1st MH / PCV. ...... Need help on makes to look at (1 Viewer)

Waitforme

Free Member
Nov 14, 2018
Angus Scotland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello all
I'm contemplating buying a MH / PCV and would really appreciate some help in manufacturers to focus on , and if it is acceptable to mention on a public forum ,manufacturers to not focus on !
I was told Autotrail were the best UK manufacturer but I've read recently of quality issues. I've read of Swift having quality issues also.
I was going down the MH path until I read of more chance of damp issues than in a PCV, so am now more thinking about getting a PCV. Space really isn't too much of an issue as it will just be my wife and I who will be using it, I'm 5'8" and my wife is 5'2" , both athletically built so don't need a lot of space.
Our budget is about 45k , don't mind buying 2nd hand maybe a year / two years old if the saving was worth it over new.
So at the mo , I'm thinking , 2 berth PCV , rear bed ( we'd probably leave it made as a bed all the time).
I'm very open to advice from you folks though. Are there other factors I should be considering ?
Do all vans come with heating / AC other than what would be offered via a standard van set up ?

I'll no doubt have a lot of other questions but I think that is enough to burden you with at the moment !

Best regards.

Kenny

OP
OP
Waitforme

Waitforme

Free Member
Nov 14, 2018
Angus Scotland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Many thanks for all of your valuable advice.

I'll try and get to the big dealers near to me a see what floats my boat.
I think though that given that I'm probably going down the PVC route then most of the layouts are the same with the bed at the rear ?

I'd rather buy a two year old well known for quality conversion than a new van from a lesser quality conversion.

I think that Adria, Globecar and Wildax are getting added to the list !
The Wildax conversions do look nice from what I saw on line , and a 2 year old with 10k miles for sub 40 from a private seller, that seems very attractive.

Lots to read up on and vans to sit in etc.

I've seen some PVCs without an oven or microwave from looking at the photos on line, found that surprising.

Will need to make a list of must haves , and nice to haves.

Do most or all vans come with Cruise control ? I'm thinking that will be a must have.

Thanks again for all of your help suggestions and offers.

Kenny.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Uk Suffolk, Spain Terrazas de la Torre.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick xl
Exp
I’m a newbi
Thanks for the replies folks.
Bobjanie , storage space is something I'd not thought about , will add to my list of things to check. Also the fridge power is something I must consider also as I'll probably do a lot of weekends wild camping ( is that just a tent type phrase ?) I'll have a look at the Vans you mentioned.

The Briars , What is an under slung gas tank ??

Mikebeaches, would you go back to coach built ?

Allanm , what were the drawbacks with the first few vans you bought ?

I'm located about an 40 mins from Perthshire caravans so will have a good look around their place.

Not sure how much we will use it , I'm not quite retired yet but plan to be in maybe a year , max two years so the use will change quite a bit I'd imagine.

I wouldn't contemplate doing my own conversion and plan to buy a well known make , budget can creep a bit particularly if I think we can get by with one car and a PVC rather than two cars and van. I'm thinking I would be more inclined to use a PVC as an occasional second vehicle much more than I would with a CB.

We have no issues with parking as we live in the countryside but Im wondering if there is a size that if we go over we get penalised with ferry fares etc for the sake of maybe an extra 18" in length ?

So , recommended makes are Pilote, Benivan , Rapido, Dreamer , any others ? Are all of the previous makes non UK ?

Thanks for the info
Auto sleeper Warwick xl great looking van nice rear lounge to relax in, picking ours up on Saturday built in UK

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Although it's a way to go get to one of the major shows, spend all day sitting in vans see what you can get along with. Practice cooking eating etc to see how it works.
You will have to make compromises but small niggles become large problems when you are living in it.
Surprising 18ins makes little outside difference but an enormous change inside.
A van no larger than a large people carrier can be treated like a car for parking, from 6.5 to 7.5 is more problematic but the living space is a lot more.
Anything over 8m is classed as a large van and can be more restrictive.
As I said go to a show, make a short break away.
Hire a similar van for a few days.
The more time and researching the less chance of getting it wrong.

Upvote 0

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Auto sleeper Warwick xl great looking van nice rear lounge to relax in, picking ours up on Saturday built in UK

This is the PVC we have and now after using we are definite we chose the right one, especially with separate shower.
Fantastic van for sure and one we want to keep as long as we can.
Hope it helps.

Trikeman.

Upvote 0

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No
Many thanks for all of your valuable advice.

I'll try and get to the big dealers near to me a see what floats my boat.
I think though that given that I'm probably going down the PVC route then most of the layouts are the same with the bed at the rear ?

I'd rather buy a two year old well known for quality conversion than a new van from a lesser quality conversion.

I think that Adria, Globecar and Wildax are getting added to the list !
The Wildax conversions do look nice from what I saw on line , and a 2 year old with 10k miles for sub 40 from a private seller, that seems very attractive.

