Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Electric hookup saturday night on site.

My question is : 240 volt supply goes in to socket on motorhome.
The 3 , ( 3 pin ) sockets worked, we had a dvd player working, the flush for the toilet working and the blown central heating on working. Had the lights on in the van, and 2 hours and then the lights died.

I had to start the engine to boost the leisure battery to have light again, but sparingly.

Checked my zig unit and no 220 v green led on :Angry: But like i said the 240 v sockets were working fine hence the 240v mains not charging my battery up !

Can anybody shed any light on the subject ? I hope i've explained this right

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
240 Volt

I have come across the same snag with another camper but it comes and goes. It was checked out in France at a camper service centre and the techy said it was a snag with the circuit board that controls the charging. In the meantime a fused lead was fitted off the mains circuit in the leisure battery compartment and an automatic battery charger is used when it is pluged into the mains and this will charge the leisure battery and cut out when it is full.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
the only other panel is for the hot water tank tempeture '50 degrees, off position, 70 degrees. Ive look everywhere nothing else. no big fuses.

under where the rcd, is you cant get to, and there is wires but you cant get to them tidy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Unfortunately I do not no your MH.

Electrically there has to be (should be) seperate mcbs for the sockets and the charger, as they all should not be controlled by the one RCD.

You indicated your mains sockets are live. Can you trace them back to the point of entry where the RCD is. Hopefully you will find a fusebox enroute

Upvote 0

adventure

Free Member
Oct 16, 2007
somerset
Funster No
Exp
25 years
hi mark e

I am not conversant with your model but on my CI there is only one RCD on the mains input, on your control panel does the 240v light light up?

On my ci which is made by the same people the mains charger is under the drivers seat, when the mains is on my battery lights light up one after the other when you press the battery level button.

The odds are either the charger is not working or the fuse on the charger has blown so the charge is not getting through

nick

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Adventure, on my control panel the 240v light ( LED ) does not light up. Havent checked whether the LEDs change when hooked up either.

Upvote 0
G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi Mark

I knew I had seen that panel before....its the same as a McClouis!!!! only difference is the the printing...
DSC00206-1.jpg

Right when hooked up the 220 Light should be on

Charging is automatic (on McClouis) but the charger is in the base of passenger seat on a McClouis.

Can you follow wires from battery to a battery charger? look for fuses along the way.

You coming to any meets?

PS Check the zig zag stepped line symbol fuse its 25 Amp fuse in a 10 Amp slot (not good)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
George, good spotting, on the fuse. i will check that tonight.
Also noticed on the ( maclous ) that the pump switch is on, without the light switch on:
but on my motorhome, the pump switch will only come on, when i put the light switch on aswell. If the light switch is off, the pump switch will not illuminate ( wont work )
i will carry on looking tonight, but under my passanger seat theres only a 85ah battery, nothing else. Theres nothing under the drivers seat at present.

Upvote 0
G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi Mark

Note the position of the "Light" switch? it is on, its just the red LED not showing well in the flash. BTW the light bulb logo is misleading that switch kills all habitation 12v in the van toiletflush, lights everything.

Catch ya later see pm

george

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Well update on the wrong fuse, changed it for a 10 amp. opened the side door to try 240 v from house and put the electric step out. rschecked it and still no 240 v light on the control panel. Went to lock it up and no electric step, Urika, the 10 amp fuse i replaced was completly burned out, so the 25 amp fuse went back in and all is well with the step now.

Have given up on the 240 problem, even e-mailed the control manafacturer in Italy ( THANKS CI ) and they havent replyed so:

i will be buying a 16 amp battery charger, and when on electric hookup, put the battery leads onto the leisure battery under the passenger seat. So at least ill be able to use it like i want too. Lights, flush pump etc.

Thanks for all the replys ive had guys. mark.

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Mark
I don't want to bore you with this but........................... If the 10 Amp fuse that provides power to your step was replaced with a 25 Amp fuse (you proved that with the 10 Amp one blowing) then you have a serious problem with your step, well maybe not serious but it is certainly drawing a lot more than the designed 10 Amps. I would get it checked out mate, it may be as simple as it needs lubricating or crud removing from the mechanism, but basically fuses are in circuits to protect them from damage and increasing the fuse rating by such a massive margin is not good news and it is leaving the wiring to take the extra current (which it is not sized for) and could lead to a fire, remote as that may be, the potential is still there.....
If I were you I would have it checked over by a competent auto electrician or take it back to the dealer it came from and have them sort it out. It sounds to me as though you may have some strange things going on with your electrics and they need to be sorted out. If you mess with them it may invalidate any warranty that you have so do get in touch with the supplying dealer straight away to rectify the faults :Smile:
Good luck matey and do let us know how you get on.....

Keith

Upvote 0
G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi Mark

I can only echo what Keith says, it really needs checking out....

