2.3 Fiat Multijet hunting on tickover after timing belt replacement. (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
I recently had the timing belt replaced in Portugal, couldn't arrange to get it done at my usual place in the UK. I also had it serviced but not the fuel filter which has been on for 2 years but little mileage.

Is there anything involved in changing the timing belt that would cause the tickover problem, seems to run ok and smooth tickover before.

The oil was also overfilled which I am not pleased about but done over 1000 miles and no apparent problems.

Any ideas?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I recently had the timing belt replaced in Portugal, couldn't arrange to get it done at my usual place in the UK. I also had it serviced but not the fuel filter which has been on for 2 years but little mileage.

Is there anything involved in changing the timing belt that would cause the tickover problem, seems to run ok and smooth tickover before.

The oil was also overfilled which I am not pleased about but done over 1000 miles and no apparent problems.

Any ideas?
Over filling the oil can cause various things, if you haven't drained the excess, I would do it before you do anything else.
Google over full engine oil.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
You don't mention what base vehicle or the year of it, maybe that info would be relevant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

Deleted User
Over filling the oil can cause various things, if you haven't drained the excess, I would do it before you do anything else.
Google over full engine oil.
I would have had it done but had to make this journey, 1000+ miles and no obvious signs.
I have read about the possible problems.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Hunting is usually an air leak somewhere on the inlet side. It may be worth listening to any turbo or inlet pipes you can get at to see if you can hear any tell tale hissing

OP
OP

Deleted User
Hunting is usually an air leak somewhere on the inlet side. It may be worth listening to any turbo or inlet pipes you can get at to see if you can hear any tell tale hissing
Would they be disturbed during timing belt replacement?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Not with any injection engine. The engine sees it as more air and the fuelling compensates resulting in a steady, but faster, Idle. An air bleed pre-efi caused a weak mixture and hunting.

Jan 1, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G691 LCE
Exp
Since 1974
Diesel engines work on the wide open throttle principal they regulate engine revs via fuel injection, the throttle plate in these engines is predominantly emission control, not so susceptible to inlet air leaks as petrol engines.
Depending on year of the van there are different ways of ensuring the valve timing is correct, a tooth out would cause significantly more problems than an uneven idle

OP
OP

Deleted User
Diesel engines work on the wide open throttle principal they regulate engine revs via fuel injection, the throttle plate in these engines is predominantly emission control, not so susceptible to inlet air leaks as petrol engines.
Depending on year of the van there are different ways of ensuring the valve timing is correct, a tooth out would cause significantly more problems than an uneven idle

That's what I thought re the timing being one tooth out, I hope that if it is a slight air leak it doesn't develop, I can live with a rough tickover until we get back to Portugal and let the garage have a look at it.

OP
OP

Deleted User
On older engines you can have the cam & crank correct & be one out on the pump which then isn't injecting correctly..
A lot depends on age of vehicle, whether it is old style injection or common rail .
The 2.3 multijet is common rail, so does this rule out the scenario that you describe?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The 2.3 multijet is common rail, so does this rule out the scenario that you describe?
It rules out incorrect injection but it would depend on whether it was still possible for there to be clearance between pistons & valves if cam & crank were 1 tooth out? I would think there was.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
I was thinking along those lines but thought that even one tooth out would cause more problems than rough tickover.
I had a guy do a timing belt on a Renault I used to have. It was a tooth out. Ran like a two legged dog till he fixed it.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I had a guy do a timing belt on a Renault I used to have. It was a tooth out. Ran like a two legged dog till he fixed it.
Sounds like the last dog I backed at Birmingham ... :LOL: But that was also asthmatic ...

Steve

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I changed the timing belt on my neighbour's Renault Megane, I made up the pins to lock the camshaft and pump and the threaded stud to hold the crankshaft stationary. Once the belt was tensioned, the camshaft moved back a fraction when I removed it's locking pin. The engine wound over ok, but was a bit ropey when idling. In the end, I had to skim a fraction off the cam locating pin diameter to "advance" the camshaft, which then dropped back into the proper position once the tensioner was activated. I would say the timing was out less than half a tooth, but it did make it run "lumpy".

Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I had similar trouble on last van, there are two breather pipes on top off the engine and right at the front. One of these was off. re fitted, problem solved.

OP
OP

Deleted User
I have tried one engine cleaner to no effect but I have another that I will try on the run back to Portugal.

OP
OP

Deleted User
What make belt did they use?
Our local independant won't use Gates any more had timing problems with them.
It was Gates because I asked them to use theirs as Dave Newell used those when he did the first change.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back