"A Year in Spain" My "last gasp" attempt at posting (informative info). (2 Viewers)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Today dawned with a lovely sunrise, but it soon clouded over. The wind had dropped though. Martin and I were going to ride together, but when Kay was joining us, Martin decided to have today off in preference to ride on a warmer day tomorrow. He was happy I'd have support just in case my wheel threw a wobbly.

So Kay and I joined a dog search group. A white Chihuahua, trailing a black lead, went missing a day or so ago from Camposol. We rode from here to Camposol, through the area it had last been spotted. Needless to say we didn't see it, and neither have any of the other searchers. Such a tiny dog is never going to be easy to spot.

I'm now beginning to plan our summer trip. We have the "Pirinexus by bike" multi day route in mind for, maybe the end of June, after a few weeks in Cataluña, maybe near our old haunts of Prades. I've now got to find a suitable place to leave the van for 7 days, and maybe I've found somewhere at Olot. Recommendations gratefully received.

This thread should have finished before our summer trip, but I'll keep it going if it's of any interest. A Year and a bit in Spain, maybe 🙂
Currently parked up at Esteve. Reckon off season you coul leave at this Aire (I know it's a bit naughty)
Going into Olot today or tomorrow

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Currently parked up at Esteve. Reckon off season you coul leave at this Aire (I know it's a bit naughty)
Going into Olot today or tomorrow

Blimey, you have saved some posts, haven't you. Just seen the post I made on the morning thread in September 2021, about being parked at Olot. I hardly remember being there 😄

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Anyway. I'd picked a route and WhatsApp'd it to Martin, so today that's the route we took. Easy ?! not particularly easy, but well within our capabilities.

View attachment 877264
View attachment 877267
View attachment 877268View attachment 877269
View attachment 877265

We arrived back to the van, safely, but decided to pack up and drive to the El Bonillo motorhome area. If we get the forecast rain tomorrow, the surface here is better for driving on. We have one, Italian, neighbour.

View attachment 877266

(We were last here on the last day of our 6 day Don Quixote ride last year. We'd stopped, and eaten in the square. Sandwiches only, but delicious all the same. Martin, David and Kay then zoomed off, leaving me stranded with a bike that didn't want to start!

It was absolutely ages before they stopped and came to look for me 😭😭😭.)

All in the past. Tomorrow is another day, and I have some routes in mind that we can do before the, alleged, rain comes.

How else, other than bikes, can we get to explore parts of Spain (and anywhere, really) that others don't get to see?
The Ajuntamiento (Town Hall) have simplified the procedure to enter the Camperstop....although I opted for the previous method, I called the number on the gate...the very pleasant guy on the other end of the call, told me to follow the instructions on the new poster....I thanked him and read away....used the QR code...sent eMail and in return received my gate code....what could be simpler...well nothing actually.... however recent P4N reviews were quite annoying...stating the guy only speaks Spanish....well wouldn't you just expect that to be the case ..being in Spain...
For non QR code trained personal, an eMail address was also posted.....but being armed with the very latest gadgetry...a Smartphone with lots of Apps installed...why not put them to the test....so I did.....😐🇪🇦👍☀️

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
It's comforting to know that there are parts of Spain that, even though they give three nights of free parking, with full facilities, including free electricity, are still available to us without queuing.

As much as we'd like to go to some popular places, the hassle isn't worth it.

We can always find something/somewhere of interest to ride or visit. Long may it last.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're forecast rain from tomorrow early afternoon, so we'll get out for a short ride early.

We didn't fancy the under wheel terrain at the last place in the wet. This one is much cleaner, with a good gravel base.

We have one neighbour, and, surprise, they are Italian (or the motorhome registration is anyway).

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've had a short, but perfectly formed ride. A short stretch on a newly surfaced road and we saw our first vehicle of the day. A Brit registered motorhome, no less.

We had a lovely section alongside the bottom of a long valley, where we watched lots of Red Kites.

