A photo of the outside from Inside (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Dalwhinnie.
20230910_185103.jpg

Sep 22, 2017
Funster No
Guinard Bay, Wester Ross, appalling weather.View attachment 803754
Bliss, I have been trying to remember that spot for ages.(y)Stopped there on my very first motohome trip on my own, nearly crashed the van when I came around the corner, well to the left as you look at that picture. Its a hairpin bend and you are suddenly confronted with that panoramic view over that bay. That was many years ago, stayed there for the night in that very spot, a lovely memory and thats exactly how it looked at the time:inlove:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Great view from our pitch at Choraid Croft overlooking Loch Eriboll. We understand its the deepest sea water loch and was used in WWII to repair ships. View attachment 810002
I believe that's the Loch where the German U boat fleet surrendered after WW2.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Great view from our pitch at Choraid Croft overlooking Loch Eriboll. We understand its the deepest sea water loch and was used in WWII to repair ships. View attachment 810002
We stayed on that little CL 5 years ago when touring the highlands. The Tea room was popular, I hope "James" the old guy originally from England is still OK, he was very old and had a terrible Chest Cough.
He used to dive for Scallops in The Loch before he married & retired to run the croft Tea Room, got loads of stories from him, had a great time. "He had trouble selling his hand dived Scallops for Half a Crown in those days!"
The battle cruiser HMS Hood in 1934 was moored up to give the crew a rest for 3 weeks, no shore leave, no pubs, nothing to do, so the crew climbed up the hillside on the opposite side from the Croft CL and placed white stones saying HMS HOOD to commemorate their visit. The Hood Britain's biggest warship built in 1918 was unfortunately sunk by The Bismarck 24th May 1941 in The Battle of The Denmark Strait, of the 1418 crew, only 3 survived.
Volunteers re-paint the stones when needed, and I must visit there again one day to see them, only found this story out after my return. The best driving view I experienced was driving up the brow of a hill, road turns sharp left, revealing Loch Eriboll below in its entirety looking south, The old Lime Kilns were also a good walk arround.
Yes, Loch Eriboll was used to store the surrendered German U Boats after the surrender docs were signed in Reims France, I think there were 30 U boats surrendered in total 3 in Weymouth, one was rumoured to have had no ammo or guns, it was stuffed with booze & Tobacco and used as a supply ship to the other U boats apparently.
LES
PS: hope James is OK, lovely chap so he was, love to back and see him.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back