2030 no new diesel vans. What's your plan? (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
What I mean is a driver can work for 6 hours before he has to stop, if they do 4.15 driving and 1.45 loading or driving a crane , it’s still 6 hrs before a break of any sort.
That is not an issue. It is the non stop driving that causes issues. They set the 4.5 hour limit for a reason. Research has shown that concentration and focus falls rapidly after this point for most people. They didn't pull the 4.5 hour figure out of their hat, nor did they do it just for bureaucratic reason.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The benefits you mention are only benefits to you. They are absolutely no benefit to me. I like the noise of the various different engine configurations and I very rarely, if ever go into urban ares where the air quality is bad.
The vehicles still ( and quite a few on here do not understand this) are not progress over the vehicles we’re driving today. Mine is over 14 years old and still travels further on a tank of fuel and refuels faster than a battery car that would cost me at least ten times the money. If you honestly think that’s progress then we see progress differently.
I see it only as early beginnings. I don't live in or visit (if I can help it) urban environments either. And I love the sight and sound of a stressed ICE engine as much as any petrolhead. (I like the smell of two-strokes too😊) But I'm not unaware of the fact that 'our' views aren't shared by the majority. Once the power train and battery pack / power supply fitted to an EV have undergone the concentrated development and innovation that resulted in today's ICE engines we'll see vehicles that will be streets ahead of what's available now. One thing I do like is the level of performance available from EVs.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
We are as you rightly point out, all allowed our opinion. In my opinion if you are not safe to drive after only three hours then I suggest you either take further training or seriously consider whether the time has come for you to surrender your licence.
Sod it. How do you get to that? I said specifically, 3 hours, 4 max on longer legs of the journey. I take regular training every 10 years thank you very much and at age 50 I am a fair way off surrendering my license.

Or, as I strongly suspect, are you saying this to try to justify the laughably short range and long recharge times of your beloved battery cars?

No., I have done CPC course where they covered driver hours and the effects of driving long distance both physically and psychologically was covered as part of the safety section.

Most consumer organisations recommend 2 hours driving before taking a break. The highway code even states 2 hours then 15 minute break. Rule 91 if you want to check for yourself.

Both the AA and the RAC regularly have campaigns on driving hours.
  • Don't drive for more than 8 hours in a day
  • Take regular fifteen minute breaks in journeys over three hours
  • Aim to stop every two hours or so, especially if you're not used to driving long distances

Based on your first comment, I suggest it is time you get further training as it sounds like you may be dangerously over confident in your own abilities.

Battery cars WILL be the future unfortunately but they need to be able to show the buyers that they are progress. That’s better vehicles than we currently have. If battery vehicles are not better they are not progress.

Blah, blah. They are better in every single way except for one. Refill/recharge time. But that is not the big issue everyone is trying to make it out to be which is what the drivers hours thing came from..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Sod it. How do you get to that? I said specifically, 3 hours, 4 max on longer legs of the journey. I take regular training every 10 years thank you very much and at age 50 I am a fair way off surrendering my license.
Having driven blue light vehicles for over thirty years and having been retested every three years definitely top trumps your ten year training 😂😂😂.
I however am not the one claiming anyone driving more than three hours is dangerous.

No., I have done CPC course where they covered driver hours and the effects of driving long distance both physically and psychologically was covered as part of the safety section.

Most consumer organisations recommend 2 hours driving before taking a break. The highway code even states 2 hours then 15 minute break. Rule 91 if you want to check for yourself.

Both the AA and the RAC regularly have campaigns on driving hours.

Based on your first comment, I suggest it is time you get further training as it sounds like you may be dangerously over confident in your own abilities.

Blah, blah. They are better in every single way except for one. Refill/recharge time. But that is not the big issue everyone is trying to make it out to be which is what the drivers hours thing came from..
which one of your better in every way than refill battery cars costing the same as my pickup is worth ( not much) can travel 400 miles, has four wheel drive, will carry 1050 kg and five people? You can tell me all you want how you love battery cars. I don’t, to me they’re as interesting as a new fridge or washing machine. Very efficient but not very exiting.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I however am not the one claiming anyone driving more than three hours is dangerous.
Where did I claim that? You are trying to put words in my mouth....