Lots to read up on and vans to sit in etc.

I've seen some PVCs without an oven or microwave from looking at the photos on line, found that surprising.

Will need to make a list of must haves , and nice to haves.

Do most or all vans come with Cruise control ? I'm thinking that will be a must have.

Thanks again for all of your help suggestions and offers.

Kenny.
I would recommend that you consider the Autosleeper range. I've got the Sussex Duo and I genuinely wouldn't swap it for any other make/model I've seen. Not Adria, Globecar or Wildax, or any of the others. It met my requirements 100%, in layout, size, fixtures and fittings, style, cost, value, etc. But one thing I've discovered is that pretty much all owners love their vans, think they are the best and wouldnt swap them. So each to his own, and I suggest that you take all personal recommendations with a pinch of salt, including mine!

As well as going to shows, I would suggest that you get to a large general dealer, who will have lots of different makes and models available, and get inside as many as possible. That way you will start to get an idea of what you like, dont like, need, dont need, what things are available, etc. That gives you something to start basing your search on, and makes getting help much easier. Plus work out exactly how you will be using it, as that also makes advice easier.

Last point - my nephew works at Highland Campers in Inverness. If you go, give him a wave. However, this is NOT a recommendation, I dont know the place, never been, dont know the quality or anything. I'm passing it on just in case you do go; I wouldnt mind a bit of independent feedback.

As ever, enjoy the search.

Upvote 0

Rolyan

Free Member
Jan 15, 2018
Funster No

Kenny.
Many of the ‘smaller’ PVC have the beds up front, with the kitchen/toilet at the rear. Then there are the ones with convertible bench seats/beds at the rear, allowing you to open the rear doors while sat/laid there (an absolute must for us, absolutely non negotiable).

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
As you and your wife are shorter, you'll fit in a rear transverse bed in a Ducato/Boxer/Relay based PVC... but those over 6 foot may have issues. Sprinter/Crafter/Traffic based vans are a little bit narrower and taper in at the top, so transverse beds are not possible (without a pop-out side).

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I also have a WildAx, in north-west Scotland. WildAxes are well winterised. Mine would be too small for you at only 5 meters but the underslung gas and heated water tanks do help to make space inside. I have 2 leisure batteries and a solar panel so can stay off-grid for a long time.
With regard to your comment on no oven or microwave: when I had a coachbuilt with both of those, I never used the oven, only used the grill for toast, and only used the microwave for things like packet rice. When I got my PVC I decided I'd prefer to use the weight and space for more storage drawers. There are plenty of things that, with a bit of research and imagination, can replace an oven eg a Double Skillet or a Mr D's (other alternatives are available :) ).
CalMac ferries tend to change price at 6, 8 and 10 meters. (I don't know about ferries to Ireland or mainland Europe.)
Calder Campervans at Livingston are WildAx dealers, though I got mine direct from the converters in Yorkshire.
https://www.caldercampers.co.uk/
https://www.wildaxmotorhomes.com/
http://www.thedoubleskilletpancompany.com/
https://mrdscookware.co.uk/

One final point Kenny @Waitforme . To continue asking questions etc you need to subscribe to the Forum - it's only £15 a year and I'm sure you'll agree, you've already had your money's worth :xwink:
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/portal/subs/

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Waitforme

Waitforme

Free Member
Nov 14, 2018
Angus Scotland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hello and a happy new year to you all.

I’ve now been to Perthshire caravans and the dealer in Perth for a look around.
There were a few I liked but one that had caught my eye but not seen in the flesh yet is the
Auto-Trail V-Line 636 Sport
It seems to tick all of the boxes, microwave, oven , 3 burner hob, u shaped rear lounge and also front dinet if the rear bed is left in place, under slung lpg tank , cruise control , passenger air bag , external shower connection, extra battery .
Am I daft to consider an Autotrail given the bad press they seem to be receiving?
The way I see it is the base vehicle is the same or similar in all of the PVCs so it the fitting out that is the difference.
I had fancied a couple of the recommended pvcs but a lot of the foreign ones only come with a 2 burner job for cooking, that was a complete no-no for us , pity as some of them are nice.
Please let me know what you think on my choice .
Thanks.
Kenny

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
WildAx will tweak their standard designs - the hob for example.
But before you totally dismiss 2 hob... remember your style of cooking won't necessarily be that same as at home...
...lot's of people prefer to cook outside to avoid steam or smells.
Gas BBQ's make for a very convenient extra cooking source, even the small cannister style burners add an extra "ring".
As for a microwave, can only be used [practically] on EHU...
The oven won't be as efficient as your domestic one - and as Wendy @CWH has mentioned there are alternatives - including the Omnia stove top which is currently being discussed on another thread.

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Am I daft to consider an Autotrail given the bad press they seem to be receiving?

