Free Member
Aug 16, 2019
Bath
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo 2013
Exp
Newbies
I understood that the 90/180 rule may apply post brexit for uk citizens - but does it apply now?? I keep seeing different answers - but if it applies how do brits go to Spain for 6 months in the winter, or people travelling around Europe fulltime?

I’m interested in the current position - not post brexit!

Thanks!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The 90/180 rule applies to all EU Citizens when they enter and remain in any other EU country. After 90 days they must register in that country.

It is generally not enforced because once one enters the Schengen Area there are no border checks and therefore no record of entry dates.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I understood that the 90/180 rule may apply post brexit for uk citizens - but does it apply now?? I keep seeing different answers - but if it applies how do brits go to Spain for 6 months in the winter, or people travelling around Europe fulltime?

I’m interested in the current position - not post brexit!

Thanks!
The confusion arises because there's a different 90 day rule in existence. If you stay in say Spain for over 90 days you are supposed to register. This doesn't prevent you staying over 90 days, just you have to let them know you're there. However, the rule is widely disregarded as it doesn't seem to be enforced.

The 90/180 rule is for non-EU citizens and applies in the Schengen zone. It exists now but doesn't apply to us -at the moment. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tanya_and_Mick

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 12, 2015
Quesada, Spain
Funster No
MH
Globecar 640DK
Exp
If caught, typically you are requested to prove that you have not been over 90 or 180 - rather than the authorities prove you have. In Spain, if caught over 181 days you can be liable to local tax laws on worldwide income.

To add, in Portugal there have been recent checks at roundabouts near schools where ex-pats have been challenged that they must be over the 90 or 181 as their children are in school - ouch

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back