Adding water chemicals (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
I have an Elddis Majestic 125. I can't find any easy way to add the freshwater tank water chemicals. Pouring down the filler cap results in most of the chemicals being lost. Is there a special gadget for this? I did try putting the chemicals in an plastic bottle and adding water before pouring in the filler cap but this resulted in the alarming production of some sort gas filling the bottle (chlorine perhaps?).

Help welcome!

Richard

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
DON'T PUT ANY CHLORINE BASED CHEMICALS IN THE FRESH WATER SYSTEM. It attacks stainless steel and will damage the water boiler. The reaction when you tried to fill using a plastic bottle should give you enough warning. And you'll never get the taste out.

Anyway, why do you want to add chemicals, do you have a problem with your fresh water? There have been numerous threads about this and of course lots of different opinions. For what it's worth we drain and flush the freshwater tank just before starting a trip, the additives to the general UK water supply should take care of anything, and in 8 years have never had a problem. We do take a little more care refilling abroad but even in Morocco have had no ill effects. As a precaution though we tend not to drink from the tank directly, using bottled water for drinks (boiling tank water for hot drinks is okay). Bottled water is cheap if you buy it in 5 litre containers (I keep a couple of empty ones to help me refill the tank on sites with taps that are too far away).

As for chemicals, once a year I introduce a measure of Milton to a full tank of water (through the access hatch if you can't get it through the filler), let it stand for half an hour then empty it through the boiler into the waste tank where it stays for 24 hours. I then flush the whole system a couple of times with fresh. Someone will come on shortly to say Milton is a mild form of bleach but it's only in the system a short period so I'm not worried.

Upvote 0

Frazzle

Free Member
Mar 29, 2017
maidstone kent
Funster No
MH
09 AutoSleeper Berkshire
Exp
im a newbie
I have just cleaned my tank with a Elsan product i put it in watering can tipped in that way then filled up with hose pipe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
g3cwi
Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks folks, good advice I think. The chemical was Aquasol - does not appear to be chlorine based (no idea what the gas was). I have not been able to open the access hatch for the tank - hence my interest in adding chemicals by the filler.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Why add chemicals to the water ? Water companies already do that for you
In practice we only put a couple in about every third fill up , not dear and don't taste so just a bit of a safeguard and should keep it all ok if someone was not compleatly carefull at one of the taps, agree probably don't need to though.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thanks folks, good advice I think. The chemical was Aquasol - does not appear to be chlorine based (no idea what the gas was). I have not been able to open the access hatch for the tank - hence my interest in adding chemicals by the filler.

These are what you need just chuck a couple in every now and again
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=282175239377&globalID=EBAY-GB
still chlorine based.

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/010A Aqua Clean Tabs MSDS.pdf

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back