7day 'no plan' wander around some of Belgium and possibly a bit of the Netherlands 😊 (1 Viewer)

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
So my son and I are having a 7day tour around some of Belgium and possibly some bits of the Netherlands. As the title suggests, we have no plan and no itinerary. We were originally aiming for Amsterdam at the weekend but its 'Pride' weekend so we are giving that a miss.

We left Cardiff just before lunchtime today and had a very easy drive to the tunnel. M20 was all coned off for the lorry queue but there were no lorries 🤷 so it was a straight through run. The terminal was busy, I think a lot of people had set off early so were waiting longer than usual. LOTS (maybe 40?) motorhomes in the carpark. Our train was on time and apart from maybe 20mins queuing for the French Passport control everything went smoothly.
We are now parked up in the big Aire at Bergues for the night. Quite full as you can see. Just one other Brit here.
Screenshot_20220726-210912.png
Screenshot_20220726-210939.png

Chilling with the essential glass of wine now (in a real glass) 👍
IMG_20220726_211933221_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
So my son and I are having a 7day tour around some of Belgium and possibly some bits of the Netherlands. As the title suggests, we have no plan and no itinerary. We were originally aiming for Amsterdam at the weekend but its 'Pride' weekend so we are giving that a miss.

We left Cardiff just before lunchtime today and had a very easy drive to the tunnel. M20 was all coned off for the lorry queue but there were no lorries 🤷 so it was a straight through run. The terminal was busy, I think a lot of people had set off early so were waiting longer than usual. LOTS (maybe 40?) motorhomes in the carpark. Our train was on time and apart from maybe 20mins queuing for the French Passport control everything went smoothly.
We are now parked up in the big Aire at Bergues for the night. Quite full as you can see. Just one other Brit here.
View attachment 645928View attachment 645929
Chilling with the essential glass of wine now (in a real glass) 👍View attachment 645932
Get out and get sum Belgian beer down you neck.
Bill

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
We had a wander into Bergues town at around 8.00pm apart from the chip shop which had a queue, everything else including the two bars on the square were already closed 😳 Plenty of beer in Bruges, I'm thinking
Screenshot_20220726-225818.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Off to Bruges late morning, it only took about an hour to get there and we managed to get one of the last few spaces in the Aire near the marina. 25euros a night but that includes 16amp electric. It's more like a carpark, the spaces are really tight, I managed to squeeze tight to the hedge in an end space.
IMG_20220727_204744479_HDR.jpg

Jun 6, 2022
Bottesford, Scunthorpe, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Brugge, just off the square, there is a bar there with over 1200 different bottled beers and quite a few draught, we spent a while in there trying to get through the list but failed :) hic

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Blue beer at Roubaix, but check opening times

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Amsterdam well worth a visit, just avoid the weekend, it's busy enough the rest of the time.

Also not far, I used to go from Eastbourne direct to Amsterdam as it was usually my first stop. Haven't been for 10-20 years though, I think diesel might have been a bit cheaper then.

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Amsterdam well worth a visit, just avoid the weekend, it's busy enough the rest of the time.

Also not far, I used to go from Eastbourne direct to Amsterdam as it was usually my first stop. Haven't been for 10-20 years though, I think diesel might have been a bit cheaper then.
We had planned to go to Amsterdam but it's 'Pride' weekend so giving it a miss this time 🥳

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Blue beer at Roubaix, but check opening times

I'll put that on the 'possible' list for the way back👍

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Off to Bruges late morning, it only took about an hour to get there and we managed to get one of the last few spaces in the Aire near the marina. 25euros a night but that includes 16amp electric. It's more like a carpark, the spaces are really tight, I managed to squeeze tight to the hedge in an end space.
View attachment 646297
No doubt the spaces at the end that are for larger vans are taken by small ones?🤬🤬

Did you have one of these?😋😋😋
3B2434C9-A509-4AF1-8E2E-D231B4B09580.jpeg

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
No doubt the spaces at the end that are for larger vans are taken by small ones?🤬🤬

