A question about lights and switches and splicing into cables. (1 Viewer)

Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Lets say I have two puck lights wired in parallel in the ceiling, which come on via one switch.

I then have a pair of wall mounted reading lights with their own switches built into the bases.

Could I splice into the positive and negative wires running to the puck lights (using a scotch lock for example) to power the reading light?

Could the reading light then be switched on while the ceiling lights are switched off and vice versa?

Thanks in advance for answering what must be another of my obvious questions! I hope everyone is keeping well with everything that's going on. Working on my van while the pub is closed is keeping me sane (as I have ever been :tounge: ). I've been building draws today. I'll not be doing that again in a hurry! Draws are hard. :giggler:

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
It may depend on how the existing lights are wired. Will power reach the reading lights if the main light is powered off?

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
It may depend on how the existing lights are wired. Will power reach the reading lights if the main light is powered off?

Nothing is pre-existing. This is how I plan to light the back of my van, above my bed. I’ve not installed any lights yet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I always use scotch locks.

Much quicker and easier and as long as they are accessible, I don’t see the issue.

Sorry, I know some people hate them. ☹️

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Lets say I have two puck lights wired in parallel in the ceiling, which come on via one switch.

I then have a pair of wall mounted reading lights with their own switches built into the bases.

Could I splice into the positive and negative wires running to the puck lights (using a scotch lock for example) to power the reading light?

Could the reading light then be switched on while the ceiling lights are switched off and vice versa?

Thanks in advance for answering what must be another of my obvious questions! I hope everyone is keeping well with everything that's going on. Working on my van while the pub is closed is keeping me sane (as I have ever been :tounge: ). I've been building draws today. I'll not be doing that again in a hurry! Draws are hard. :giggler:
If your reading lights are powered from the wires to the ceiling lights then Yes you will be able to switch them all on together assuming the reading light switches are in the on position then you can switch them off individually but you can not have the reading lights on without the ceiling lights, just think of it as a master switch and two slave switches at the reading lights.

Have a look at Wago connectors, https://www.wago.com/gb/electrical-...stallation-terminal-blocks-and-connectors/221

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Much quicker and easier and as long as they are accessible, I don’t see the issue.

Sorry, I know some people hate them. ☹
With a passion :giggle: . They cut the wire to which they are attached, they're huge by comparison with any alternative, and they are incredibly ugly. And that's when used in a dry location. Get them damp and they open up a whole new world of fault potential.

:giggler::giggler:

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
With a passion :giggle: . They cut the wire to which they are attached, they're huge by comparison with any alternative, and they are incredibly ugly. And that's when used in a dry location. Get them damp and they open up a whole new world of fault potential.

:giggler::giggler:

I don’t disagree, that’s why I hide them and keep them dry. 😂

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Sorry, I know some people hate them. ☹
Terrible things very unreliable. If you want an easy reliable way of connecting wires use Waco connectors and they are much easier to use.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I have stopped using Scotchlok and now use Wago connectors.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012

To keep it simple, you want to access a light cable that is always live and splice off that to your new lamp, as long as that has it's own switch it will operate independently. If there's no switch built-in, add one in parallel on the live line. Make sure you retain continuity by running the circuit back to where you started. As others advise, if in doubt use an in-line fuse holder.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
You are more likely to find a permanently live wire at the switch than at the light (except if the switch is part of a 2 way system where you can turn the lights off and on at different places).

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
You are more likely to find a permanently live wire at the switch than at the light (except if the switch is part of a 2 way system where you can turn the lights off and on at different places).
My expertise is domestic installations and I'm less sure about vehicles. In the home a modern lighting circuit has the live and return looping in and out of the ceiling roses so we would always look up there for a viable spur. Switches can be investigated as mentioned but usually they are too tight for this purpose.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My expertise is domestic installations and I'm less sure about vehicles. In the home a modern lighting circuit has the live and return looping in and out of the ceiling roses so we would always look up there for a viable spur. Switches can be investigated as mentioned but usually they are too tight for this purpose.
I have no doubt you are correct re domestic circuits but think 12V motorhome circuits are different.

