125cc Motorcycle, with gears, for novice (passed Theory and CBT) - anyone selling? (1 Viewer)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
6'2" and a Rugby 17st does look a bit daft on anything smaller. 😁. Plus it is just for me to learn on.
The guy that rides the one in front of mine is about your size and weight, 180hp of balls out fun. 👌🏻
0D36F273-C00D-41E9-B707-3468DD2AB188.jpeg

Nov 7, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
No longer a Newbie
Just before the pandemic for my 75th birthday and out of sheer devilment I bought a new Honda CBF 125 and straightaway rode it to Spain (I only have use of my left arm and hand - I Velcro my right glove to the grip to keep it out of trouble). My sons fancied accompanying me and we toured for a week then rode back. I cruised it at 60 to 65 and it never missed a beat during the 2,800 miles.
I've been riding my collection of 1940's and 1950's Brit bikes for 50 years so the actual riding wasn't new to me.

View attachment 552028
Fair play to you sir! 👍👍👍

But I read that you only have use of your left arm and hand. I’m intrigued, your bike(s) don’t appear to be modified. Ie throttle n brake??
How are you getting over the problem?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
But I read that you only have use of your left arm and hand. I’m intrigued, your bike(s) don’t appear to be modified. Ie throttle n brake??
How are you getting over the problem?
I've adapted my 3 bikes (a 1947 AJS and 1954 Matchless and a 2016 Herald) with clutch and front brake levers on the left. My right glove is Velcro'd to an upstand on the twistgrip which I operate by pulling my shoulder back and it's a bit 'all or nothing'. :oops:
2K lever 2.JPG

I don't have any interest in modern bikes at all having always ridden 40's and 50's bikes but for various reasons I'm only really safe riding the old clunkers off-road.
When I first tried to ride again about a year after the accident I modified a 'Twist 'n Go' Honda 90 just to be able to re-join my pals on runs. I'd never before ridden a Twist 'n Go and on my first ride I stopped at a tee junction at the end of my road. I looked right, left and I as twisted to look right again I pulled my right shoulder back too far...........the throttle opened and I shot across the road and up the drive of a house opposite. Once I'd had more practice I joined my Hell's Angina club pals on Sunday runs, thrashing the guts out of the Honda to keep up.

Sprid group Honda Apl 6th 2012.JPG

I then bought the Honda CBF 125 (aka the 'Grudge Special') on which I rode to and toured Spain as mentioned plus several tours in Normandy.
For a bit more torque than the 125 I bought the 250 Herald (aka the 'Mutchless') which is my regular (but reliably boring) everyday ride although at 76 years old I don't deliberately do rain.

I guess you can appreciate why I'm devoted to my '47 AJS 500cc and my 1954 Matchless 350cc.

47 Mod 18 large.JPG

One of my very many foreign tours on the '54 Matchless below was a 3 month 4.400 mile camping trip through France, Spain, Portugal, Andorra, Switz, Austria, Germany, Belgium. It never missed a beat. I camped every night (some wild) and cooked and ate every meal except 3 at the tent.

Resting in P from CD.jpeg

I also did an extended 'Grab-a-Granny' tour in France on the Matchless with ten pre-arranged 'dates' but that's another story. ;)

Anyway, that's quite enough about me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back