8 hours in Italy A & E and counting

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
I'm lying on my bed in the motorhome, parked outside a hospital in Syrecuse on Sicily why my wife waits to be seen in the emergency room. I'm not allowed in. I did manage to pass some food and drink through the window of the waiting room after she had been there for 5 hours with not even a glass of water.

She came off her bike when we were cycling back from town this afternoon. Bad gouge to her ankle that has dirt in it and needs stitching.

Worst thing is not knowing how long it will be and the complete lack of communication and care from the hospital staff. One Italian guy kicked off earlier and as a result got seen. Difficult to kick off when you don't speak the lingo.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Kontiki 669
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry to hear about your wife’s accident ,I hope she gets seen soon. So not just the Uk with hospital problems.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I'm lying on my bed in the motorhome, parked outside a hospital in Syrecuse on Sicily why my wife waits to be seen in the emergency room. I'm not allowed in. I did manage to pass some food and drink through the window of the waiting room after she had been there for 5 hours with not even a glass of water.

She came off her bike when we were cycling back from town this afternoon. Bad gouge to her ankle that has dirt in it and needs stitching.

Worst thing is not knowing how long it will be and the complete lack of communication and care from the hospital staff. One Italian guy kicked off earlier and as a result got seen. Difficult to kick off when you don't speak the lingo.
Do you have travel insurance? Can you call them? Maybe they will have an Italian speaker who can gee them up.
Or if all else fails find the hospital manager and tell them you're going to take a contract out on them if your wife doesn't get seen immediately, you're in Sicily home of the Mafia.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
VXman
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
All done at 23.15. Messed up our plans of sleeping on Etna tonight but driven half way there and ready to kip in a carpark at 12.40 am. What a day. Buckled the rear wheel of her bike too!

What I will say is how lovely the locals were when she came off. 4 cars stopped in the middle of the road holding up all the traffic. Gave her water, packet of baby wipes, offered to ring he ambulance etc. Really helpful and concerned Italians.

I'll save the 'what on earth were you doing?' for another day :LOL:

Likes collected
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
All done at 23.15. Messed up our plans of sleeping on Etna tonight but driven half way there and ready to kip in a carpark at 12.40 am. What a day. Buckled the rear wheel of her bike too!

What I will say is how lovely the locals were when she came off. 4 cars stopped in the middle of the road holding up all the traffic. Gave her water, packet of baby wipes, offered to ring he ambulance etc. Really helpful and concerned Italians.

I'll save the 'what on earth were you doing?' for another day :LOL:
nice to hear your all okay now

OP
OP
VXman
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
The morning after the night before. Bruised and achy the wife has 3 stiches, 2 in her ankle and one in her knee, antibiotics, iodine wash and dressings. Total cost 9 hours wait and 33 euros in meds. I think the hike to the top of Etna is off but we'll still do the cable car and the 4x4 up as far as we can.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back