luck with it when it goes wrong.
Haha, wondered how long for the first sarky comment. Assume you also like winding your windows down with a handle and locking your doors with a key 😂🤣😂🤣😂

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Not sarky old boy...dry sense of humour. Enjoy!:LOL:

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
No, there is no documentation with the van and you can’t see the mechanism.

Key fob version sounds good but I hope it closes quicker than my car hatchback or you could get very wet in a storm. I’d be reluctant to install an aftermarket one on a new van and void the warranty

Good point on the factory fitted one is that if it fails you just use the door as normal.
This is the one I saw, it doesn't show if it's manual override.

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
That’s not what’s factory fitted to my 2021 model (manufactured Dec 20) I have a close assist, not a power door.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I looked at a Hymer Grand Canyon with the electric soft close door, at the dealers Tyne valley motorhomes, it was broken, that’s was on a brand new van

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
I looked at a Hymer Grand Canyon with the electric soft close door, at the dealers Tyne valley motorhomes, it was broken, that’s was on a brand new van
Wouldn’t be the first time you see a fault on a new van would it? Also unfortunately product knowledge can sometimes be an issue and staff don’t know how to work kit, in my case knowing it works off hab rather than cab battery.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Wow, some people need to read the original question before answering :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Sorry cant advise on the power assisted door as my van only has the soft close, and it does work fine.
The door is heavy if on a slope but when level can be closed with one finger. The power assist may help the door not flying shut too fast if on a slope.

Sep 22, 2020
Shropshire UK
Funster No
MH
VW California Ocean
Exp
4th MH/Campervan - Getting progressively smaller!
We are also waiting for ours which has this feature,. Ordered in Sep 2020 and due "sometime". I am happy to help with more info once we have it.

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Nothing to see on the inside, mechanism hidden.

Brief video, gave the door a gentle push and as you’ll see the motor pulls it into the catch to lock it shut.

Hope this works, by the way the van is dirty, not scratched as the video may suggest 😀

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Thank you Andy MacD your answers are very good in helping me decide. A video would be fantastic if you could do it. I’m guessing you just attach the video file like a photo. That will definitely be the decider. Can you see anything of the mechanism inside the van, I presume it would be in the kitchen area? If not would you email me the video?
regards Roy
I was replying the this post. I’ve already clarified what my van is fitted with.

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Sometimes I wonder why I bother posting.
Because there are plenty of us out there who really appreciate the effort, time spent freely given and the benefit of getting answers to unknown questions 😊.
Two last ones then, from the video it still seems noisier than what I was expecting. I guess I thought it would be like my very expensive hands free car boot opening and closing extra, which I didn’t order I might add, but have found excellent. Would you say it was noticibly quieter than the manual closing you have on the soft close fitting when the hab electric is off?

Also the hard one now, do you think it is a good option to get at £350 or is the standard soft close pretty good on its own.

Sorry but I have no knowledge of closing side doors except for moaning whilst camped next to one where the owners make no effort to close it quietly, especially when we’re all still in bed. I suppose I was being more conscientious about the noise for others when I am considering adding it. It’s a real pity you are not up in East Yorkshire or down by Henley where we visit as often as we can.
kind regards
Roy

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
My personal experience of using both the closing assistance and normal closing methods is that I would rather gently pull the door closed and have the sound of the closer than the clang of a sliding door shutting. SWMBO often took a few goes at it when inside the van and I feared for the longevity of the rubber door handle. You also have more control if the van is parked on a slope for whatever reason.

From what others have posted there now seems to be an option for a fully powered open / close which I have no knowledge of. Reading posts I get the impression that they say in 2022 vans the closing assistance I have is being made standard and the option is for fully powered. I have no idea if that is correct, I have not looked at the 2022 spec and have no desire to do so.

For clarity the assistance I have is option MZ2111 “sliding door closing assistance” which cost £350.

In summary I am glad my van was pre spec’d with the close assist, that said I doubt I’d bother with a fully powered door.

Finally I would stress this is my personal opinion. Others would call it their “truth” meaning no one can criticise or disagree 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back