A question of length, under 6m vs 7 metres? Views pls (2 Viewers)

Paddyfrog

Free Member
Mar 25, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Hello Everyone,
We are on the cusp of acquiring a second-hand camping car, we are living in France.
Our gut feeling is to go for the shorter vehicles, under 6 metres, for ease of manuvrability - wild camping, exploring old town centres and narrow country roads..........
Today we saw two, one of 6m and one of 7m. We were very, very enamored with the layout of the 7m vehicle, took it for a test drive in a town, found it fine to drive around with...... and inside it couldn't be better.
So I ask you experts about your experience about having a 7m vehicle? We intend to explore at the weekends, we are lovers of ancient architecture, so want to see medieval towns etc. Hence our decision to opt for the shorter version. But having seen and driven the 7m version..... wow, perfect. We could both imagine spending protracted time in it, perhaps two months, Jan and Feb, in south of Spain to escape the worst of the winter freezes here in France. The space in the 7m vehicle was amazing.
Any pointers please?
Thank you - I can see from earlier snooping that you are a very friendly bunch!

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Welcome!

As the owners of a 6M van, we chose that over a 7M or longer one primarily on the basis of manoeuvrability. From what we saw of vans a metre longer, most of the extra length was overhang dedicated to "garage" space that we really wouldn't need. 30Cm additional living area added absolutely nothing to our quality of use. It has not been a decision we have regretted.

Layout is the most important thing in a van, in my opinion, not necessarily size. If you have found a layout that suits you, whatever its size, and the cost is right, then I would just go for it. But get it checked out for dampness, etc beforehand

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The general consensus seems to be width is more of a potential issue than length. A 6m vehicle won't fit on a standard parking bay any more than a 7m one will. If you want an easy to park MH then a PVC will suit but for a typical 2.4m wide coachbuilt I don't think you would find much difference lengthwise between 6m or 7m. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
It is a little harder to find parking spaces for the longer van but the width is likely to be similar on both so neither that easy to park and the width to me is the awkward part of both parking and driving in narrow streets and busy towns. Ours is 7 metres and I would prefer not to have anything shorter to live in for long periods. We use cycles and a scooter to get around once we've parked up. Hope you enjoy whatever you choose.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
:ello:
From us in East Sussex and
:welco:
We started with a 6m van and enjoyed it for 3 years being able to go where we liked.
In 2015 we changed to a 7m and can still visit all the places we like to. With the smaller medieval towns we generally park outside and walk/bus in. As has been said, layout is king. Find your ideal layout and you will cope with the length.
Good luck in whatever you end up with (y)

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
welcome animated smiley3.gif
Ours is sub 6 metres and the only advantage another metre and a half would be more rubbish inside to store. It's well big enough. If a Transit can go there, so can we. Full A class. We can go anywhere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I agree with the above ,layout is more important than length , IMO
Having in earlier , years built/converted several panel vans ,to our needs and toured around France /Spain.
But now older and wider around the middrif comfort is more important and a rear bed layout so opted for a 6.5m Challenger 104(from France) .I haven't found any problems getting to the same places as when driving a smaller van .
Good luck with your quest ,and bon voyage

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I could happily live in my 6 metres van even though I have previously owned a 7 metre one. If the layout of the van you have seen is to your liking then I would say go for it, you will not notice the "extra" metre if it is your first van (y)
The main thing to appreciate is the overhang of the van but you will soon adjust.
Good luck with your choice whatever it is.
Norman.

Almost forgot, :welcomesign:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Paddyfrog

Free Member
Mar 25, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
My goodness, so many quick responses.......... I am sharing them with my husband as they come in. Somehow we imagined that 7m is "oversize" for want of a better word, but your responses are reassuring. Yes, we love the layout. It seems so spacious for just the two of us, we could imagine spending protacted time in it. The first one we saw was 6m20 and seemed very restricted in space. Miniscule kitchen whereas 7m has L-shaped kitchen with prep area.
Thank you for calming our nerves.
We have a whole lot to learn...... so expect to hear more from us. Thank you for the warm welcomes.

Upvote 0

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
What ever you choose , you will get used to it. We have sub 6 mtrs It helps with prices on ferry's. But you must do the basic checks on any vehicle that you buy. Have FUN. :Grin:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having had MHs of various lengths, from a shortie Rapido 5.53m and a Rimor at 7.23m, we found that the width as well as length played quite a large part but the longer length meant less manoeuvrability and also having to 'watch' the swing of the rear when turning and ultimately we found this a nuisance especially with the places we like to go.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is payload ... have you checked how much there is with each vehicle? The 7m one is more likely to have less than the 6m one which could prove important depending on what you want to take away with you.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
@Paddyfrog I've picked a few bits out of your post, which I believe answer your own question for you (y)

....very, very enamoured with the layout.... fine to drive around with.... inside it couldn't be better.... wow, perfect.... the space in the 7m vehicle was amazing !

