A friend is thinking about opening a CL ..... (1 Viewer)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
One of our neighbours is pretty keen on opening a CL, just off the A697 near Greenlaw, Scottish Borders so would be handy for people traveling to or from Scotland and it's an easy ride up to Edinburgh except there is no public transport.

We've told him that he would need to provide drinking water, black waste disposal and household waste facilities. None of this is an issue for him as the drainage is already on site as is water. He was talking about loos and showers but I have suggested that just makes work and isn't necessary if he specifies self contained units only. He also has electric available and it won't take much to hook up a few EHUs.

Can anyone think of things i have forgotten? The field is about an acre all told.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
One of our neighbours is pretty keen on opening a CL, just off the A697 near Greenlaw, Scottish Borders so would be handy for people traveling to or from Scotland and it's an easy ride up to Edinburgh except there is no public transport.

We've told him that he would need to provide drinking water, black waste disposal and household waste facilities. None of this is an issue for him as the drainage is already on site as is water. He was talking about loos and showers but I have suggested that just makes work and isn't necessary if he specifies self contained units only. He also has electric available and it won't take much to hook up a few EHUs.

Can anyone think of things i have forgotten? The field is about an acre all told.
It will take much to hook up a few EHU's and they will have to be professionally tested and certified and will have to be tested annually

And then listen to people drip that they are actually expected to "pay for electricity?"

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Apologies if your friend already has a copy (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• setting-up-a-cl-guide.pdf
    279.6 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
It will take much to hook up a few EHU's and they will have to be professionally tested and certified and will have to be tested annually

And then listen to people drip that they are actually expected to "pay for electricity?"

The install and testing isn't an issue as he's in the building trade. The proposed site is on part of the additional land he had to buy as part of the building plot where he is building his own house. He only wanted the building plot but it all got quite complex with legals and planning and other ownship issues so he ended up with a lot more land than he first intended. At least he has easy access to his extra land - our "extra" doesn't have vehicle access at all.

Hard standing is handy.

Again not an issue as there is hard standing on part of the site already and the landscape people / ground workers will be there before the winter sets in. We are hoping they will come and do our bit first before the field gets planted up and the access closes off again.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Personally i am notbothered about hook up or hard standing but if there was a choice between 2 cl sites close to each other one had ehu and hard standing and one had a nice CLEAN toilet only i would opt for the one with the toilet, i just like to take my morning ritual on a flushing loo

If i ever had a cl site a loo would be my priority to supply 1st

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We prefer places without EHU and they are getting harder and harder to find. We don't need hook up and object to having to pay for it.
Years back almost all CLs had just the basics and charged a reasonable rate. Then the owners started putting in hookups and increasing rates accordingly. Now some even have toilets/showers, with another hefty increase in fees and as a result are nearly as bad as staying on a site.
A basic CL is really just like an aire and some were in good positions, the move to turn them into mini sites just reduces choice. Profitable they probably were not, though the upkeep on a basic site was minimal (just cut grass though some I knew in the past just let sheep on them sometimes). The ones with the facilities are probably even less profitable if anything as they are still restricted to a max of 5 units and a lot of the time may have none at all.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Personally i am notbothered about hook up or hard standing but if there was a choice between 2 cl sites close to each other one had ehu and hard standing and one had a nice CLEAN toilet only i would opt for the one with the toilet, i just like to take my morning ritual on a flushing loo

If i ever had a cl site a loo would be my priority to supply 1st

We sometimes stay on sites (abroad) but don't use the toilets/showers and especially not with Covid about. Just as well we are all different.

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
We are far more likely to use a site with EHU. It’s perfectly possible to have EHU and non EHU pitches on a site and charge differently.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We regularly use CL’s and notice a lot now have chargeable EHU which is paid by card or tokens... seems the best way to me, gives you the choice and you pay accordingly

But aren't those limited to how much they can charge over and above the suppliers rate? I'd think it would take even longer to recoup the costs.

From it's position I would guess it would be more popular with "transit" folk than "stayers". As such surely even the most basic motorhome/campervan is self-sufficient enough for one or two nights. Okay maybe a (nice) toilet cubicle for those who only have the porta potty type. No matter how "easy" it is to put the extras in, don't.

We actively look for CL's etc with minimum facilities, i.e. somewhere to empty the loo and refill the water tank, anything else isn't necessary. Usually cheaper (although if I need facilities I don't mind paying for them) and they're usually quieter too.

Can't help feeling that if folk were encouraged to accept minimum facilities there would be a lot more of them. I often look at local fields that are not being actively farmed and think of the possibilities.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
I'd start with just the basics - access from roads (remember that many heavyish vehicles through an unmade or grass drive could soon churn that up and make a mess so that may need improvement first), good firm level ground for the pitch, water supply, dump point, and refuse. Even just providing water, dump and refuse could incur commercial charges to the site owner. That way initial cost setups are affordable whilst you establish if there is demand for the site in the location. Later you can add other amenities such as toilet, EHU, hardstandings, if the market shows there is a desire for them, and you want to operate a longer season.

Remember that you may avoid planning consent by getting a licence such as that offered through Jim. But that is for a very limited number of campers. Increase the number, or start making permanent landscaping changes like hardstandings may well be considered development work that does need planning approval on top of the licence.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Hard standing is a must
Without it you are limiting the amount of time the site is usable
Sooner or later someone will get bogged down.
EHU depends on the folk they are wanting to attract
Caravans tend to stay longer and using site to tour area probably more likely to want EHU
Site near Smailhome often has caravans there in the winter

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
If they really want to make it a "Go to" site, I would suggest hedged areas offering an amount of privacy and a picnic table for each spot.
I really dont use the picnic tables, but the photos make them look so much nicer and enticing to attend when it looks like youre getting your own piece of Scotland to rent and checking against others

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We prefer places without EHU and they are getting harder and harder to find. We don't need hook up and object to having to pay for it.
I sort of agree, but in Scotland in late autumn solar may be not enough for some vans

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Jim I have a friend who is thinking of doing the same at Jedburgh and was going to contact yourself to check if you would exempt them.
She might already have contacted you.
Charlie.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I'd start with just the basics - access from roads (remember that many heavyish vehicles through an unmade or grass drive could soon churn that up and make a mess so that may need improve :) ment first), good firm level ground for the pitch, water supply, dump point, and refuse. Even just providing water, dump and refuse could incur commercial charges to the site owner. That way initial cost setups are affordable whilst you establish if there is demand for the site in the location. Later you can add other amenities such as toilet, EHU, hardstandings, if the market shows there is a desire for them, and you want to operate a longer season.

That is my suggestion also :) Start basic and add as and when affordable / necessary.

I would also suggest no EHU to start with but offer battery charging or even generator hire :)

The proposed site already has boundary hedges - I am not sure he would want to add further hedging at the moment but the picnic tables are a good idea and don't cost much.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back