The sun is shining now 😂, but so far we don't have the Sahara dust that they've got back home.

DSCN8163~2.JPG
DSCN8166~2.JPG
DSCN8164~2.JPG
DSCN8169~2.JPG

Windmill at El Bonillo.

Town Hall
DSCN3195~2.JPG

And Church.
DSCN3194~2-01.jpeg

The latter two were taken last year.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Bullrings are good buildings ..... for sheltering behind when it's blowing a hoolie. We've had to move across the parking area to shelter. We're going to do some shopping here and then drive back down to the via verde parking which should be more sheltered. On the forecast is 15km less down there than here.

We are supposed to be meeting Funster friends there. I hope they have a safe drive if they decide to set off today 🍀🍀🤞🤞

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The wind isn't so bad down at the via verde parking. We'd just arrived when a couple rode in on bikes with travel bags. They turned out to be Brits, now living in NZ, and taking two years out to tour Europe (the 90 days affect them as well).

We gave them coffee and biscuits and they gave us their blog details.

Not long afterwards our Funster friends arrived and we strolled to the village for a pleasant lunch. We're relaxing in our own vans before we have another catch up later.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be a good day to go for a ride 🤞🤞

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We stuck to our plan. Apparently the route was hilly, and the wind didn't help. (We don't noticed such things when riding ebikes). Anyway, I think we all enjoyed ourselves today.

The Sanctuario was quiet, except for two nuns reading the rosary (I think that's what Carolyn said) with a microphone and it was transmitted all around.

Carolyn lit a candle for her mum, and placed it in a good spot.

One of the tunnels was still dark, even though it was supposed to be lit. I pressed the button, but nothing!

We've had lunch sitting at one of the picnic benches and are now relaxing in our respective vans, although the Spanish kids that have just tumbled out of a newly arrived van, are quite noisy right now 🤣🤣

DSCN8182~2.JPG
DSCN8187~2.JPG
DSCN8178~2.JPG
Screenshot_20240322_182052_Photos.jpg
DSCN8186~2.JPG
DSCN8194~2.JPG
DSCN8188~2.JPG

DSCN8195~2.JPG

We have a shorter ride planned for tomorrow. Then, who knows?

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Today has been dull, but warm.

We set off with Chris and Carolyn on a modified ride that we did on our first day here.

The big, barking, dog, (that wasn't affected by our dog daser), that we met then, was today, back inside the gates. Luckily for us.

We were amazed by the amount of Rosemary flowers, and then by the meadows of wild rocket.

We didn’t forage any though. Our meal was already in hand.

The non ebike riders were stars, and rode everything we took them on, and, I'm hoping, enjoyed their time with us here.

The weather from tomorrow morning, in most of Spain, is going to take a turn to the "wet". We can't complain. We need some rain, even if we don’t want to suffer it. So our Chris and Carolyn may be "about turning" and following us back to Murcia, where we may be able to have even more days together.

That would be lovely 🥰🥰

But, today ...

A mix of my photos, and ones sent from Carolyn.

DSCN8204~2.JPG
Screenshot_20240323_165929_Messenger~2.jpg
Screenshot_20240323_165842_Messenger~2.jpg
DSCN8203~2.JPG
DSCN8202~2.JPG
DSCN8196~2.JPG
DSCN8206~2.JPG
DSCN8199~2.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've come home because the weather forecast isn't too good. It's been very grey all day, and now it's getting windy. Chris and Carolyn have also about turned and come back to Los Olivos. We hope to see them again a few times before they have to re-head north. They're invited here for lunch one day, so that doesn't depend on the weather.

I'm now in the throes of planning another multi day Don Quixote route. We're thinking of paying, and leaving, the van on one of the gated motorhome areas in that region, and having a four day or so ride.

Finding reasonable accommodation at the end of each day is the challenge. The riding is the same.

I think I'm getting a plan together ....

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil
We (jumar and myself) live in Spain. We now have a "bolthole" apartment, twixt the mountains of Sierra Espuña and the med coast of Puerto Mazarron.