Both 6m and 7m are too long to park in a normal sized car parking bay, so go for the one you like and you will make the parking work around its size.

My first motorhome was 8.67m and as well as perfectly fitting your descriptive list, I managed to park it with no issues other than a bit of occasional forward planning.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Mine is 7.6m and I don't find maneuverability much of a problem. Parking is no more problem than a 6m one, they're both too big!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Paddyfrog

Free Member
Mar 25, 2017
France
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Yes, some stats. It is 2m20 wide, 3000kgs, so just 500kgs to play with....... but how much luggage does one need. I calculate 150kg for the two of us, 100kg for water, so that leaves 250kg for 'stuff'. Or have I got something wrong here? How much does your luggage weigh?
It is a 2002 model, 65K kms and clean, neat and sound as a new pin. No solar panels, which we wanted. Engine a bit noiser than hubby's own Transit (van), but before buying we will bring someone who is much more up to speed with motors. But 65,000 kms isn't much.
Or am I mistaken?

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We went from a 6m to a 7m and has made no difference in driving. But the layout for us is do much better. It feels more than a metre when we are inside.

:welco::ello:

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
You will get used to whatever you decide, parking is problematic, whether it is 6m or 7m. 65K Kms is not a great deal

I found extended rear overhang a bit of a bore, and given the additional length was mostly unused garage (and not very usable in terms of additional payload0, the fact we were buying new (so had more choice) and the layout suited us, we bought a 6M one. 2.2 M width is a bit restrictive IMO, but not exceptionally so

If you have found something that you like, then provided it comes up to scratch in terms of hab and the mechanical side of things, then just go for it.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes, some stats. It is 2m20 wide, 3000kgs, so just 500kgs to play with....... but how much luggage does one need. I calculate 150kg for the two of us, 100kg for water, so that leaves 250kg for 'stuff'. Or have I got something wrong here? How much does your luggage weigh?
To be safe get it weighed totally empty so you know for sure what the payload is as any extras added to it will have reduced the available payload, you also need to check the individual axle weight too to make sure they are not going to be overloaded.
It is a 2002 model, 65K kms and clean, neat and sound as a new pin. No solar panels, which we wanted. Engine a bit noiser than hubby's own Transit (van), but before buying we will bring someone who is much more up to speed with motors. But 65,000 kms isn't much.
Or am I mistaken?
65,000 kms (40,000 miles) is about average for many MHs, approx 2850 miles a year but one thing to check is if the timing belt has been changed as it's likely not to ever have been done but will need it (assuming the engine has one and not a timing chain). Also check the age of the tyres as these can prove costly to replace if you end up having to do all 5.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
IMG_0855.GIF
What's the worst that can happen? Ok so maybe you will find the extra length a bit too much of a pain, BUT you can change it later if necessary. However if you go for the shorter one you will forever be thinking what it would be like to live in the one you really like.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Width is more important than length, so long as it will fit your drive.
As mentioned, payload is likely to become your most important criteria.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
:HelloThere:

In the great words of Kirsty the house hunter

Layout. Layout. Layout :D

Well I may if used slightly different words.
We've just bought our first MoHo and stuck to our guns on what we were looking for and ended up with a 7.2 MoHo

Good luck with your search (y)

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
View attachment 154325
What's the worst that can happen? Ok so maybe you will find the extra length a bit too much of a pain, BUT you can change it later if necessary. However if you go for the shorter one you will forever be thinking what it would be like to live in the one you really like.
That is so true

We whent round and round in circles because we though 8.5 metres and 6 tonnes was too big for our first van, but then as suggested by Riverbankannie there would always be the envious looks at the bigger van and and thinking that we should have tried it.

So eventually we did and love the space(y)

Martin

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Unless you go for a small PVC you are never going to be able to drive a motorhome into the centre of cities/towns and park it like you would with a car, whether it is 6m or 7m long. Go for the bigger one and walk more, or do as did and get a motorhome with a garage big enough for a little scooter.

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We've recently changed vans from a 6m coach built to circa 7m integrated model. The change of layout and additional meter or so has made a big difference to both living space and washroom dimensions, both of which were bugging me in the old van. Will now be much more tolerable when away with the 3 dogs, which means fewer trips to the kennels for them, so it's a win win.

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We had a 6.2 M for 7 years, originally accommodated kids, they have gone, phew, last 3 or 4 years that van did us grand. Wasnt even thinking of changing it til I became jealous of a scooter in the garage. Got a 7.2 metre van now, (with garage and scooter) no difference, even for the wife, in driving it.
Shockingly my 7.2 m van comes in at 6.99 metres when booking DFDS.

Layout just gets another vote

The best advice i can offer is to wait, why not just not get one and invite every funster onto your drive and create a free aire so that we can all use it then you could take your time in making your mind up;) PS where are you and bagsy first dibs

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back