The wire in motorhomes is ALWAYS thinner than it should be, so using a larger fuse is to be avoided, the only saving grace is that its a short use circuit (ie not live for long) but if it were to get jammed.......

george

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
I'll give it a good clean, and wd40, and try a 15 amp fuse in it and see what happens...

Everybody agree then, for me to use a battery charger to top up the leisure battery ?

How many people do this ?

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I do but do not leave continuously on charge.

My charger cuts out when fully charged.From working on large battery installations in the past, it is always wise to occasionally let the battery discharge to almost flat and recharge to help prevent the plates sulphating causing loss of capacity.

Saying that, I have recently bought a zig unit off ebay which i have now wired in and it manages the battery for me and enabled me to monitor voltage level.

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 0
G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi American dream

Sorry but I have to disagree. Disharging a lead acid battery to almost flat is the surest and quickest way to kill it, never ever discharge a lead acid battery fully.

Sulphation is caused by battery being left in a discharged state, it builds up esp if you try to recharge with weak low voltage charger that cannot break down the sulphation.

Hi Mark e

Yes people do do that, it depends on the charger type how successful that will be long term. Ordinary bench charger is NOT ideal and could prove dangerous (under certain circumstances)

See pm.....

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi American dream

Sorry but I have to disagree. Disharging a lead acid battery to almost flat is the surest and quickest way to kill it, never ever discharge a lead acid battery fully.

Sulphation is caused by battery being left in a discharged state, it builds up esp if you try to recharge with weak low voltage charger that cannot break down the sulphation.

Hi Mark e

Yes people do do that, it depends on the charger type how successful that will be long term. Ordinary bench charger is NOT ideal and could prove dangerous (under certain circumstances)

See pm.....

Hi George.

I didn't mean discharge fully.Just to a safe low level.
The recharging then allows the battery to charge at it's full potential and clears the plates.

PS These were BIG batteries that were normally floated across a DC supply similar in a way to RV leisure batteries with zig unit attached and charging.I agree that leisure batteries should never be fully discharged fully as they are constructed differently to normal lead/acid car/van batteries and are more at home in a float/slow discharge situation.

I am talking Telephone Exchange batteries.

Just talking from Hands-on experience.

Steve.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi Steve

No problem, I didnt know from your post that you were talking about telephone batteries, different kettle of fish, was certainly worth clarifying..:Smile:

george

Upvote 0
G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Telephone UPS batteries are different construction/make up, but thats not important right now, So shall we agree to only discuss leisure batteries from now on to save any confusion, misunderstandings?

Upvote 0

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
You are soooo right???

You obviously have experience in Digital Exchanges.We'll have to exchange stories sometime.
Where did you work?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Mark

"Everybody agree then, for me to use a battery charger to top up the leisure battery ?"

Sorry Mark, No.

You have a problem, mains light does not come on, charger does not work, step has too high a rated fuse, all have to be resolved. There is no point in hiding the problems with a stitch up. The next problem will be when you have no power and your in an isolated spot.

If your dealer cant help then either get an auto electrician to look at it or go to a rally where I'm sure you will get help.

Whatever you do, don't do a quick stitch

Upvote 0
Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi again Mark
As I said earlier and I also agree with shortcircuit, best to get it checked out PROFESSIONALLY and as soon as possible matey.....
It sounds to me that the amateurs have already been amongst your wiring, and as George pointed out already, motorhome wiring is not the best in terms of current carrying capability, so please do get it checked out, I really don't want to be reading about your van being involved in a fire mate, I really don't :Eeek:

Let us know how you get on, and I am certain that once it is sorted properly everything will work correctly and you will have no need for adding a charger :thumb:

Keith

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
Well you'll all be glad that, on Sunday i'll be meeting the best in the business Mr George Telford on the Welsh meet in Llandovery. He's got his tools with him so, fingers crossed he will have sorted it or at least be able to tell me what needs doing.

I'll let you all know ! :winky:

Upvote 0

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Well you'll all be glad that, on Sunday i'll be meeting the best in the business Mr George Telford on the Welsh meet in Llandovery. He's got his tools with him so, fingers crossed he will have sorted it or at least be able to tell me what needs doing.

I'll let you all know ! :winky:

GREAT Look forward to feedback

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mark e

mark e

Free Member
Sep 29, 2007
Rhondda Valleys, S Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Year 3 of ownership !
SORTED :thumb: Went to the Welsh meet at Cwmcuttan, this morning. George had a look and found a charging unit, behind a fixed panel i hasant to add :Blush::Blush:. Got my 220v led on and checked everything with a multimeter. So all is well with the CI. The step screws atr a bit tight, so we'll slacken them of a bit and retry the 10 amp fuse. :thumb:

Upvote 0

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Really am delighted that the matter has been resolved correctly.

Thanks to George and its what this forum is about

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back