Adblue? Any issues? (1 Viewer)

Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since nearly all vans now use adblue, has anyone had problems with it?

Equally any advantages with it, apart from emissions, not that I can think of any!

Thank you in advance.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have been using AdBlue for nearly 4 years now and have not had any problems.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's advantage is that it is injected downstream of the engine so cannot have any effect on power output, longevity, engine sensors, etc. In most cases it can replace EGR which is the opposite in terms of power output, engine sensors, etc. The only downsides are the inconvenience of yet another fluid to keep an eye on and life of the associated cat.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Slimalex
Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
It's advantage is that it is injected downstream of the engine so cannot have any effect on power output, longevity, engine sensors, etc. In most cases it can replace EGR which is the opposite in terms of power output, engine sensors, etc. The only downsides are the inconvenience of yet another fluid to keep an eye on and life of the associated cat.

Thank you.

OP
OP
Slimalex
Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
I have been using AdBlue for nearly 4 years now and have not had any problems.

Thank, that is reassuring, what engine do you have and is regular use a factor?

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I had a 3 litre merc. Used 10 litres addblue for 3500 miles.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Higher mileages involved - but plenty of problems with adblue in HGV's. A quick google will enlighten you but corrosion in the tanks, and nox sensors seem to be common. Even looking in the neck of the tank of a few year old one and you will see a crusty build up. The issues manifest them by unreliable tank status readings and - more annoyingly limp mode.

IMHO its the EU's unrealistic rush that have forced manufacturers to adopt adblue and I strongly suspect we will look back and wonder why we ever let them do it.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Thank, that is reassuring, what engine do you have and is regular use a factor?
The engine is Mercedes 316 CDI 2.2l 163ps. Like many motorhomes it stood idle for weeks in the winter. I don’t think regular use is any more of an issue with AdBlue than with other diesel engines but I am not an expert. I am taking delivery of a new motorhome tomorrow which does not have AdBlue but relies on EGR. If anything I suspect I will need to make sure the EGR system gets properly exercised more than the AdBlue one did.

From time to time I would check the AdBlue gauge and when it got a bit below half I would tip in another container of AdBlue. On my A class the filler was a bit awkward but not impossible, not that much different from topping up the screen washers though perhaps I was a bit more careful not to splash it around.

OP
OP
Slimalex
Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
The engine is Mercedes 316 CDI 2.2l 163ps. Like many motorhomes it stood idle for weeks in the winter. I don’t think regular use is any more of an issue with AdBlue than with other diesel engines but I am not an expert. I am taking delivery of a new motorhome tomorrow which does not have AdBlue but relies on EGR. If anything I suspect I will need to make sure the EGR system gets properly exercised more than the AdBlue one did.

From time to time I would check the AdBlue gauge and when it got a bit below half I would tip in another container of AdBlue. On my A class the filler was a bit awkward but not impossible, not that much different from topping up the screen washers though perhaps I was a bit more careful not to splash it around.

Thank you, what is the make of the new van?

OP
OP
Slimalex
Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Higher mileages involved - but plenty of problems with adblue in HGV's. A quick google will enlighten you but corrosion in the tanks, and nox sensors seem to be common. Even looking in the neck of the tank of a few year old one and you will see a crusty build up. The issues manifest them by unreliable tank status readings and - more annoyingly limp mode.

IMHO its the EU's unrealistic rush that have forced manufacturers to adopt adblue and I strongly suspect we will look back and wonder why we ever let them do it.

I’ve spoken to a friend who operates Hgv and he has occasional problems, but wonders whether non use of adblue still causes soot build up somewhere in engine life. He suffers mostly from sensor failure but the vehicles are doing 100km pa. it is interesting that all manufacturers except Man and Iveco seem to use it, but no one is able to state whether sensor failure is similar with the latter group.
I want to buy a new van but all seem to be adblue from 2020. I want to be sure with such a long term investment, but don’t have any certainty either way. Members on this forum are a good measure though.?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Thank you, what is the make of the new van?
The new one is a Carthago on a Fiat chassis. Possibly one of the last to come off the production line before the new Fiat ones come out with AdBlue.

Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp

Retired now but got mates still in trade and say that adblue problems are now a regular thing now. Just something else to go wrong.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I want to buy a new van but all seem to be adblue from 2020.
You might get a good deal on a 2019 model from a dealers stock. They are rumoured to trying hard to shift old stock before Euro6D becomes mandatory. I believe the derogation that will still allow some older engines to be registered is limited.

OP
OP
Slimalex
Apr 24, 2019
Solihull
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
In my last Motorhome there was a diesel heater. Because it was summer I didn’t use it. When I did come to use it, it wouldn’t work. No doubt if one googled faults on diesel heaters, one would find the same. Equally Fiat a while ago had a ‘juddergate’ issue. I’m beginning to wonder if adblue is just another one of those things to go wrong.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
As tonyidle mentioned, it's all downstream of the combustion and all in the exhaust, so it's a relatively simple system. There's less to go wrong than with Exhaust Gas Re-circulation systems. The problems with AdBlue are mainly related to sensors, but there were sensors in the EGR system too. Before EGR, people had issues with particulate traps and cats. I don't think AdBlue is any worse reliability wise than prior emissions technologies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back