3 month sabbatical - Croatia & Italian lakes (1 Viewer)

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Well, after a little discussion between us, I've officially applied for a 3 month sabbatical for May, June & July 2024 (can't this year, too much already booked) and our very lose plan is a slow meander down to Croatia, maybe taking in the Italian dolomites en-route, then come back via the Italian lakes and a slow meander home again.

Never toured abroad with the van before, but we've plenty of time to plan and read everyone else's blogs and accounts here to ensure that we are well informed.

Fingers crossed work accepts my request šŸ¤ž

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Are you planning a trip abroad before? Just a short (compared to 3 months) before you go, or are you happy with how abroad works (if thatā€™s the correct term).

OP
OP
B

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Are you planning a trip abroad before? Just a short (compared to 3 months) before you go, or are you happy with how abroad works (if thatā€™s the correct term).
Nothing in the 'van, we've got benidorm and lake Garda this year - I think that we're quite happy how to go on abroad, and we've quite a long time to research and plan it out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
It's a great trip, I did similar trip in 2018 same months.
Took early retirement in 2021 so not restricted so much now except for the 90/180 day thing.
Finding the right pace is key, I think we rushed a bit early on in our trip, but we had some wet weather in France and tried to escape from it.
There's so much to see, the Alps are great, Italian lakes wonderful, Croatia National Parks and swimming in the Adriatic are not to be missed.
Lots of research but there are some useful threads on here.
Edit ; Slovenia is worth a detour too, Triglav NP and Soca river valley are breathtakingly beautful

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Done this several times. Don't be tempted to go for the most popular areas like Garda, Dubrovnik etc . Try the lesser known places like lake Cadazonna or Iseo . In Croatia try not to overlook the Makarska Riviera stretch of coastline and try some of the ACSI sites. If you've never been to Venice it might be worth visiting that. Where ever you go try to avoid school holidays as it can be busy and noisy at those times. There are some amazing places even before you get to those two countries eg The Mosel region of Germany, the lake Bled areas of Slovenia . Here is a link to my blog which i am quite proud of but you might have to scroll around for the appropriate pages . These are the appropriate pages. I would suggest that you click on the photos to enlarge them to get the full benefit. Good luck with the sabatical.

OP
OP
B

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Done this several times. Don't be tempted to go for the most popular areas like Garda, Dubrovnik etc . Try the lesser known places like lake Cadazonna or Iseo . In Croatia try not to overlook the Makarska Riviera stretch of coastline and try some of the ACSI sites. If you've never been to Venice it might be worth visiting that. Where ever you go try to avoid school holidays as it can be busy and noisy at those times. There are some amazing places even before you get to those two countries eg The Mosel region of Germany, the lake Bled areas of Slovenia . Here is a link to my blog which i am quite proud of but you might have to scroll around for the appropriate pages . These are the appropriate pages. I would suggest that you click on the photos to enlarge them to get the full benefit. Good luck with the sabatical.
Thank you Parrot Face šŸ‘

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Just been doing some planning and reading your blogs. Thank you very much for sharing. You have made such a lot of lovely trips.

Dec 10, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We weā€™re planning to go to Croatia this year however just found out that NFU only cover the Motorhome third party, so not sure if we will go there now.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
That's odd, they're a fully integrated member of the EU and have accepted all the reciprocal trading agreements etc.
I'd be inclined to ring and speak to someone if you haven't done so already.
Who is the underwriter for nfu ?

jameswrice007

Free Member
Feb 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Well, after a little discussion between us, I've officially applied for a 3 month sabbatical for May, June & July 2024 (can't this year, too much already booked) and our very lose plan is a slow meander down to Croatia, maybe taking in the Italian dolomites en-route, then come back via the Italian lakes and a slow meander home again.

Never toured abroad with the van before, but we've plenty of time to plan and read everyone else's blogs and accounts here to ensure that we are well informed.

The Dolomites is heaven on earth. Also Slovenia (around Lake Bled) is beautiful as is Austria. Iā€™d drive through Croatia and head to Bosnia (the best of all). Happy sabbatical.

Mar 11, 2019
Skipton
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ A520
Exp
Since 2013

You will love Croatia. The scenery is to die for, prices for food and fuel are good (even with the Euro) The scenery will make your jaw drop and the people are generally friendly. Camping in the summer is expensive though. Have a wonderful time

Dec 10, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
That's odd, they're a fully integrated member of the EU and have accepted all the reciprocal trading agreements etc.
I'd be inclined to ring and speak to someone if you haven't done so already.
Who is the underwriter for nfu ?
Agreed call them yesterday and that is what they said. Not sure who the underwriter is.

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
2 months in 2017, continually since October 2020
Don't forget your ESTIA, which will probably be up and running by November. Based on previous experience of new systems put in place, I would apply in good time!

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We weā€™re planning to go to Croatia this year however just found out that NFU only cover the Motorhome third party, so not sure if we will go there now.
Get a new insurer!

Croatia is a full member of the EU, inside both Schengen and Euro zones.
So if they cover France and Germany they should also cover Croatia

Mad dog

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
You're quite correct. Been with the NFU Mutual for a long time, we're in South Germany now & heading that way. We've switched to Caravan Guard because for an extra Ā£25 we can get cover there & in Montenegro & Albania too, so we can get to Greece & over to Italy. The EU breakdown is cheap at Ā£45, but I've had to have a tracker fitted.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
So last year we strayed from out usual French cycling areas where we never have any issues with just rocking up to sites/aires and headed to Italy and Germany. Be very careful around German school holidays, Bavaria 1st 2 weeks in June I think and Pentecost. The Germans head en mass for Italy ( We know that for sure!) and I believe Croatia! ACSI membership is useful as well and you may have to book ahead.

Jun 29, 2022
Bishop Auckland, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise
Exp
Wholeheartedly agree with Parrot face - if you can, visit Slovenia. Bled is gorgeous, very touristy but there are also some fantastic areas nearby. Bohinj is superb and the Vrsic pass from Kransjka Gora over to the Trenta / Soca valleys is out of this world.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Croatia is lovely but now fear the prices will massively increase as they take on the ā‚¬.

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010

We did a 6 month tour of Croatia , Northern Italy etc las year . My tips- are avoid late July / August in coastal Croatia and the National Parks ( rammed with Germans and expensive on sites), tour Slovenia donā€™t just pass through it like most folk seem to do, stick to the quieter Italian lakes.

OP
OP
B

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Well guy's, great news, my sabbatical has been approved (I'm the first in the company to do so, hence the delay) April 15th - July 15th 2024! Scary.

We're in Northumberland, so the initial planning is North Shields to IJmuiden Ferry, night or two around Holland, haven't got much planned for Germany at the moment but I'd like to visit the VW museum at Wolfsberg, then head over to Auschwitz & Krakow, through Slovakia, Hungary, and into Croatia.
From Croatia, up to Lake Bled and plan to get to lake Garda for early June so we've around 6 weeks for the above tour.
We're catching up with the youngest daughter in Garda so plan on spending three weeks or so around Garda/Como etc, then up through Switzerland and head for the romantic Road with maybe a detour to the Porsche museum at Stuttgart and continue heading north west back towards IJmuiden first week of July.

That's the plan for now, and need to start looking into each individual country to check where to go and what not to miss - got a notebook and an road atlas here plus everyones blogs and trying to put a final/flexible plan together

Phew šŸ˜Ž

Aug 25, 2022
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer car
Exp
25 years
The VW museum in Wolfsburg is fantastic well worth a visit.There is also a smaller unoficial one with some incredible vehicles on view ,can't remember the name though sure you can find it online
Chasnam

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back