A701 (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Sat-nav put me on this road earlier today for some reason. I was heading up from visiting family in Gloucester to Edinburgh and I came off the motorway at Moffat and followed this road all the way through to Bonnyrigg.

This road has so much potential. Outstanding scenery, loads of little twists and turn, dips and dives. You enter the Scottish Borders on this road and the source of the River Tweed can be found here.

Just one little problem - the outrageous state of the road. Pot holes through-out, bits of road patched up with other bits of road, the verge crumbling away in lots of places and when you fancy a break from dodging said pot holes you will be pressed to find a lay-by that wouldn't be risking your suspension collapsing.

As much as I enjoyed my time South of the border it's always good getting back to Scotland but I couldn't help being a bit disappointed at this disgrace of a road. Like I say it has the potential to be a tourist magnet (and to be honest it probably is at the minute to a certain extent) but so much more could be done. I notice a boarded up hotel 'The Crook' I think it was and thought what a lovely place that could be with a few places set a side round the back with electric hook-up. Anyone fancy chipping in? :LOL:

Anyone been on this road before?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Try the B7078 from the roundabout opposite Gretna Services. It's the old road to Glasgow before the motorway was built. It's still in good condition and (if it matters) can be as quick as the motorway but pretty well traffic-free.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.

Yes, it's better than the A708 :)

It is a real shame about The Crook, so much that could be done. I wonder what the problems are - structural, planning or management?

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base

It is a real shame about The Crook, so much that could be done. I wonder what the problems are - structural, planning or management?

It is a real shame. I like those kind of Inn's in the middle of nowhere. For me driving on that road for the first time it felt like I was in the complete wilderness, got a sense of comfort when I turned the corner and spotted the hotel until I figured out it was boarded up. The kind of place I would stop for a meal just because it is there.

Not sure what problems they have encountered, could be a cracking little business for someone with the right ideas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
The Crook in along with other inns that depend on people driving to and passing trade are very hard to make a living from.
I think previous owner wanted to converts to flats
Exception around here is Gordon Arms between Selkirk and Moffat on A708 and they only open Friday to Sunday outwith the summer
Well worth a visit but as well to book if you are after evening meal

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
The Crook in along with other inns that depend on people driving to and passing trade are very hard to make a living from.
I think previous owner wanted to converts to flats
Exception around here is Gordon Arms between Selkirk and Moffat on A708 and they only open Friday to Sunday outwith the summer
Well worth a visit but as well to book if you are after evening meal

I did think that if someone had bought the Inn they would have to be putting some serious pressure on the council to get that road sorted out as their business would be depending on it.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Sat-nav put me on this road earlier today for some reason. I was heading up from visiting family in Gloucester to Edinburgh and I came off the motorway at Moffat and followed this road all the way through to Bonnyrigg.

This road has so much potential. Outstanding scenery, loads of little twists and turn, dips and dives. You enter the Scottish Borders on this road and the source of the River Tweed can be found here.

Just one little problem - the outrageous state of the road. Pot holes through-out, bits of road patched up with other bits of road, the verge crumbling away in lots of places and when you fancy a break from dodging said pot holes you will be pressed to find a lay-by that wouldn't be risking your suspension collapsing.

As much as I enjoyed my time South of the border it's always good getting back to Scotland but I couldn't help being a bit disappointed at this disgrace of a road. Like I say it has the potential to be a tourist magnet (and to be honest it probably is at the minute to a certain extent) but so much more could be done. I notice a boarded up hotel 'The Crook' I think it was and thought what a lovely place that could be with a few places set a side round the back with electric hook-up. Anyone fancy chipping in? :LOL:

Been up and down quite a few times, certainly not the fast road but as you say great scenery including the Devils Beeftub where the Reivers would hide recently liberated cattle

LadyBea

Free Member
Jan 17, 2010
Dumfries &Galloway
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
since 1994
Try the B7078 from the roundabout opposite Gretna Services. It's the old road to Glasgow before the motorway was built. It's still in good condition and (if it matters) can be as quick as the motorway but pretty well traffic-free.
If anyone is trying to find this road it's the B7076 not as quoted,
sorry

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

If anyone is trying to find this road it's the B7076 not as quoted,
sorry

From memory, I think that both of those roads run along side the motorway.

They won’t be as quick as the motorway if you’re in a motorhome (too many roundabouts) but it is every bit as quick on a motorbike - more fun too! :whistle:

Ian

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Welcome to Scotland, and our roads. Never been the same since transport was devolved. The A701 is a lovely drive but it'll shake your teeth out. Try leaving the M74 at Abington Services and taking the Biggar road to Edinburgh, it's in better nick.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Welcome to Scotland, and our roads. Never been the same since transport was devolved. The A701 is a lovely drive but it'll shake your teeth out. Try leaving the M74 at Abington Services and taking the Biggar road to Edinburgh, it's in better nick.

I reckon my Sat-nav picked up traffic on the main road so sent me on this detour. I wasn't pressed for time or desperate to get home so I enjoyed the drive apart from the state of the road. Just couldn't believe that it hasn't been fixed on such a beautiful journey with such potential.

Moonchild

Free Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
B7078 - known as the Race Strip from my motorbiking days :whistle:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Been up and down quite a few times, certainly not the fast road but as you say great scenery including the Devils Beeftub where the Reivers would hide recently liberated cattle
Now I know why the road number rang a distant bell with me, we used the road for Police Advanced Driver Training back in the day. It was your mention of the Devil's Beeftub that made the penny drop (y)

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015

Wife sh@t herself on that road last year. We drove from Beadnell to Moffat on the scenic route :D. Not a lot if room, breath in :ROFLMAO:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Wife sh@t herself on that road last year. We drove from Beadnell to Moffat on the scenic route :D. Not a lot if room, breath in :ROFLMAO:

Yep the A708 isn't the best, especially since the edges have crumbled even more over the winter ...... A701 much easier.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Was on this road again yesterday. I see they have resurfaced the worst part at the Moffat side.

Power to the people!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back