A wasp was flying along at 10 mph when........ (1 Viewer)

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
If you have a helium filled balloon in your car and you brake hard does the balloon move forwards.

There are. The air within the vehicle has mass and therefor momentum. It will move forwards to displace the less dense balloon. The visible effect will be the balloon moving towards the rear.

Wot e Z! 👍

Ian

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
So, because we can’t hear ultrasound is does not exist? If we can’t see infrared it does not exist?
I dont know, but id say they both use tools so they can be seen . Eardrums are tools. are they sound until tools are used?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Three women pensioners go to a shop and purchase a secondhand television for £30 (£10 each).
When they get home, the proprietor realises he has overcharged them £5. He tells his engineer who is going to install the set to return the £5 to the ladies.
The engineer decides it was too difficult to divide £5 by three, therefore, pockets £2 and returns £1 to each lady.

Cost of TV: 3 x £9 = £27
£2 pocketed by engineer = £ 2
Total = £29

The ladies handed over £30, where's the 'missing' £1?

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Three women pensioners go to a shop and purchase a secondhand television for £30 (£10 each).
When they get home, the proprietor realises he has overcharged them £5. He tells his engineer who is going to install the set to return the £5 to the ladies.
The engineer decides it was too difficult to divide £5 by three, therefore, pockets £2 and returns £1 to each lady.

Cost of TV: 3 x £9 = £27
£2 pocketed by engineer = £ 2
Total = £29

The ladies handed over £30, where's the 'missing' £1?
25 is in the till. 2 in his pocket and 3 with the ladies. Equals 30.

They paid 27. 25 in till, 2 in his pocket. No missing pound

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If that tree that was felled in the forest by a lumberjack landed, and we cant prove it made it noise because the lumberjack was deaf, would he now be allowed an opinion because there is no woman present ? :unsure:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If a swarm of bees is in the back of the car and as you are travelling along the box opens releasing all the bees to wonder around inside the car, they will go to the inside of the back window. It is only when you start to decelerate that the bees will wonder forward and scare the living daylights out of you.

Just dont brake if you ever have an escaped swarm of bees in your car

If that aint worth your 15 quid subscription ....... :unsure:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I've gone brain dead. :unsure:. I love stuff like this. You lot are so clever.. but I lie awake at night trying to work it out!!!
Just break it down Joy, if two trains the same weight collide they both stop, if a train hits a truck there will be a bump and the truck will stop but the train will carry on so why should the wasp be any different? It’s just the bump is imperceptible.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
They both stopped on impact for a fraction of a nano-second.
Stands to reason, if the fly stopped so did the train
You’re getting speed and velocity mixed up. Speed is a scalar quantity and only has magnitude. Velocity is a vector quantity and so has magnitude and direction.

The wasp changed direction and so its velocity went from one direction to the exact opposite and had to go through zero (for a tiny amount of time) to get there. The train didn’t change direction and so it’s speed reduced by a tiny amount at impact with the wasp, but didn’t get anywhere near zero.

:giggle::giggle::giggle:

Grummyb

Free Member
Dec 31, 2020
Corby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since about 2013
I bet the wasps arse didnt stop

Feb 22, 2020
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E582
Exp
2011, 11.6m cruiser on Thames for 5 years before
but it isnt sound until the wave reaches an eardrum and is turned into audio ?

OR IS IT !!!!!!
The sound is related to the action of the tree falling, not the hearing of it. Thank you Jean Paul.

Deleted User
The sound of the tree falling creates vibrations in a wave form- similar to the waves when something is dropped in water The transfer of sound is a mechanical process where the molecules in the atmosphere bump against each other to transfer the energy out from the source. Once created, loose description, the energy is present even if there are no humans to receive the waves to turn it into sound. No atmosphere in space means no sound transfer. Good vacuum sealed double glazed units means better sound proofing.
Note, energy cannot be created only converted, all the energy we can use is already in the universe, in the tree case it's converted from the energy of the tree falling.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If I drain my grey tank of its stinking water in the middle of the night when it is raining hard and then the sun comes up first thing in the morning and dries everything up, will all those Funsters still get their knickers in a twist? :whistle2:

JJ :cool:

Sep 9, 2020
Deepest Lancashire
Funster No
MH
One day hopefully
nuts.jpg Enough! Let me back in!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun