1st May 2024 - Venice to the UK by motorbike - what / where should I visit on route? (2 Viewers)

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Any suggestions please of where to visit / what to see / what route / mountain passes to take on my journey from Venice to the UK?

A bit of background…Last autumn we had a great trip to Greece in the motorhome taking our small Husqvarna 401 with us (in the garage of the motorhome).

I have always fancied doing a bit of a bike road trip so I decided to do a one way trip back home. I arranged bike storage in Corinth which was our last stop before we headed home. My original plan was to ride from Greece overland via Croatia etc back home. I’ve chickened out of that 3,000km route and opted for a ferry from Greece to Venice which brings the distance down to around 1,300 km.

Spring has arrived it’s time to bring the bike back home.

I fly to Athens on the 28th, pick up the bike on the 29th and then catch the Patras to Venice ferry at 23:00 the same day. Arriving at around 07:00 on the 1st May.

I have no fixed timetable for getting home. The bike is small and has no wind protection so I won’t be doing big mileage each day!
When I say no timetable I’m thinking about a week to ten days as I will get lonely on my own ☹️.

Hotels will be booked day by day.

So any recommendations of places to see, things to do on my way home?

I really want to avoid the motorways.

Thanks Mr Mousy (Martin).

PS Mousy (Dawn) will be at home rather than on the back of the bike!

IMG_5357.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2015
We have done this route a few times (but in the MH), depends if you go via Austria or Switzerland we prefer the Gotthard Pass to the Stelvio. The Dolomites are amazing. Follow the Rhine north. And ENJOY!!

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
From Venice head up to Cortina D’Ampezzo. Wonderful riding in the Dolomites. Check road conditions as early May can have a lot of high routes closed by snow. If the Grossglockner Hoch Alpen Strasse is open, go for that. You will end up near Zell-am-See. Then head towards Innsbruck and then Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Enough Alpine passes for a lifetime. Head over towards Freiburg. Tootle around the Black Forest. B500 up to Bacen-Baden is over-policed on weekends but is still a beauty of a road. And then into France via Colmar and enjoy the Vosges. Don’t miss Le Route Des Cretes. Quiet and underrated but a magnificent route.
Don’t forget that May can be early in the Alps and you may find high passes closed. It can be 25c in the valley and -3 at the top so clothing needs to be suitable. Hotels, especially the biker hotels are always well informed, and a mine of information. If you want any specific hotel info get back to me.

Travel light!

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Any suggestions please of where to visit / what to see / what route / mountain passes to take on my journey from Venice to the UK?

A bit of background…Last autumn we had a great trip to Greece in the motorhome taking our small Husqvarna 401 with us (in the garage of the motorhome).

I have always fancied doing a bit of a bike road trip so I decided to do a one way trip back home. I arranged bike storage in Corinth which was our last stop before we headed home. My original plan was to ride from Greece overland via Croatia etc back home. I’ve chickened out of that 3,000km route and opted for a ferry from Greece to Venice which brings the distance down to around 1,300 km.

Spring has arrived it’s time to bring the bike back home.

I fly to Athens on the 28th, pick up the bike on the 29th and then catch the Patras to Venice ferry at 23:00 the same day. Arriving at around 07:00 on the 1st May.

I have no fixed timetable for getting home. The bike is small and has no wind protection so I won’t be doing big mileage each day!
When I say no timetable I’m thinking about a week to ten days as I will get lonely on my own ☹️.

Hotels will be booked day by day.

So any recommendations of places to see, things to do on my way home?

I really want to avoid the motorways.

Thanks Mr Mousy (Martin).

PS Mousy (Dawn) will be at home rather than on the back of the bike!

View attachment 885905
Take the road past lake Garda , visit Merano, then over reshenpass into Austria , it’s stunning, then stay overnight in a place called Serfaus , beautiful place to spend a few days, then go towards Bregenz, using the arlberg pass, crossing into Switzerland , France , through french and Belgium Ardennes and make your way to Bruges 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Don't know if any or all of the higher level passes would be suitable for a bike early mornings as still prone to icing, how about cutting across Italy to France via Ventamiglia and going up the N85 Route Napoleon up through eastern France?

