A Question re Worming Tablets (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Our lurcher, who'll eat anything anytime, and frequently does, hates the so called beef flavored Drontal tablets we normally use. We've tried everything including wrapping them in cheese, pate etc., physically pushing them to the back of her throat and holding her mouth closed , and mixing them with her kibble. She can take a large lump of cheese hold her mouth closed, and she'll regurgitate the tablet without the cheese about a minute late.Broken Link Removed

Has anyone any other ideas, or is there another worming tablet that is acceptable to the Pet Passport Scheme we could try? We neeed to order some more for the end of the month.

Malcolm

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I too have a dog who is anti tablet.

Sadly, for you both, you need to get the tablet past the back of her throat before it will go down. I favour a flanker side attack approach going in at the side of the mouth nearest the back of the throat and do it all in one very quick movement before the dog has a chance to react. I hold it between tow fingers snd once it's at the back of the throat I use my idea finger to push it down.

I think wash my hands thoroughly. :)

I also get the tablet out well before I need it in order to cut down on stress. I make sure he doesn't see me do it, leave it somewhere handy and then, pick my moment.

Dogs eh? Good luck.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I too have a dog who is anti tablet.

Sadly, for you both, you need to get the tablet past the back of her throat before it will go down. I favour a flanker side attack approach going in at the side of the mouth nearest the back of the throat and do it all in one very quick movement before the dog has a chance to react. I hold it between tow fingers snd once it's at the back of the throat I use my idea finger to push it down.

I think wash my hands thoroughly. :)

I also get the tablet out well before I need it in order to cut down on stress. I make sure he doesn't see me do it, leave it somewhere handy and then, pick my moment.

Dogs eh? Good luck.
Best tip? Practice on a cat - all dogs are easy after that :D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dan and Jan

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 16, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Between Vans
Exp
On and off since 2000
I'm lucky to have 2 Springers who would eat the packaging as well if I gave them the chance, Drontal tablets they don't even notice.

Good luck.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I know the problem, with our dog I need to push the tablet over the back of his tongue with my thumb.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Just let any French vet administer it, I bet they get it down.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
@JackieP has the best approach, we tried all the deception tricks but none worked.
So, get your fingers in those jaws !
The vet in France did have a pretty good technique based on Jackie p method

Aug 31, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2008
Our old dog will eat most anything, but not so keen on the Drontal tablets, we now break it up small or crush it, then mix with teaspoon of peanut butter.
The peanut butter is sticky and we find once it's in her mouth it's swallowed.
Also agree French Vets seem to have a knack, but we have found the tablet spat out on the table when the vet turned her back,( we took it away and administered it later.)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Try Milbemax, which are a chewable tablet. They do a size for small dogs (which ours wolfs down) but there is also one for larger dogs. I don't know if it meets the requirements for the pet passport, I suspect it does but you could ask a vet or study the ingredients and check yourself, but getting the French vet to administer a tablet they supply might be the best way, as already suggested. If you supply the tablet they will need to check themselves it is acceptable and may insist on using their own even if it is.
But worming every month is recommended by my vet for dogs which aren't choosy what they pick up on walks so worth getting and trying some Milbemax anyway.
This is one supplier, there are others of course. :)
https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/dogs/worming/12

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Jamie is an artist when it comes to rejecting tablets but the French vets (and English for that matter) have got it off pat.
For other times we've discovered we can "con" him by wrapping the tablet in a bit of meat when we're having sandwiches for lunch - like all (well most) dogs he sits under the table waiting for tidbits and scoffs anything headed his way.
But thankfully he's not a food thief and will only take things given to him. But he does insist his afternoon biscuit is "dunked" in my tea!

Dogs - you gotta luv em!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I use Milbemax chewy tablets.

My dogs don't take tablets well either but Milbemax doesn't look like a tablet - it looks and I assumes tastes more like a treat so they happily take it.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I don't know if it meets the requirements for the pet passport,

Every vet that we've ever been to in France and Belgium has supplied Milbemax (y)

Has anyone any other ideas, or is there another worming tablet that is acceptable to the Pet Passport Scheme we could try?

There is no list of "acceptable" tablets.

The only requirements are that the tablets are approved in the country they being administered in and that they have praziquantel or an equivalent as the active ingredient.

