LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
.......have no experience of mag antennas, but the one rowan mentiions above from Poyntng is regarded as good by many on this forum (for one needing a hole)........
You can get an optional magnetic mount for the Poynting MIMO aerials.

Dec 17, 2019
St Leonards, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu
Exp
Converted caravanner!
I have an unlocked MF286D which is also a ZTE CAT 12 device with external antenna connections and two external antenna if you choose to use them, with an EE unlimited sim card I'm currently getting 75 Mbs down and 15 up in St Leonards Dorset without the antennas attached, and 75 down and 38 up with them attached. It supports bands 1,3,7,8,20,28 and 38. They are available on ebay and will run on a stabilised 12 volt supply, they won't run directly off a battery as the voltage will be higher than 12 volts when the batteries are charged.
We live there and dream of such speeds. Landline broadband best is 12mbs! Need one of these!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
OP
OP
Newfie
Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
ZTE MU5120
Just did a search on the Battery type/spec but it’s not showing any info, also not stated in the information in its box only this
Ultra large 10000mAh battery, 27W fast charging with18W powerbank
Also no info on review sites so guessing it it L-ion type

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just did a search on the Battery type/spec but it’s not showing any info, also not stated in the information in its box only this
Ultra large 10000mAh battery, 27W fast charging with18W powerbank
Also no info on review sites so guessing it it L-ion type
I think the one talked about above does not have a battery - I checked.
Not suitable for me as I want it to be more like a mifi than a router.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
We live there and dream of such speeds. Landline broadband best is 12mbs! Need one of these!
That was why we put the static dish for the inlaws - choice of no mobile signal (on mobiles) and 8Mbit DSL is still only thing available (not even VDSL). 100Mbit with a suitable dish on a pole aimed at a town 5 ish miles away.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I'm currently at Shamba holidays off Ringwood Road, speeds have improved a bit since this afternoon.

Screenshot_20240509-175250_Speedtest.jpg

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
They're a bit cheaper on ebay which is where I got mine from, make sure you get an unlocked one unless you're happy with the 3 network.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
You can use an old mobile ,4g, in a waterproof box and use its hotspot , cheap way of doing it. I got 140Mbs earlier doing this earlier today.

I have a mu5001 which I use for my home broadband, I did use it in the van with an ariel, Poynting, but the ariel made very little difference at all to the signal.

My mu5001 is permanently on charge, been like that for 4 months. It fully charges then discharges and charges again automatically, no issues at all. Have the ZTE app to reboot remotely and monitor it's performance.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
You can use an old mobile ,4g, in a waterproof box and use its hotspot , cheap way of doing it. I got 140Mbs earlier doing this earlier today.
This weekend I actually tried to use my old mobile to do that (during a busy motorhome show). I couldn't load a webpage. It's on the same network as the ZTE connected to the roof antenna. During busy times it really makes a difference.

When you have full signal as in 140Mbit, it makes ZERO difference as I've already conceeded. I would have 100% missed the Ipswich game on Sky Sports if I had relied on my phone on the roof.

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022

I have a mu5001 which I use for my home broadband, I did use it in the van with an ariel, Poynting, but the ariel made very little difference at all to the signal.

My mu5001 is permanently on charge, been like that for 4 months. It fully charges then discharges and charges again automatically, no issues at all. Have the ZTE app to reboot remotely and monitor it's perfor
This weekend I actually tried to use my old mobile to do that (during a busy motorhome show). I couldn't load a webpage. It's on the same network as the ZTE connected to the roof antenna. During busy times it really makes a difference.

When you have full signal as in 140Mbit, it makes ZERO difference as I've already conceeded. I would have 100% missed the Ipswich game on Sky Sports if I had relied on my phone on the roof.
What ariel have you got?.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
What ariel have you got?.
Got the motorhomewifi one as got it installed when we had the van in for something else (as I didn't want to drill the roof). Paired with the ZTE mentioned above at moment, swapping for a MU5001 as soon as I start seeing 5g in Norfolk/Suffolk/East Yorks/Linconshire rurally (which is where the van mostly goes). The full package of install + kit was reasonable given I didn't want to drill roof (all in was not that expensive as was having other work done).

It's basically near same as the Poynting in performance, as in roughly is a 6Db gain on most channels.
Exact gain is:
698-960MHz: 6dBi / 1710-2700MHz: 8.5dBi / 2700-3800MHz: 9.5dBi / 4900-600MHz: 10dBi (according to the manufacturer spec sheet)

8.5Dbi on the main channels EE/Three use (1800mhz, band 3, 2100mhz band 1), with 6db on rural ones (800mhz).... which is not insignificant at all compared with a phone antenna. The gain on the higher bands is of more use with 5g. A mobile will achieve no-where near these gain figures due to lack of ground plane and small antenna size.

The difference in speed (both sims on a 3 business contract (same contract in fact)) - > the handset was peak of 100K per second, at a point the ZTE was picking up 6-7Mbit on the same mobile tower on teh same frequency, in the same location.

Our neighbour also has issues with her phone (she was travelling with us) and had to use our wifi to be able to do anything over the weekend as well, so it wasn't just a "our" contract thing. She was actually on EE, and our sim was Three...
Remember I've used this in places the handset doesn't even receive a signal sat on the roof too! And still had useable data.

Needless to say when I upgrade to the mu5001 I'll do it myself, as I'm quite capable of moving a few cables around.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back