Adding additional 12v sockets to existing Cigarette lighter feed. (1 Viewer)

Plinky

Free Member
Dec 21, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia James Cook 2004
Exp
I currently have a single 12v cigarette style socket running off of the leisure batterys in my van. Even with adapters Its not enough and I need another preferably in a more descreet location for charging phones etc. I checked the wiring , and the thickest cable in the right area seems to be the existing feed to the original 12v socket. The only other wires in that area are feeds to the halogen(now led) kitchen lights. Is it ok to take the feed from the same cable and then run it to both the original and new socket? The new one has a 10amp fuse in line. Thanks for any help.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I wired one of these into the lighting circuit (10amp)
upload_2016-2-9_21-15-47.png

Can't see a problem if you have LEDs, even if the USB is pulling 3amps, it'll still be less than the old halogen bulbs.
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
P

Plinky

Free Member
Dec 21, 2015
UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia James Cook 2004
Exp
Yes they look good. I have actually made a switched (on/ off) box that contains a double socket unit consisting of:

A) a double usb
B) a normal cigarette style socket.
see pic below.

Both are wired in parallel and individually fused. I want to place it in a location nearer to my bed and out of sight so i can charge my phone and computer at night in a more secure location.
Its my computer charger that uses the most power, 11-12v at max 10a.
I've have used it successfully over the last few months without any problems in
the original socket.
I'm not keen on the extension boxes that plug into the original sockets because i like things to look more discreet. This way i can hide the entire installation.
Its the wiring side of things I'm concerned about, I don't want to overload any existing circuit. The alternative is to take a feed direct from the leisure battery, which is actually quite easy for me to do at the moment as I'm laying new solar cable anyway, i could just follow the same route.

Thanks
IMG_2758.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back