If you're aware of all the issues Kenny then it can only be you that makes the ultimate decision with your own money.

We bought a new Autotrail in Sep-16 but when it started falling apart in the first few days we PX'd immediately. In the end we only lost a few thousand quid which was worth it IMO just to get rid.

If you like that type of van and spec then take a look at the Auto-Sleeper Warwick XL which is a fantastic bit of kit. It comes with solar, LPG tank, air top suspension and a whole load of other goodies as standard.

If you're very lucky then you may be able to get a 2018 model Warwick or some other AS.

If you do go for the Autotrail then be sure to pay way under the listed forecourt price since that's the brand which can be discounted most over all other manufacturers - or so my AT pals tell me.

Good luck,

Andrew

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Kenny
Like Andrew above ,i bought an Autotrai in March 18 ( new)
It was the wrong layout and within 10 WEEKS i did a deal to part exchange so it was 15 weeks old when we parted company
However it had allready started to shed bits:-

TV Aerial fell off
2 Drawer fronts (1 of which twice)
1 overhead locker catch fell off
1 sofa cushion split
Shower leaked
Kitchen sink leaked
Tap came adrift

I think that was it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Waitforme

Waitforme

Free Member
Nov 14, 2018
Angus Scotland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for your honest and helpful replies guys.

I think I could put up with the odd drawer hinge falling off etc but what has made me take a step back is the hit to the wallet should I decide to trade it for a different model / sell it etc.

There are many other vans that fit the bill but I'm not sure how we could mange for say 3 weeks away with a two ring burner for a cooker.

I live on toast , how could I manage ?

The globescout and Wildax vans look nice but only come with a two burner cooker.

Decisions decisions.........

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off

I think I could put up with the odd drawer hinge falling off etc but what has made me take a step back is the hit to the wallet should I decide to trade it for a different model / sell it etc.

There are many other vans that fit the bill but I'm not sure how we could mange for say 3 weeks away with a two ring burner for a cooker.

The globescout and Wildax vans look nice but only come with a two burner cooker.

Just a point, your ‘hit to the wallet’ is not just Autotrails, this applies to all makes

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I would add that what I have learnt is that many of the things i thought were essential turned out not to be so, and many of the things that have turned out to be essential...i had never even thought of

Break your proposed usage of the van down before making a decision
Example:- You will be in the bed(s) for 8 hours EVERY day and in front of the cooker lass than an hour a day at most
I wouldnt swap a confortabe bed for a fully equipped toast maker, nice to get both, but you get my point

Upvote 0

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015

How many do you intend cooking for? A Sunday roast and all the trimmings can be achieved with an oven/slow cooker/remoska and two rings.

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004

Get yourself a double skillet, toast and 2 burners are no problems at all, my wife Pat cooks some fantastic meals in our van with only 2 burners and the skillet.

John.

Upvote 0

Garratt

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Miskin
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer D55+
Exp
Since 2017
Just to reinforce some of the above posts, we bought a new Autotrail Imala in April 2017. We ended up putting 13,000 miles on it before trading in for a Rapido Dreamer D55+ and are happy so far. The Autotrail was not particularly well built and although we didn’t have major problems we knew from three weeks in the Alps and time away in the U.K. that we wanted to downsize, and decided to do it in plenty of time for the coming year, as I was becoming concerned that with the awful reputation of Autotrail we might not get a decent trade in price.

We went for a continental style van as we wanted a garage area for our table, chairs and other outdoor living stuff, and like a permanent bed rather than one made up from seat cushions. Our van has a washroom and separate shower, a tall 3 way fridge along with the usual other stuff that ticked all our boxes. I did a lot of decision making at shows, as this is the only way I could see to compare all of the brands and models on my list.

Based on my experience in the coachbuilt, don’t expect a three or four ring cooker to have a decent grill - we had an electric toaster for that essential toast. When away in the summer the majority of our cooking is done on the BBQ.

Finally, there have been issues with the side windows distorting in the heat on the Autotrail PVCs. Some were replaced under warranty only to warp again, and other owners had warranty claims rejected. By contrast, Autosleepers build on Peugeot Boxer vans with factory fitted glass windows, so no potential warping but no double glazing either.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Toast?
Read the various threads that mention how poor MH grills are...

Nevertheless, my Wildax has full oven and grill (which is actually quite good) despite having just two hob burners.

These have good reviews if you end up grill- less

Upvote 0

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
The best thing about touring with a PVC in the Highlands & Islands is that you can get to every out-of-the-way cafe and order a full breakfast feast of toast, bacon, eggs, sausage, haggis, beans and a cup of tea.

You don't need a toaster when you own a PVC :cool:

Upvote 0
Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
We where up at perthshire caravans at the weekend and we really liked the auto sleeper Kingham because of the layout it felt so much more open space and comfortable for the two of us we would definitely consider that in the future. As it's been said your layout has to work for yous.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back