The word "equivalent" in there is the key. That basically means ANY tapeworm treatment that a vet is prepared to administer is acceptable. If someone has told you otherwise they've told you wrong.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We use Milbemax, Spice (dark red/white) loves them but Meg (Tricolour) is not keen. She will take with cheese but it must be the right consistency, fairly sticky, ripe brie is good or better still Cambozola. The vet in France just shoves it down and it goes, but they have it every 3months from us.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
There has been some great advise so far.
I can't offer any different advise because I have given so many animals so many tablets, injections and various treatments over the years I have lost track....................:smiley:

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i

Dogs eh? Good luck.

The only stress involved is ours. Why should she be stressed, she knows she's going to get a treat, and she knows she's not going to swallow the tablet:D Seriously, I can get the tablet to the back of her throat with very little trouble. I've fairly large hands and push it as far back as I can, hold her mouth closed and stroke her throat. I don't know how she does it.

There must be an alternative to Drontal I could try.

Malcolm

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Get a plain 40 ml syringe from your vet, pop the tablet as far back as you can in the dog's mouth, and holding their mouth shut with their head up, gently squeeze in a syringe full of water. It's easier to do than describe !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Our previous vet sold tablet insertion tools for this purpose.
A bit like a drinking straw with a gadget on the end to hold, then release, the pill once in the throat far enough not to be coughed up.

Another option may be at the other end....it still gets in the bloodstream.

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
IMG_0345.JPG I have a pill popper gadget when giving my cat pills, works ever time.

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
The only stress involved is ours.

Erm.. yes.. It was your stress I was referring to actually. :)

It does sound as though you've exhausted all the options with the Drontal. Maybe time to give the MIlbemax a go.

petrocspals

Free Member
May 23, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
4 years
Injection for our beardie x wolfie lurcher. Less stress for him.He is worth every penny it costs and we can be sure he is wormed.
He mastered the art of regurgitating crushed, dissolved hidden tablets at an early age.Very impressed with the health checks from the vet in Eperleques and also Neufchatel en Bray.We have witnessed people being turned back at pet passport control for poor paperwork.Be scrupulous in checking the details.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We've got the same problem with our Sprollie and have to end up shoving the tablet down his throat which works, sometimes! So, been following this thread with interest.
Thinking that Milbemax could be worth a try but if I show wifey (aka pill administer in chief!) the DEFRA sheet on this she'll have a hairy fit! Section 4.5 (collie comment).

Attachments

• SPC_262853.pdf
    152 KB · Views: 17

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
You can get a tablet applicator-not sure what they're called-a tube with a plunger so the tablet gets, sort of, shot into the back of the mouth!
French Vets don't like giving the Drontal themselves.
The last French Vet we used wasn't even sure of what to do or when, he had to phone his wife and we had to explain to her what we wanted and when we were travelling, he then got the idea and stood there whilst his receptionist filled in the passport, I gave my dog the Drontal and then he signed the passport. Mind you I don't think he would have been any good at anything else, he was shaking so hard he was having to use the desk to stand up!
Go to your Vet in the UK and get a Drontal tablet to use in France, its cheaper all round.

OP
OP
E
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
We've got the same problem with our Sprollie and have to end up shoving the tablet down his throat which works, sometimes! So, been following this thread with interest.
Thinking that Milbemax could be worth a try but if I show wifey (aka pill administer in chief!) the DEFRA sheet on this she'll have a hairy fit! Section 4.5 (collie comment).
From what I read it's only rough haired collies that MAY have an adverse reaction. Apparently there's a simple DNA test your dog can have to see if it is affected. I've just ordered some 'chewy' Milbemax to try this time, but I must admit if we still had a collie I'd struggle on with Drontal.

Malcolm

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
From what I read it's only rough haired collies that MAY have an adverse reaction. Apparently there's a simple DNA test your dog can have to see if it is affected. I've just ordered some 'chewy' Milbemax to try this time, but I must admit if we still had a collie I'd struggle on with Drontal.

Malcolm
It only says with Collies getting the dose correct is important. In other words, it is only dangerous if the dog is overdosed so if the owner knows how much their dog weighs it shouldn't be difficult to give the correct dose.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I was going to recommend the pill popper too. Vets often sell them, as do Pets at Home. Still needs to go right to the back of the mouth though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back