But ... we still have many motorhoming trips away. Local(ish) in autumn/winter/spring, and in the summer months, further afield.

In the summer I often start a thread, but, I soon give up, due to lack of inerest, maybe? to people being away on their own summer trips, and not needing info of places to go. Any other reasons, please say!

So ... I'm happy, and willing to post, a "Year in Spain" (with maybe a dip over the borders into France and Portugal).

Any interest, starting from now onwards??
Me - too - I also read a lot, but don't comment much.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We loved our trip up to the Don Quixote region as recommended by Judith and Martin.

Robledo was a great spot to spend some time with friends and we would have liked to explore further. The weather put a stop to it on this trip but its an area we will definitely visit again and hopefully stay longer (y)
97DBC877-E9B8-48B3-9146-CC964354925E.jpeg

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We loved our trip up to the Don Quixote region as recommended by Judith and Martin.

Robledo was a great spot to spend some time with friends and we would have liked to explore further. The weather put a stop to it on this trip but its an area we will definitely visit again and hopefully stay longer (y)
View attachment 878992
Well now tucked up in our apartment, MH put to bed for now....bikes covered up and resting..the rain has arrived which will make the Easter celebrations more difficult for the parades and the crowds that turn out in their thousands...

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Just checking in here. We've had two days of biking inactivity, although we've got lots of other bits done already.

A few deliveries have arrived, and been put to the use they were ordered for. We're awaiting a call to go to spend a few €€€€ on two new tyres for the motorhome.

The camera I originally wanted went back down in price, so it's been reordered. The next day it was back to the higher price. Will it arrive??? We'll have to wait and see.

The motor for my blue bike is packaged up, awaiting a courier to collect it to take it to Barcelona to get the bearings replaced. Martin was going to attempt it, but their price to do it wasn't worth the risk.

Chris and Carolyn are coming to visit us tomorrow, and to stay for lunch. Maybe on Thursday we might get the chance to get out on the bikes together?

I'm planning a four day bike ride. Another in Don Quijote Country. Possible ets mid April.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
You can see why we decided to come home. This is at Nerpio, not far from the Murcian border with Andalucia, and between here and where we were!

Screenshot_20240327_102315_Chrome~2.jpg

In sunnier times there's a lovely river walk.

original_288d43bb-83ae-4154-a8e0-771377611a7c_01004833.jpg
original_b66b5f3b-b3f8-434b-8e32-333475664add_01004844.jpg
original_92d96935-992f-4a17-a569-9d57bdf4bc54_01004875.jpg
01004896.jpg

And even an "Open all Hours" shop.
original_86bc691e-3a80-4e26-bbfd-fed534b28883_01004917.jpg

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We've had some good days back at base, much better weather than a lot of Spain has had.

It has been windy, but, apart from Wednesday, when Chris and Carolyn came to visit, it's not been too bad to ride.

I rode alone yesterday, because Martin had modified his bike's back tyre, and in the morning it had gone flat. It needed to go to the garage for good air pressure to seat the bead.

I had a pleasant, local ride, and picked up a few windfallen lemons.

DSCN8209~2.JPG

The blossom is now on the trees and is making a very heady aroma.

DSCN8210~2.JPG
DSCN8212~2.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Our friend David left yesterday to go to the Spanish Orienteering Championships held, this year, near Ciudad Real. Not far from where we were last week. Today, he's on his way back, the whole competition has been abandoned. We made the right decision.

Today we took the bikes on the back of the car to Corvera, the town near our local airport. We rode a route we've done many times before and it's changed in character since our last time.

Some bits have been managed and graded, but other parts are now much more difficult (loose rocks and gravel).

Anyway, I was happy, riding my FULL suspension replacement bike 🤣🤣

DSCN8214~2.JPG
DSCN8216~2.JPG
DSCN8222~2.JPG

The necessary stop to speak to a (shy) dog.
DSCN8224~2.JPG

DSCN8225~2.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Sorry, but, I have read you wrote that before, but I cannot really understand what is that about?
Is something you do when arriving here?
What does it consist off?
:unsure:

Google "orientacion españa". It's a sport where you run a course set in a forest, or other terrain, and you follow it on a map, with a compass (brújula). You choose your own way of getting between checkpoints and the fastest time wins.

We took part in many competitions, first in the UK and then when we came to Spain for winters and then stayed for longer. We joined the National Federation and a local, club (Totana), and had some great times with our club mates (we still see many of them) and working in the admin of our yearly national event. We even took some of them, in their motorhomes, to competitions in Scotland and the English Lake District.

Martin had a bad accident at a competition near Soria, and that was the beginning of the end of our participation.

It's a great sport though, for all ages.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Google "orientacion españa". It's a sport where you run a course set in a forest, or other terrain, and you follow it on a map, with a compass (brújula). You choose your own way of getting between checkpoints and the fastest time wins.

We took part in many competitions, first in the UK and then when we came to Spain for winters and then stayed for longer. We joined the National Federation and a local, club (Totana), and had some great times with our club mates (we still see many of them) and working in the admin of our yearly national event. We even took some of them, in their motorhomes, to competitions in Scotland and the English Lake District.

Martin had a bad accident at a competition near Soria, and that was the beginning of the end of our participation.

It's a great sport though, for all ages.
Ok, so it's more or less what I thought I understood (y)
I remember the bad accident, you talked about earlier.
The orientation thing sounds really interesting. Thanks for the explanation.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
It's been mixed weather here. Yesterday I had to go to buy some food. Shopping isn't on my favourite list. We have food for quite some time now, and today, another unsettled day, we've been doing some "motorhome food" cooking.

I fed the cats yesterday, and I'm on the schedule for tomorrow, and Tuesday, morning and then, maybe, we're away again. We're being held up by my blue bike, motor collection, and I'm also needing to meet a Funster packet delivery before we can go away. Phil Scout has kindly sent dog collars and other goodies kindly transported by rb62 to go on sale to raise money for the animals here.

Whilst I'm waiting for better weather, I've been researching a few days bike ride. Another in Don Quiojte country. We're hoping to leave the van on one of the fenced, paid, areas. Our concern, atm, is that, as they've just had torrential rain (as experienced by our friend David, at the orienteering) , unless we wait for quite some time, we may find mud and puddles.

Anyway. Route planning has been done. Start time to be announced.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Today, as we're still waiting for news from the bike motor company based near Barcelona, we decided to go down to the coast and ride the marked mountain bike route no. 1.

We've ridden it before and it's a good 40km+ of coastal, mountain and dry? riverbed riding.

I didn't take coastal photos because I've done them all before, but I took some on the mountain section, and a couple on the river bed bit.

Towards the end of the route we joined the via verde as it passes the Mazarron mines, before arriving back at our parking spot at the Erosions and sea views.

DSCN8229~2.JPG
DSCN8227~2.JPG
DSCN8231~2.JPG
DSCN8233~2.JPG
DSCN8235~2.JPG
DSCN8234~2.JPG
DSCN8240~2.JPG
DSCN8239~2.JPG
DSCN8238~2.JPG

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
So, this morning we got the van ready to roll. Got some washing done and dried, and even cooked today's lunch to bring with us.

We're now back at Velez Rubio where, on Thursday, we're meeting up with Funster rb62 who has very kindly brought a box of assorted items, dog collars are some, from Funster Scout . It's taken quite some time to ferry this parcel to Spain, Covid got in the way, but on Thursday I should take possession of it. It's going to one, or more, of the animal charities in and around our Complex to raise funds from items sold.

Thanks to both Richard and Phil 👍💕💕👍.

There were 7 motorhomes here when we arrived and, not including us, another three have arrived. The official places are now almost full. There's acres of unofficial space though.

We went for the end spot.
DSCN8242~2.JPG

DSCN8243~2.JPG
DSCN8244~2.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread