Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
Hi all,
Firstly, following some responses to my previous question, this is not a joke, that's just in case it's a dumb question and if so I apologise in advance, but.........
I bought a tyre inflator for my MH that is for vans, trucks and lorries and will cover up to 150 psi however having tried to use it with an extension from the cigarette lighter it keeps blowing the extension fuse at around 45 psi. Should I risk a heavier fuse?

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Do you know the current rating of the fuse which is blowing? Normally cigarette lighter sockets will be rated at a max of 10 amps, but may be lower. The cable size of the extension cable also needs to be considered.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I think you will find that the pump will draw far too much current for your cig lighter socket. It will certainly over heat and possibly damage the socket and or flatten your engine battery. Mine comes with Spring clips and I clip it straight on to the leisure battery which for me are quite conveniently in a side locker. If you drain your leisure battery pumping up a tyre you just don't watch tv if you drain your engine battery you don't go anywhere. Buy some Spring clips and make up a thick extension lead if need be.
Steve

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I bought a 12v socket connected to crocodile clips (standard accessory). Simply clip to battery and plug tyre inflator into it.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
I think you will find that the pump will draw far too much current for your cig lighter socket.
That will depend on the pump, I have one which works OK on the cig lighter socket, Its quite slow but will take my tyre's up to 65 without any problems.

A couple more questions for the OP. Did the pump come with a cig lighter plug fitted? If so will it pump up a tyre plugged directly into a socket ( if it will reach one).

OP
OP
Euphony

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
H
Do you know the current rating of the fuse which is blowing? Normally cigarette lighter sockets will be rated at a max of 10 amps, but may be lower. The cable size of the extension cable also needs to be considered.
Hi, it's a 5A at the moment.

OP
OP
Euphony

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
Hi,
That will depend on the pump, I have one which works OK on the cig lighter socket, Its quite slow but will take my tyre's up to 65 without any problems.

A couple more questions for the OP. Did the pump come with a cig lighter plug fitted? If so will it pump up a tyre plugged directly into a socket ( if it will reach one).
Hi, yes it came with one fitted and works fine on the front tyres but the cable isn't long enough to reach my rear wheels

OP
OP
Euphony

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I think you will find that the pump will draw far too much current for your cig lighter socket. It will certainly over heat and possibly damage the socket and or flatten your engine battery. Mine comes with Spring clips and I clip it straight on to the leisure battery which for me are quite conveniently in a side locker. If you drain your leisure battery pumping up a tyre you just don't watch tv if you drain your engine battery you don't go anywhere. Buy some Spring clips and make up a thick extension lead if need be.
Steve
Thanks, that sounds like an ideal solution.

OP
OP
Euphony

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I bought a 12v socket connected to crocodile clips (standard accessory). Simply clip to battery and plug tyre inflator into it.
Hi, thanks I'll order one online now and it'll be ready for me when we get home.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I extended mine using the same gauge wire as original to suit my 32ft RV.
The total length was around 20ft and the volt drop was so severe the compressor ran at less than half speed and couldn't get past around 20psi....I needed 80psi.
So....I extended the actual air hose instead.
All it did, because the compressor piston delivery was so small, was compress the air in the hose then release the pressure on the pistols down stroke so nothing came out the hose.
I returned everything back to standard and used an old car battery to power it.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

good idea in principle, we have no access to either leisure battery or starter battery terminals o_O

better to use a forecourt pump, even if it needs paying for, unless your tyre is very flat you should be able to drive it to a garage, if very flat it is probably already beyond a compressor to fix it (y)

edit - we also have a plug in compressor though and find we need to run the engine to get the pump speed anywhere near good enough, but as said above still struggle to get as much pressure as we need

OP
OP
Euphony

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
good idea in principle, we have no access to either leisure battery or starter battery terminals o_O

better to use a forecourt pump, even if it needs paying for, unless your tyre is very flat you should be able to drive it to a garage, if very flat it is probably already beyond a compressor to fix it (y)

Hi, It's not the paying for it that made me spend £60 on a heavy duty inflator which incidentally has a "flat" setting, it was the convenience of doing it at my storage before I hit the road.
I have easy access to either of my 2 leisure batteries so it's an easy fix and good fit for my needs I think.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
better to use a forecourt pump, even if it needs paying for, unless your tyre is very flat you should be able to drive it to a garage, if very flat it is probably already beyond a compressor to fix it.
Not necessarily, We run at 80psi and when we had a soft tyre on Spain tried four garages and they all let the tyre down because they couldn't do the pressure. We finally found a tyre company that had an airline that could do 80psi. Which is why we bought our compressor.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi, It's not the paying for it that made me spend £60 on a heavy duty inflator which incidentally has a "flat" setting, it was the convenience of doing it at my storage before I hit the road.
I have easy access to either of my 2 leisure batteries so it's an easy fix and good fit for my needs I think.
Same reason I got our RAC900 inflater and as it's rated at 23A it only comes with crocodile clips to connect directly to an appropriate battery.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I bought a hand track pump. Pumps up to 120Psi for the cycle tyres but also does the MH tyres as well. Other advantages include non electric and keeps you fit.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
this might be a daft question so apologies

can you connect one of these to the jump start terminals under the bonnet? Does that allow a voltage out?

our cab battery is buried under the passenger foot well and the leisure batteries are too tall to get access under the charger unit to the rear terminal

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

can you connect one of these to the jump start terminals under the bonnet? Does that allow a voltage out?

our cab battery is buried under the passenger foot well and the leisure batteries are too tall to get access under the charger unit to the rear terminal
Yes, the jump start terminals are permanently connected to the vehicle battery. :)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

Positive lead connected to positive terminal on battery and negative lead connected to the earth point on our Ducato works for me (from memory) but as the leisure battery is easier access I normally use that.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Yes you can, and that is un-fused so the compressors current isn't an issue.
It's connected directly to the battery to enable jump starting.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Assume your van is a Fiat from you avita, the dash socket should be fused at 15 amps which should be OK for the pump.
Are you getting a good connection because Fiat sockets are right at the top end of the DIN tolerance, so the plug may be a lose fit and arcing.
I find the Fiat supplied pump works fine and can get the tyres up to 80psi without a problem but the plug won't fit into most car sockets as I found out when my daughter had a flat.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Our local tyre fitters have a "we will check your tyres for free" offer which I minimise down to checking and fixing the tyre pressures. They reckon their pumps are more accurate and calibrated more often than something shop bought or at a petrol station. Have used them to buy tyres, after haggling, so benefits all.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
H

Hi, it's a 5A at the moment.
Hi.
It sounds as if the extension lead is a light duty one that will not handle the current. As mentioned a lead witch clips on to the battery sounds your best option, just make sure it is heavy enough duty.

It is best to check the tyre pressures before you drive the vehicle, as long as the wheels have not been in the sun, it is surprising how quickly the pressures rise on moving the vehicle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back