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Anyone know of any bike or car museums worth seeking out on the way? Or places of interest?
I’m imagining Martin sat in village squares in the sunshine enjoying a coffee and cake. Trying not to think of him up the mountains solo!

We’ve done some of those passes in the motorhome, beautiful scenery whilst I cringed as we took the bends with a trail of biker’s behind us…

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Don’t forget that May can be early in the Alps and you may find high passes closed. It can be 25c in the valley and -3 at the top so clothing needs to be suitable. Hotels,
Very good advice.
On a solo 2,500 miles solo camping trip on my 1954 350cc Matchless I was wearing lightweight biking gear approaching the Simplon Pass but by the time I got to the top I had put on every bit of my warm clothing.
The freezing fog at the top spoiled any view..........

Freezing fog.JPG

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Anyone know of any bike or car museums worth seeking out on the way? Or places of interest?
I’m imagining Martin sat in village squares in the sunshine enjoying a coffee and cake. Trying not to think of him up the mountains solo!

We’ve done some of those passes in the motorhome, beautiful scenery whilst I cringed as we took the bends with a trail of biker’s behind us…
The Motor museum at Mulhouse. Incredible.

May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
The Plöcken pass between Italy and Austria is permanently closed...Rock falls in Dec 23, the adjoining pass the Nassfelden is brilliant for a bike, not advised for a 7m MH but a bike, yes.....

Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria
I would suggest the Ferrari museums at Modena or Maranello or Ducati at Bologna but I think that would be taking you well out of your way
How about the Museum of the 24 hrs of Le Mans?

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If coming via Stuggart I highly recommend the Mercedes museum, allow yourself a good few hours if like me you look at every vehicle in detail 😂😂 You can also visit factory and large showroom, plus try the restaurant as it’s subsidised for workers and top quality.

Also the Peugeot museum at Montbeliard in France, I was pleasantly surprised with this one. They also have a restaurant in middle of museum which is worth a visit.

Both a

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..

He likes his tea and cake, so will deffo do a lot of this Dawn! 😉

Also, having ridden a lot of mountain miles with him, he’s a bloody slow (safe) rider, I have to keep pulling over and waiting for him and I’m on a lumpy, three wheeled 250kg scooter… 🤣

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Sounds like a fantastic trip, would love to do this sort of thing… drive safe…😎

OP
OP
Mr Mousy

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
Thank you all for your suggestions…I will add them to a map so you can see all the suggestions.

Carpmart Harvey, I’ve ordered the book 👍

OP
OP
Mr Mousy

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
Well I’ve added the locations mentioned to a map…
Any last minute suggestions?
IMG_7609.jpeg

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
IMG_2839.jpeg

d0942514-94ce-4647-b85e-e3d49e5a1ca1.jpeg

Well he’s on his way. Bristol to Athens with easyjet. Arrives 23.00 hrs with no hotel booked but train recommendation to Corinth (where the motorbike is in storage).

Ferry booked from Patras to Venice Monday 23.00 hrs.

I’m nervous of him booking accommodation on the day but that’s his choice, he’s travelling very light…no idea of the number of pants but his bag seems small for such a long distance…mostly inner tubes and bike stuff.

Hopefully he will keep us all updated on his progress, for those that are interested.

Aug 15, 2023
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
he’s travelling very light…no idea of the number of pants but his bag seems small for such a long distance…
4 days...1 pair of pants. Front to back, back to front...then inside out Front to back..back to front. (y)

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
View attachment 891228

View attachment 891229

Well he’s on his way. Bristol to Athens with easyjet. Arrives 23.00 hrs with no hotel booked but train recommendation to Corinth (where the motorbike is in storage).

Ferry booked from Patras to Venice Monday 23.00 hrs.

I’m nervous of him booking accommodation on the day but that’s his choice, he’s travelling very light…no idea of the number of pants but his bag seems small for such a long distance…mostly inner tubes and bike stuff.

Hopefully he will keep us all updated on his progress, for those that are interested.
I REALLY hope he hasn’t done the usual ‘pack, unpack and repack’ - leaving out what he thinks is surplus to requirements! 🤣

Safe trip Martin. xx

PS. You’re sure he’s boarded are you? I couldn’t find him in the second photo!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back