I never said anyone driving more than 3 hours is dangerous. I was talking about on long journeys each stint being 3 hours is about right with 4 hours being a sensible maximum.
If you have a 5 hour drive then doing it in one stint is not necessarily dangerous, although a break halfway through would be advisable. However, doing a long distance trip stopping every 3-4 hours is sensible in my view.

HERE is what I said just to be clear and to try and prevent you putting more words in my mouth.
3 hours is about right for a stop for most sensible drivers 4 at the outside on a longer leg of a journey.

You were talking about doing 500 miles refilling then doing another 500. That is MOST DEFINITELY dangerous.

just so you can't claim I am putting words in your mouth. These are you exact words.

I can do 500 miles on a tank and then refill for another 500 miles in about five minutes.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Where did I claim that? You are trying to put words in my mouth....

I never said anyone driving more than 3 hours is dangerous. I was talking about on long journeys each stint being 3 hours is about right with 4 hours being a sensible maximum.
If you have a 5 hour drive then doing it in one stint is not necessarily dangerous, although a break halfway through would be advisable. However, doing a long distance trip stopping every 3-4 hours is sensible in my view.

HERE is what I said just to be clear and to try and prevent you putting more words in my mouth.

You were talking about doing 500 miles refilling then doing another 500. That is MOST DEFINITELY dangerous.

just so you can't claim I am putting words in your mouth. These are you exact words.
I’m not really sure of your driving ability or now your reading ability. Can you see the word between I and do? I’ll help you, it has three letters.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Just driven from Ipswich to the wheatsheaf pub outside Birmingham in the PVC, just under 200 miles, just finished a lovely meal and tomorrow will wend my way in to wales.
In an ev I would now be looking for a charger, either now or in the morning, what a pain!

Instead I can drink a few glasses and continue on my way in the morning without a care.

May 29, 2020
Ferndown, BH22 9sg, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Pepper
Exp
Since 2019
It looks like the nearer we get to 2030 we have decisions to make. Would you be mad to buy a new diesel van after say 2025? or do you think the prices of diesel will hold up in the move to electric, drop like a stone or maybe even go up?

I know that many of us will be able to hide our own easter eggs by 2030, but younger Funsters who expect to be motorhoming long into the 30's whats your plan? keep your van, buy newish now and keep it, wait and see, keep calm and carry on.
Will still have the trusty 2018 Diesel MH if I am still alive. A game change in battery technology or hydrogen cell required before this choice of holiday life hobby can move forward. Enjoy it whilst we can. Be brave and venture beyond B*I*e*I*.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Good old Amazon, I just wish they would pay their share of UK tax.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
For you maybe?
This is the last I will say on the subject. ALL the experts say that extended driving without a break is dangerous. Driving 1,000 miles with only 5 minute fillup is >14 hours of driving at 70mph average speed. More at real world speeds.

If you are saying you can do that safely... Well I would have to break rule #1 to respond to that one.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If you didn't drive for 4,5 hours you would not have a job.

Yes but if on a journey you cannot stop early :The company or driver ,if self employed, needs all 9 or 10 driving hours. It would be like taking a 2 hour break after the first stint .You can't get the full driving hours in.
I'm still waiting for the reply to the above?

This is the last I will say on the subject. ALL the experts say that extended driving without a break is dangerous. Driving 1,000 miles with only 5 minute fillup is >14 hours of driving at 70mph average speed. More at real world speeds.

If you are saying you can do that safely... Well I would have to break rule #1 to respond to that one.
I've left here at midday Friday & arrived for the 1pm boat the next day at Dunkirk. Admittedly I did have 6 hours sleep around Millau.

Gaza1515

Free Member
Feb 23, 2020
Accrington
Funster No
MH
Geist 710
Exp
Since 2015
Depends on how you define progress. No pollution and quieter, smooth, more reliable drive.

I have NEVER done 500 miles in one stint without stopping for half an hour for food/drink/toilet break.

3 hours is about right for a stop for most sensible drivers 4 at the outside on a longer leg of a journey.
Hang on, HGV drivers can drive 4 1/2 hours before they legally have to take a break of 45mins

AndyRolfe

Free Member
Sep 9, 2021
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 924F
With 6 x 150w panels on the roof you could harvest 4.5kwh per week in the summer. How much would that extend the range? Might make it more practical.
A rough calculation for a van would be 2 miles per kwh. But 6 x 150x panels would kick out a peak of 900 W per hour, so could deliver 4.5 kwh after 5 very sunny hours.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back