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
I have no doubt you are correct re domestic circuits but think 12V motorhome circuits are different.
Can't argue with that. However electricity behaves the same and the same basic rules apply. By all means investigate a light switch if it's closer and accessable.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018

The better way than scotch locks is to splice into the wires and solder then insulate, that way you have a much lower resistant connection and safer. Scotchlocks eventually have corrosion at the join which is a very small piece of copper alloy, probably brass, pinching the internally wiring, great for a temporary job but not a permanent job. All my wiring in my van has been by soldered spliced joints ie remove the insulation for a short length, separate the internal wire strands into two, push through the gap the new wire, solder that up then insulate with insulation tape ensuring it is well past the exposed wires.
Yes you do have to do it for both positive and negative wires. As to whether you can have all on at the same time depends on the circuit fuse or trip as to the loa possible but bear in mind LED lights run at very low current rates so if you are replacing, say tungsten with LED then you would be OK most likely.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
The better way than scotch locks is to splice into the wires and solder then insulate, that way you have a much lower resistant connection and safer. Scotchlocks eventually have corrosion at the join which is a very small piece of copper alloy, probably brass, pinching the internally wiring, great for a temporary job but not a permanent job. All my wiring in my van has been by soldered spliced joints ie remove the insulation for a short length, separate the internal wire strands into two, push through the gap the new wire, solder that up then insulate with insulation tape ensuring it is well past the exposed wires.
Yes you do have to do it for both positive and negative wires. As to whether you can have all on at the same time depends on the circuit fuse or trip as to the loa possible but bear in mind LED lights run at very low current rates so if you are replacing, say tungsten with LED then you would be OK most likely.
I agree about scotchlocks but I thought motor manufacturers and constructors avoided soldering joints wherever possible because they can fail due to vibrations. Crimped joints are favoured but the Wago connectors are well made and easier to use.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Thanks to all for the replies.

In terms of amp rating etc, I'm using 6mm wire because I have it and its not much more expensive then 4mm. The 6mm wire I have is rated at 56 amps. The rating of the reading lamps are 3W (or 0.25A at 12V). There are 4 so max 1A. The puck lights are 0.4A each. I want 5, so that will be 2A. Total amps for lights is 3A. I may add strip lights or more puck lights to the underside of the high level kitchen cabinets. But I haven't built them yet!

What I propose is to partition the lights into two systems - front and back. For the front three puck lights and the under kitchen lights on one system, going out from and returning to the 12v fuse / negative box. And another system for the back of the van / above the bed - 4 reading lamps and two puck lights.

I would like to be able to switch on the lamps individually. In addition to be able to switch on either the back puck lights or the front or both at the same time.

The piccy below is a little diagram I made up, which might better illustrate what I plan.

What I really want to know is if I tap into the wire running to the last puck light to power the reading lamps will the reading lamps be able to come on if the puck lights are switched off?

lights!.jpg

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
I agree about scotchlocks but I thought motor manufacturers and constructors avoided soldering joints wherever possible because they can fail due to vibrations. Crimped joints are favoured but the Wago connectors are well made and easier to use.

I thought similar about wago. They rattle about and disconnect so are not recommended in auto industry. Might be wrong. (Likely).

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
To keep it simple, you want to access a light cable that is always live and splice off that to your new lamp, as long as that has it's own switch it will operate independently.

If the puck lights are controlled by a switch is the +tive to them still live when the puck lights are switched off?

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
eh?

If the puck lights don't have power, and the reading lights are fed from them, then the reading lights won't have power.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
eh?

If the puck lights don't have power, and the reading lights are fed from them, then the reading lights won't have power.

The puck lights will be powered by connecting them to the fuse box. They will be wired in parallel.

The thing I do not understand though is if I can connect into that line for the lamps and expect to be able to turn the lamps on if the pucks are off. Will turning the pucks off mean it is impossible to get power out of that line to the pucks for the lamps?

Sorry if the answer is blindingly obvious.

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
. Will turning the pucks off mean it is impossible to get power out of that line to the pucks for the lamps?

Sorry if the answer is blindingly obvious.

Yes it would mean that. Think about the switch as a valve in a water pipe if it helps. Switch off = valve closed, which means no water in any of the pipes after the valve (switch)

I think you need someone else to wire this up for you! Please tell me you're not doing any mains wiring or gas install...

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I thought similar about wago. They rattle about and disconnect so are not recommended in auto industry. Might be wrong. (Likely).
Not heard that before. Generally thought safe because of low insertion force and high retention force. Possibly some cheap copies about that are not so well manufactured.

OP
OP
CamperJack
Oct 11, 2019
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Converting a Van
Exp
I'm a Total Newbie!
Yes it would mean that. Think about the switch as a valve in a water pipe if it helps. Switch off = valve closed, which means no water in any of the pipes after the valve (switch)

I think you're misunderstanding me because I'm explaining myself badly. What if you spliced into the wire after the fuse box supply but before the puck light's switch? That way the wire would not be broken before it got to the puck.

Or would it just be easier to have the pucks on one system and the reading lights on another?

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
The point is you achieve a mechanical, non soldered joint, first then solder it assuring that you have used the correct heat and it has penetrated into the wires and the joint is thus being made permanent

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the way you have the switch wired to the pucks when that positive is broken ( switched off ) there is no power to any of the others

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
I think you're misunderstanding me because I'm explaining myself badly. What if you spliced into the wire after the fuse box supply but before the puck light's switch?

That would be fine, but it's not what you've drawn.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back