Did you have one of these?😋😋😋
View attachment 646337
Wow that looks fab, I think I'll go find one for a late breakfast 👍
I'll have a wander around the parking later and look for the longer spaces, is there a sign?
I've just watched a big van that had pulled front first into a space opposite me have real trouble getting back out now that has filled up around him, lots shouting in Spanish from his wife 🫣
Lots of 'Florium' brand A class vans here, I've never heard of them before?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if the weathers good the coast between dunkirk and ostende is very nice ,aire at westende day pass on the tram goes all the way up and down

OP
OP
Itsmcb
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Check out Giethoorn, it's Fab, also Maastricht and Valkenburg in the south.
Yes I've been to Maastricht and enjoyed it, a lovely town (city?). I saw Giethoorn when I was researching possible stops, it looks nice but it's a bit too far north for this trip. I think I'm getting lazy but after 9 hours from Cardiff on Tuesday I really can't be a**ed to drive much further 🤷

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Yes I've been to Maastricht and enjoyed it, a lovely town (city?). I saw Giethoorn when I was researching possible stops, it looks nice but it's a bit too far north for this trip. I think I'm getting lazy but after 9 hours from Cardiff on Tuesday I really can't be a**ed to drive much further 🤷
It’s not that far, the Netherlands is very small lol, maybe just turn left and visit Texel, the biggest of the wadden islands, or bit closer Volendam, or turn right and visit Antwerp just over the border, it’s a fab City👍

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
It’s not that far, the Netherlands is very small lol, maybe just turn left and visit Texel, the biggest of the wadden islands, or bit closer Volendam, or turn right and visit Antwerp just over the border, it’s a fab City👍
Antwerp may be a fine city but I avoid it like the plague.
All the signs about it being an eco zone make me nervous as I sit in a queue for an hour trying to get past Antwerp.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Antwerp may be a fine city but I avoid it like the plague.
All the signs about it being an eco zone make me nervous as I sit in a queue for an hour trying to get past Antwerp.
Hard life if the word ecozone makes you anxious lol, read up about it and park accordingly. Nothing to worry about, plenty of places to park in Antwerp 👍

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Been all round the Netherlands 🇳🇱 love it. As you are in Belgium would give Delft a look ,

Vakantiepark Delftse Hout​

nice site near IKEA store in lovely parkland with great pitches and facilities and an easy walk into town. The old town has lovely architecture and canals ,the main square has great bars & restaurants , a climb up the church tower gives fantastic views. A visit to the Delft pottery factory also within walking distance is interesting with good tour and information.

Dokkum,Arnhem and Oosterwijk all worth a visit but further away from where you are.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Hard life if the word ecozone makes you anxious lol, read up about it and park accordingly. Nothing to worry about, plenty of places to park in Antwerp 👍
I have parked at Antwerp rocade on many occasions (y);)

https://www.visitantwerpen.be/en/transport/low-emission-zone

If you are planning to visit Antwerp by car start by checking here whether your vehicle may enter the low emission zone.

If your vehicle may enter the city, but it doesn’t have a Belgian or Dutch number plate, then you will need to register your car first*.

Does your car not meet the conditions for admission to the LEZ? Do you still want to drive into the city centre? Then you will be able to purchase a LEZ day pass up to eight times a year.

LEZ machines​

Did you enter the low emission zone by accident? Are you on your way to Antwerp but not certain whether your vehicle may actually enter the low emission zone? Then go to one of the eight LEZ machines and check, register or buy a LEZ day pass to avoid a fine.

Travel to Antwerp the smart way​

Do you want to avoid entering the low emission zone with your vehicle? Then use one of the many park and rides outside the LEZ. You can easily and cheaply travel into the city centre by public transport.

Broken Link Removed. Get off in Antwerp-Central, one of the most beautiful stations in the world, which is located in the city centre. From here on you can easily get to your destination by bus, tram, taxi or on foot. No more worrying about where to park your car.

Go to this website for further information.

*Attention​

Register your vehicle or permit through the City of Antwerp itself and avoid any extra administrative costs.

Beware of some commercial companies (such as Green Zone) that have offer to get your vehicle in order for the Antwerp LEZ zone by paying a fee. The City of Antwerp is not a partner of this type of organisation, and does not associate itself with their commission system.

These kinds of companies often also provide a sticker, but a physical document is not needed as a ticket for entering the LEZ zone in Antwerp. The control is automated on the basis of your number plate. So none of these stickers have any legal value.

Read all about other low emission zones in Europe here.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back